70DartMike's road trip across Canada / US

-
We drove back to Moncton, New Brunswick, where we stopped at John's (1968Dartman) and had dinner with him and his wife. Then I had the chance to meet leblanc, who wasn't able to bring his car, but brought pictures of it. He's the original owner of his 1975 (?) Dart Sport. We also met QWKSLVR and his wife, who brought their beautiful 1969 Barracuda notch, 340.. I'll put up pics of it later. We drove to the Bay Of Fundy today, and then to St John through the backroads. We drove past some old farmer's house who had brought all his old cars from his barn out front and parked them on the lawn. We actually thought it was a car show at first, until he said that they were all his, that he was just bringing them out to move them around. He had about 15, maybe more, all running/driving, all in gorgeous shape. There was an Edsel, a Monarch, a bunch of 50's Fords, a 64 Galaxie 500 XL, a Chrysler wagon, and some others.

Anyways, tomorrow we'll drive through the Canada/US border into Maine. Up until now, I've been checking FABO and updating the thread a lot on my phone, but we're turning our phones off to avoid roaming charges. I'll be updating whenever we stop somewhere with wifi, but that's about it.

Again, PM me, or comment here if you'd like to meet up. We'll stop by (as long as we're in that area).

I'll put up pics later.

Newfoundland..

Getting a little foggy..

The winds at this point (Upper Island Cove) were around 80 KMH (50 MPH)

Signal Hill, St John's.

023_zps520d9a0b.jpg

St. John's, Newfoundland.

Leaving Cape Breton..

Lockporte, Nova Scotia.

First provincial street in Nova Scotia with original houses from early 1700's.

033_zpsad648ea7.jpg
[/URL]

One of Carmen's relatives built this building. It was an Inn at one point, but looks abandoned now..

Shelburne, Nova Scotia.

The old well in Shelburne, Nova Scotia. Funny how they kept it there, but built the street around it.

More pics coming later, including the small 'car show'.

Wow!! I am getting a great tour and setting in my chair here in Arkansas of Canada :cheers:
Thank you for doing this thread for this Arkansan 70DartMike, You and your wife look so happy and living a dream most of us have in our to do list one day.
Here on the hill in the sticks picture just for you :D Yes it is almost summer
here and I have mowed 2 times, having these tree does keep the grass from growing fast thank goodness :D

My wife took over my old car shelter :D and she has kept me busy :glasses7:

I hope you have an enjoying evening and so happy to see you are meeting some members :cheers:

Attachments

• OLD MEMORIES 105.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 193
  • OLD MEMORIES 106.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 197
  • OLD MEMORIES 116.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 184
  • OLD MEMORIES 055.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 187
Well, crossing the border was hell.

We had to pull into the vehicle search area, like I figured they would ask us to. That was fine though, as we didn't have anything to hide. They rifled through our van like I figured they would. The shitty part was being interrogated for over 2 hours. Seriously?? We're just traveling through the US, to see different scenery than Canada.
From having my wallet torn apart, to asking what each and every card was, and why I had a policy # (extended medical). Then I had to stand in a square of tile, while I had to empty everything from my pockets, which was just my cell phone.. they already had everything else. Then I was told if I left my square, that I would regret it as I would get seriously hurt. Then they took Carmen's purse, and dumped it all out, rifling through all her things. Then they took our cell phones, which have passwords on them. In Canada, if your cell has a password, an officer does not have permission to search your phone. Well, we were forced to give up our passwords, and then told to sit and wait. The officer went through our phones, every single text message, every single web page we looked at, went through all our pictures (of course we both have pictures on there we don't like anyone seeing except each other). The whole time, he would yell at me and treat me like garbage, and then turn and laugh with his buddies. Then I was interrogated on every text, including who my cousin was, if he really was my cousin, about the texts from my deceased father, etc. Then he asked Carmen to log into her bank account online and show him exactly how much she had in each account. Then we were told we should drive right along the border, in case our van breaks down and doesn't make it. Nothing old is reliable anymore, right?
Anyways.. just a little PO'd about it. We feel a little violated, as we were very polite, we didn't hide anything, and we didn't give any attitude. And we were still treated like garbage.
We're in Maine now, where we really like your cheap gas. You guys are still under $1 a litre!! I never want to hear anyone complain about gas prices again, lol. Here in Maine, we're paying about $3.55 a gallon, at home we're paying $5.30 or more a gallon.
We also enjoy loading up on cheap beer/wine in Walmart. Everything is literally half price what we're paying at home.

That sucks!! Glad to see you made it through without a cavity search!

By the end of it, we were surprised we didn't get one. Carmen describes a lot of it in her blog too, that I didn't write here.

greengetawayvan.blogspot.com

I realize this is just the US/Mexico border, however, I feel it should be used everywhere.

http://skift.com/2013/03/09/border-...trary-searches-of-laptops-and-mobile-devices/

2 weeks ago, May 9, 2013, a law was passed stating border patrol officers cannot search your laptop or phone unless they feel you are doing criminal acts. They cannot read through your personal information on your device if you're just passing through the border on vacation, etc.

Neither Carmen or I have ever had any kind of criminal record or problem with the police/border officials.

The power they feel while interrogating you, and yelling at you about things so simple, is ridiculous. Not to mention there were 5 other officers laughing at us in our faces. They were having a great time.

Anyways, on a good note, I got some great pics of QWKSLVR's gorgeous 69 Barracuda. It has a 340, but was originally a 318 car, but came from the factory with a 150 MPH speedo!

