70 swinger stripe goes over valence crack ??

-

scottmd

Reaction score
On the 70 swinger stripe what do you do where the lower quarter meets the rear valence? Tape over, tuck in, cut , fold in the two ends ??.on Any picts of the proper way??

The factory stripe only went to the rear valance seam, I would cut it, if you go over it water and dirt will get in the seam and loosen the stripe.

HHMMMM....now i'm not sure, in the pic I found on the web it looks like it goes over the seam. Funny, its hard to find good pics of that stripe when you need it. My 70 340 is stripe delete so I can't look there lol! I think I was confused because I always thought the stripe should have gone all the way around on the valance too...the bottom pics are from my factory photo's so it shows they considered it too :glasses7:

Attachments

• MySwinger2.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 309
  • DSC08542.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 316
  • DSC08544.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 310
  • DSC08545.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 327
Here is another

Attachments

• 14b08e09-f23d-4176-8004-a4be324d8aa7.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 307
They are cut. When they are done well it's almost unnoticeable.

attachment.php

I would think it should be cut and some material left for awarp around... but is that the way they come fom the factory? Any day one picures or verification ? Thanks

I ran mine straight down,no cutting. I have a hard time thinking the factory would take the time to cut them,with a razor.

mine go over the seam .... is it me, or do those old pics look like the stripe goes over the valence too ?

mine go over the seam .... is it me, or do those old pics look like the stripe goes over the valence too ?
that's what it looks like- like Lance said, maybe they should wrap all the way around the bumper...anyone have a survivor with an original set that looks like that?

I agree.. it looks that way in those pics.. I would be willing to bet that it was their intention to put the stripe all the way around.. and did so for the promotional cars... I would also be willing to bet that they probably decided it was more trouble than it was worth and nixed the valance portion of the stripe... I would be curious though to see some true survivors as well to see if any actually came off the line for sale with the stripe all the way around...

Rani, you always get in on these Dart discussions, any thoughts? lol

I have always thought they were incomplete too. As always it probably ended up as a cost cutting effort. Just like frame rail connectors. Shoulda kept them Mopar.

that's what it looks like- like Lance said, maybe they should wrap all the way around the bumper...anyone have a survivor with an original set that looks like that?
im pretty sure the press release/ promo car ad was the only one that demonstrated the belt completely around the bumper , and for whatever reasons, it was deleted during the actual production run. either way , if I had a swinger with a belt , it would for sure be a complete loop around the bumper so that it looks finished.

Yes agree strip looks incomplete ..but was what did the factory do at the quarter /valence seam area ?The car was painted , they certainly won`t remove the valence but without lots of wrap around it is hard to cover body color in the crack with just cutting the strip .Was surplus material left for a slighttuck/ fold in. Surely some one has a surviver ??

either way , if I had a swinger with a belt , it would for sure be a complete loop around the bumper so that it looks finished.
funny thing is that I never noticed it before- now, on a car like the green one 66340 posted, it just looks wrong. And I'm going to notice it on every car I see now:D

funny thing is that I never noticed it before- now, on a car like the green one 66340 posted, it just looks wrong. And I'm going to notice it on every car I see now:D

I think it looks wrong on the green one just siimply because of the angle... lol.. which is probably why Ma Mopar flirted with (and ultimatley did with the promo car) putting the stripe the whole way around.. LOL ..

Someone help me out here.. werent the stripes painted fron the factory? I always though stencils were used to paint the stripes on... I have seen Swinger stripes on trunk lids and older left for dead darts that were all faded (like paint would) a decal or graphic wouldnt fade that way... Someone with more knowldege chime in..

FWIW, the pics in the Hamtramck docs look like it's airbrushed.

The pic is the same, but one shows the stripe, one shows no stripe, but there might be part of a stripe visible on the left quarter?

-
Back