'70 Duster build-up...

-

Beatnik

Reaction score
Well figured since I didnt sell the Duster I may as well start a thread on it....

Here's the quick/dirty. Picked her up last year. She's got a stock 360/727 and 8 3/4 w/ 3.23 Sure-Grip. Orig /6 car. Reddish/orange color w/ black buckets. Mini-tubbed but springs not moved in. Rest is what'cha see...

So far:
- Updgraded w/ old school DC valve covers, FBO ignition, plug wires/cap/rotor...Z-Alt oil etc...all the normal tuneup stuff
- Ditched the slots cause they were too small and got some Pro-Star look wheels from Summit. Just put 275/50/15 Drag Radials on today that replaced the 255/60/15 Kelly's. MUCH BETTER!
- Ditched the cloth Toyota buckets (yuck) and the orig buckets recovered and the back bench as well

Plans:
- New top end going in this spring. Fresh heads, Hughes "Whiplash" cam or Voodoo 60403 "268". Got the Voodoo on the shelf...but thinking of selling it and going Whiplash.
- Got a built 727 on the bench w/ TCI Streetfighter and Cheetah Rev man valve body ready to go in
- It's also getting a 6 pack hood, and requisite flat black side stripes from Challenger Gary soon! Just a little too much red w/o a stripe on the side to break it up!

Should be able to make good use of the new Drag Radials when the drivetrain is buttoned up in the next month or two

Here's some pics in (somewhat) chronological order...

The Beginning!!!

Attachments

• Duster 3.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 1,167
More pics...

Attachments

• Copy of Duster 6.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 1,162
  • engine 2.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 1,124
  • P1020245.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 1,149
  • P1020254.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 1,141
  • P1020255.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 1,153
Hey guys...nope. No offset kit. Side wall is a good 1" from fender (which are rolled) but they are REAL close to the leaf springs. More specifically the spring clamps! Like 1/16" close...so I may run a really small spacer or move 'em in w/ an offset kit. Probably space it just a little until I can get around to moving the springs in a touch....I had my fingers crossed that I'd have enough room but it just barely wasnt so!

Rims are 15x8 w/ 4.5" backspace (4" or little less and I would have been golden). Rear is an 8 3/4 which I believe (but not sure) is out of a B-body, thus it's a touch wider than an A-body rear would be. I think that's why I'm oh so close to being able to clear these tires. My 255/60's cleared easily....

All big bolt pattern....w/ disc's up front.

Update! 3/26/12

New built 727 is in w/ TCI Streetfighter convertor and Seymour's awesome sub-frame connectors too!. What a difference. 727 built locally by an old experienced guy (arent they the best?). 5.0 lever, 4 pinion planetary, steel drum, alto clutches, Cope deep pan and fancy locking dipstick blah blah blah. Dropped the front end a bit to get the stance right and aligned it up. Man it goes better now, feels better on the road too...just more precise.

Pics...more to come, gotta upload pics of painted connectors and new improved lower meaner stance!

Attachments

• Connectors 2.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 1,033
  • Connectors 3.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 1,022
  • Conn.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 1,019
  • Trans 2.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 1,012
  • New Trans 1.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 1,007
Got some stripes on! Finally got the stripes from Challenger Gary on...they came out nice...

P1000672.jpg

P1000666.jpg

P1000671.jpg

wow thats almost as nice as mine:D

Attachments

• a body parts cars 044.JPG
    140.6 KB · Views: 981
Thanks for all the compliments guys! Makes me feel like I'm going in the right direction....

:D

Awesome looking Duster! :thumbup:

What size tubing did you make the frame connectors out of?

Oh, and I'd bet that's actually an A body 8 3/4. If it were a B body, you could run more than 4.5" backspace without getting into the springs. The wider rear and same location for the perches means you can run a lot more backspace. Pretty helpful actually if you're running larger, newer rims (like Mustang Bullits) as they all seem to have a ton of backspace.

Awesome looking Duster! :thumbup:

What size tubing did you make the frame connectors out of?

Oh, and I'd bet that's actually an A body 8 3/4. If it were a B body, you could run more than 4.5" backspace without getting into the springs. The wider rear and same location for the perches means you can run a lot more backspace. Pretty helpful actually if you're running larger, newer rims (like Mustang Bullits) as they all seem to have a ton of backspace.

Hey thanks! Yea it's probably an A-body rear your right! If my wheels were 4" backspace they'd be perfect! Little close to the springs with 4.5"...but that's what I had to get. They work until I move the springs in and get 10" wheels!