Not much excitement, our GPS likes to keep us on the interstate, however we have wandered off a bit. We're coming close to Syracuse, New York. Heading for "A Christmas Story" House in Cleveland. Going to try to make it to the Mopar show in Farmington, Minnesota on June 1 & 2.
I did come across a nice 2 door ht 1965 Valiant Signet, /6, floor shift auto for sale off route 20 in NY. I'll put up the pics I took of it later.

Hey Mike, try a different setting on that GPS. You can change the type of routes to get to the same destinations.
BTW: Mopars in the park is a good show and lots of members.
Have fun!!!

Hi. Sorry to hear about your trouble crossing the border. The wife and I cross over two or three times a year and have never had any problems at all. Thanks for the kind words. We forgot to get a picture together before we left, only thought about it when we got home. It was great meeting you and Carmen and I hopr you have a great trip home. Bobby

Sorry to hear Mike about the US border issues. I can tell you from experience that mostb US and Canadian border patrols are A-holes. Be prepared for a delay coming back into Canada too. Hope not though!

QWKSLVR's car is beautiful by the way!
Keep the pics coming

Sorry I missed you Mike. It would have been good to meet and share some stories.
The guys at the border are A**holes at best. Sounds like you caught them at their worst. Worst thing about it is if you give them any sass at all they just refuse you entry after delaying you for hours. And then it is so much for your plans.
Hope all goes well on the rest of the trip.

Jack

Bummer about the border, that sucks. I hope you both are able to make it to MN next weekend June 1st and 2nd for the Mopar show, be cool to meet you, there will be several FABO members there too! If you miss it, you can always visit me...have fun and a safe trip :glasses7:

Not sure if we'll make it to the Mopar show. Not because we'll miss it, but because we'll be in Minnesota too early. We don't really have the timing down to hang around a few days to make the show, it was more if we got to Minnesota when the show was happening, we'd hang out for a bit.
But we'd still like to meet you Keith, if you're up for it!

Damn, that picture must be stretched, am I normally that fat?

Remember the camera adds 10 lbs, well maybe 40 in your case :evil4: :shock:

I'm just getting caught up on your thread, only half way through or so

Well I'm all caught up now. Some very cool pics and a great adventure, other than the border part. It's sad that they have so much power over you and then choose to use it for kicks, you two are far from being a suspicious looking couple.

Keep the pics and story coming :thumbup:

We'll see you sometime when you're back

Thanks Rob, ya it's shitty how they treat people. They let a few other families go through with no problems, but held us up.

Anyways, we're in Wisconsin now, heading for Theresa where there is a cheese farm we want to see. Indiana had a ton of cool old cars! I took a few pics of a very nice 66/67 Plymouth GTX, big block, 4 speed for sale on a lot in LaPorte, I'll post later. Here are 2 pics I snapped with my phone.

Olds Delta 88, seats were wrapped in plastic.

5644B782-A7FE-410A-8750-7708CE51A422-947-000000753A622B36_zps65169eee.jpg

Pontiac LeMans Sport, was very clean.

FFEB8594-ABB8-4A7A-8B3B-ABB0F6422A52-947-00000075442D6490_zpsf72404c8.jpg

We're a few hours from St. Cloud, Minnesota, so hopefully we'll get to meet up with Keith today if he's available.
Then we'll head for Sturgis, SD. My dad used to ride down to the big Harley meet they have each year.

Not bad, rear main has started to go I believe, but so have the rings. But I "think" the pan has slowed down leaking.. Lol so between the rear main leaking, and the engine burning oil and gas, we buy almost as much oil as gas it seems. Oh and the back doors leak like a bastard when it pours rain :)

Well, crossing the border was hell.

We had to pull into the vehicle search area, like I figured they would ask us to. That was fine though, as we didn't have anything to hide. They rifled through our van like I figured they would. The shitty part was being interrogated for over 2 hours. Seriously?? We're just traveling through the US, to see different scenery than Canada.
From having my wallet torn apart, to asking what each and every card was, and why I had a policy # (extended medical). Then I had to stand in a square of tile, while I had to empty everything from my pockets, which was just my cell phone.. they already had everything else. Then I was told if I left my square, that I would regret it as I would get seriously hurt. Then they took Carmen's purse, and dumped it all out, rifling through all her things. Then they took our cell phones, which have passwords on them. In Canada, if your cell has a password, an officer does not have permission to search your phone. Well, we were forced to give up our passwords, and then told to sit and wait. The officer went through our phones, every single text message, every single web page we looked at, went through all our pictures (of course we both have pictures on there we don't like anyone seeing except each other). The whole time, he would yell at me and treat me like garbage, and then turn and laugh with his buddies. Then I was interrogated on every text, including who my cousin was, if he really was my cousin, about the texts from my deceased father, etc. Then he asked Carmen to log into her bank account online and show him exactly how much she had in each account. Then we were told we should drive right along the border, in case our van breaks down and doesn't make it. Nothing old is reliable anymore, right?
Anyways.. just a little PO'd about it. We feel a little violated, as we were very polite, we didn't hide anything, and we didn't give any attitude. And we were still treated like garbage.

yup.....welcome to the US .......been there done that ^ only when i have traveled alone. ....makes me wonder how it will play out if i get to go to Moparfest.

on a good note ......your van is super cool ....i think your living it up out there .....that is such a good idea for a vacation......makes me wish i still my had my old dodge RV and the bravery to do what your doing :thumbup: your making my familiar southwest scenery look boring now

Thanks Rani, our van does get a lot of stares. Could be because we're maintaining 55 MPH on the interstate though.

We're in St. Cloud right now. Hoping to meet up with Keith, but it was hard to plan it as I don't have a phone or Internet, so it didn't quite work out. No worries, next time!

Hey bud, plans changed I will be able to meet in about an hour if you are still here and want too wait, your call, I'll be home in a little bit, just shoot me a pm :glasses7:

-
Back