70's Duster Convertible

-

Papaduster

Reaction score
Aynbody thought of converting a Duster to a Rag top ? Could use the top convertible frame and componets off a Scamp or Swinger convertible

Attachments

• Duster conv.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 606
The top mechanism is the same for both Barracuda and Dart convertibles. Depending on the year you might need some custom glass.

Got 2 extra top frames if someone wants to try

Would think it would be harder to do than just putting the frame in. The deck lid goes to the back window, belt line is higher and a custom top made

But anything is possible

I think it would be hard to do to make it look right but like Wildcat said anything is possible.

I don't think it would look right, duster 1/4s have a very rounded look, the front fenders are more square looking, remove the roof that ties them together, and it looks awkward in my opinion... I still don't know why they didn't continue the convert option on darts, the 70,71 darts look good as converts...

Do to the windshield being swept back and the higher belt line. I would think one would have to use a e-body frame narrowed slightly to look right. Also a custom cut 1/4 glass would be a must.

Ive looked at my 71 Dusters roof lines in the back and side quaters, I think theres enough room in the rear speaker deck and trunk to make a Duster convertible fold away, it will take some tweeking of the top Swinger convertible frame to make it work and the soft top need to look just like the hard top Duster when up and installed keeping the Dstuer body lines the same as the hard top was orgially I saw a newer Charger that was made into a convertible so I'd say a Duster Convertible is highly possible. Does anyone know who in California is doing convertible conversions?

Maybe modifying the existing roof like the Sebring 3 piece HT convertible and have the trunk flip up and swallow the top?

Attachments

• 2008-chrysler-sebring-hard-top.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 574
Based off how high on the rear quarter it is, it will give off a GM A-Body like appearance

Dusters are coupes, so you have that B pillar issue.

There was a nicely done 73 Scamp vert on ebay a couple years ago.

IIRC it went in the 4K range. Must have been a terrible loss compared to build cost.

The OP suggest a Scamp or Swinger for parts, but IIRC no Scamp or Swinger (ex 1969) verts were ever made.

There is a Scamp in Indy that was made into a convertible. He used a Ford Galaxie top frame. Had to cut it down somewhat

If anyone see's a vitiman C scamp convertible, that is it

All Plymouth “A’s” and Duster bodies have shorter wheel base than Dart, so any Dart top frames would be too long. Duster has curved glass so top width would have to be shrunk, and convertible’s vertical post top attaches to and door glass seals to would have to be curved to match glass in door.
I bet modifying a curved glass midsized 70’s GM frame and top would be easiest path; which will still be a boat load of head scratching, and frigging around to make it fit, and fold into well without a bunched up mountain of a mess such as VW and RR ragtops have when top is retracted. Then there is the fixed quarter window to deal with; engineer and fit regulator some donor curved glass allowing retraction, a complicated project, or eliminate it and have no quarter window when top is up.

Then there is the back seat area reconfiguration to accept hydraulic pistons and top irons, and beefing up of unibody to withstand decapitation.

An interesting custom project indeed that can be executed by experenced builders.

I forgot Scamp was built on 111” WB., anyway it had flat window glass and no rag top. All the early cars all had flat glass, and would require a lot of fabrication to get them to fit curved glass configuration.

While tooting around with top down today I spotted a late 80’s LeBaron ragtop. I bet that top would be real close as it is short and narrow compared to a mid-sized GM top I was thinking about earlier. I think LeBarons are close in body width to A Bodies measured at tops of windows, and base of door glass. Also one could possibly fab up some sort of rear quarter window scavenged from a LeBaron to fit a Duster.

-
Back