The frame connectors are from a member SeymourScamp here on FABO! http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=124360

Ok opinions please...based on my (crude) mockup...should I get the ladder stripe decal from challengergary? Gary, your vote doesnt count! LOL...

P1000757.jpg

P1000760.jpg

+1 for strobe/ladder stripe. Think it looks good with it...IMHO. :thumbup:

Ok opinions please...based on my (crude) mockup...should I get the ladder stripe decal from challengergary? Gary, your vote doesnt count! LOL...

P1000757.jpg

P1000760.jpg
I wish i could get this in purple from him, but he doesn't carry purple :(

Hey thanks! Yea it's probably an A-body rear your right! If my wheels were 4" backspace they'd be perfect! Little close to the springs with 4.5"...but that's what I had to get. They work until I move the springs in and get 10" wheels!

The frame connectors are from a member SeymourScamp here on FABO! http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=124360

Yeah, I have the Bbody in my duster. I had 4in backspacing on the 8 1/4 which helped a lot, but when I switched over to the B Body, the wheels are sticking out, not cool! But, I still have the 4.5bs wheels and now it will look real nice. I just wish I knew if I could fit 315/60/15s on there with this darn rear and lower it like yours. LOVE THE CAR AND STANCE!:prayer::cheers:

Hey guys...nope. No offset kit. Side wall is a good 1" from fender (which are rolled) but they are REAL close to the leaf springs. More specifically the spring clamps! Like 1/16" close...so I may run a really small spacer or move 'em in w/ an offset kit. Probably space it just a little until I can get around to moving the springs in a touch....I had my fingers crossed that I'd have enough room but it just barely wasnt so!

Rims are 15x8 w/ 4.5" backspace (4" or little less and I would have been golden). Rear is an 8 3/4 which I believe (but not sure) is out of a B-body, thus it's a touch wider than an A-body rear would be. I think that's why I'm oh so close to being able to clear these tires. My 255/60's cleared easily....

All big bolt pattern....w/ disc's up front.

4.5 with b body would be golden. 4in with a A body rear is perfect.

FWIW I think the Voodoo cam will make more power than the Whiplash, probably won't sound as cool though. Also I vote 'yes' on the ladder stripe lol...

That's a sweet Duster, thumbs up!!

Update...the past few weeks the Duster has had a alot done to it. It's been in the works for Andre (ironside here on FABO) to get it up to his place for an engine swap. Found another LA 360 locally that was supposed to be a hot street engine. Well finally it happened...all the gory details below with pics! I have to thank Andre for all his hard work, a simple engine swap progressed into a complete front end refurb after finding issues on spindles, k-member welds, pivot cups busted out etc, etc. He has been awesome! One of the good guys in our hobby, I'm lucky he lives nearby or all this would have never gotten done so well and so quickly.....and on to details.

Duster up at Andre's a couple weeks ago...motor's out

New 360 on the stand. Timing cover off. Hughes "Whiplash" cam going in and R.Ehrenberg's timing chain tensioner...

In the process of doing new rotors and calipers and converting over the brakes to manual with a new alluminum master Andre noticed some issues to say the least! Spindles being a little scary AND k-member issues. Both pivot cups busted out! Yikes...Andre blasted and repaired the k-member and it's good as new (probably better) now! Also ordered brand new spindles from RAMMAN...

Old Spindles!

Pivot cups should not come out like that!

K-member out and getting all welded up and repaired better than new!

Also spruced up the LCA's with new pivot inserts (thanks to Ron aka "416Stroker" here for the new ones!), cleaned, painted and reinforced!

LCA's back in, new strut rod bushings too etc...

K-member done and installed! New Manual steering box in....waiting on Firm Feel tubular uppers and pwr to man coupler!

While waiting for the rest of the front suspension....back to the motor. New Eddy Air-Gap shot with clear and shiny new Doug's Headers waiting their turn...

New 360 ready to drop back in! "Whiplash" cam degree'd in perfectly, everything back together with a new CVF pulley kit etc etc...

Street Demon carb back on for now. We'll see how long it lasts, I'm sure it'll run good but I'm thinking a Quick Fuel 680 VS is in the future at some point.

Was fired up today and cam broke in successfully, no issues, running great, no leaks or bad noises and great oil pressure!....gotta get a vid of it posted up. Still waiting on RAMMAN's spindles so the front end and brakes can be buttoned up! Then some timing and carb tuning and she'll be ready to hit the streets (and track) again! Cant wait...more to come in coming days later this week!

-
Back