70 Duster Rear Drum Help

-

Links

Reaction score
Just bought the car and have no history. Rear brake drums are 10" 5 X 4.5" bolt pattern and no one has these drums that I have contacted. The brake shoe surface is 1 3/4" wide. Is this rear a hybrid? Can anyone identify these drums?

I seem to remember this same issue 30 years ago with my last Duster.

has somebody re drilled the bolt circle and changed axles?
got a pic?

There is 2 bolt patterns, I didn't know if that was universal or not. I can cut them but wanted new.

Attachments

• IMG_20131204_092939.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_20131204_092949.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 105
There is 2 bolt patterns, I didn't know if that was universal or not. I can cut them but wanted new.

That is the 70 to 72 bell drum that is the factory style for our A-bodies.

There is no factory drum that has the two patterns like that so it must have been drilled when the axles were modified.

That is the 70 to 72 bell drum that is the factory style for our A-bodies.

There is no factory drum that has the two patterns like that so it must have been drilled when the axles were modified.

I think I can cut them, they are a little thin though. Disc conversion in the near future or maybe Control Freak front and rear with Wilwood. Or maybe sell it!?!

You probably have a swapped rear-end, and larger. The bell-shaped drums are rare. I recall recent discussion of using later (non-bell) drums intended for wider shoes. Someone claimed that would cause a taper-wear issue, but that wouldn't concern me. Your factory shoes just wouldn't contact the full surface, or perhaps you could install wider shoes on the backing plate.

-
Back