'71 340 balancer with forged crank

-

stevndar

Reaction score
In my '69 Dart, 340 ('71), 4 speed I have vibration at about 2000 RPM sitting still and I think I may have an incorrect balancer. I'm wandering if the previous owner may have installed the wrong one. I rebuilt with same pistons and crank (forged). Can someone show me a picture, diagram or explain what the correct balancer looks like? I know the balancer for a cast crank is marked as such. Thanks for any help or suggestions you can give.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 211
From the picture it looks like you have one for an externally balanced engine. If you have a forged steel crank then you need a balancer that doesn't have the offset weight that you can see in the picture.

Ken

My 71 360 has that same balancer on it and I believe it is also a forged crank. wonder if that's why it spun a bearing.

That balancer is wrong unless the rotating *** is balance with it. I wound bet its just wrong. That balancer is for a cast crank are you sure yours is forged?

318 balancers are the same so any one of them or a 68-72 340 balancer will work. The 360 and the 73 cast crank balancers will NOT work.

Ken

In my '69 Dart, 340 ('71), 4 speed I have vibration at about 2000 RPM sitting still and I think I may have an incorrect balancer. I'm wandering if the previous owner may have installed the wrong one. I rebuilt with same pistons and crank (forged). Can someone show me a picture, diagram or explain what the correct balancer looks like? I know the balancer for a cast crank is marked as such. Thanks for any help or suggestions you can give.
You sure it's a 340 ? And are you sure of the year , late 72 could have a cast crank , or it might have been replaced with a cast crank by a previous owner , have seen that done a few times .
Unless you built and inspected it make sure you have the right parts .

Looks like a 71 360 balancer. Get a 340 or 318 balancer. Also check torque convertor for weights and flexplate for odd cutouts. That balancer alone would easily mess up your balance.

Thanks everyone. I thought it appeared to be a 360 balancer. Crank is forged, see photo.

Attachments

• Crank forged Eng Bot.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 120
Looks like a 71 360 balancer. Get a 340 or 318 balancer. Also check torque convertor for weights and flexplate for odd cutouts. That balancer alone would easily mess up your balance.

My cousin had several balancers and we found the correct one for 340. Thanks for all helpful comments. She runs fine. :blob:

Attachments

• Duel Darts fr (2).jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 103
-
Back