71 Dart swinger!

-

ply30

Banned
Reaction score
Hey guys! First off I would like to say thanks to FABO for all the help they offer. Second off I would like to say this is my new project for a while I hope I can get her on the road soon!

Well let me start off by saying I bought her today (9-26-13). It was a 318 car with a 727 behind the 318. The guy I bought it from pulled the 360 (The first owner put in it) and put the 360 in his 74 challenger leaving the body with the tranny up forsale. He was thinking about parting it out before I got the car. The car has no motor right now (I got a 360 ready to be rebuilt!) Has a 8 3/4 Posi rear (May not be factory), 727 tranny ECT...

The car is having steering issues (The guy stuck the trunk lock key in the column and it is now stuck in there.) Also the paint is starting to bubble on the lower passanger side 1/4 panle. Other then that little bit of rust every thing else is SOLID. Has brand new floor pans, trunk pans ECT... I am planning on putting a 360 in the car (Once I get it to the machine shop). The interior is black and I will be redoing it at some point soon! Has a few dings here and there that need to be fixed/hammerd out! I will get more and better pictures this weekend!

Here are some pictures! I plan on getting to work on it! I may be changing the paint colors on it what do you guys think?

zjckug.jpg

2ngvh1k.jpg

2cojwa0.jpg

11vi7it.jpg

10r5vf4.jpg

2mytcw9.jpg

Will get more and better pictures this weekend!
Sorry if the pictures are big I dont know how to fix that if any one can assist I would appreciate it!

Let me know what you guys think!
P.S: My first "Build" thread so please dont hate! LOL!

Thanks for your time and looking at my build thread!

Nice Dart! Can't wait to see some progress. I personally like that colour... Is that butterscotch? What's the original colour of the car?

Nice Dart! Can't wait to see some progress.. I personally like that colour... Is that butterscotch? What's the original colour of the car?
Thanks pal! And yes that is butterscotch! I can double check the original colour tomorrow and will post it up here!

There's a lot of good stuff to work with from what I can see. I have a feeling when it comes time to remove the paint, you'll have some work to do, meaning several layers. I absolutely love the wheels.....and i'm not a slot guy, lol.

Congrats! Enjoy your project :thumbrig:.

Cool! If it's originally a butterscotch car it's probably pretty rare, looks to be a highly optioned car too. I see the paint in behind the dash so I bet its original. Is it a Canadian built car? (7th digit should be R on the vin)

There's a lot of good stuff to work with from what I can see. I have a feeling when it comes time to remove the paint, you'll have some work to do, meaning several layers. I absolutely love the wheels.....and i'm not a slot guy, lol.

Congrats! Enjoy your project :thumbrig:.

Thanks and you know... I was just thinking that on the "Paint" I may not change the colour right away due to that issue lol.
I am not a "slots" guy either but them wheels to me set the car off lol!

HemiOrange -- I will check first thing in the morning and report back to you!!!
It very well may be a butterscotch car. If it is I will deffo leave it that!

NICE Dart ! I can't believe the other guy was going to part it out . I'm glad you were able to save it from that fate . I'd love to have those slots on my Dart !

Very nice looking Dart! :thumbup:

Looks almost exactly like my '71 Dart GT! I love the butterscotch color. By the way, that is a "high impact" color so it had to be ordered on a Dart. Also an original AC car just like my GT. Looks like the only differences are that my GT came with a white top and interior, and of course bucket seats as part of the GT package, along with a floor shift and console.

I'd love to see the fender tag for that car, looks to be a pretty highly optioned Swinger. Nice score!

Thanks guys for all the feed back! I will be posting up a fender tag picture tonight or in the morning!!

Cool! If it's originally a butterscotch car it's probably pretty rare, looks to be a highly optioned car too. I see the paint in behind the dash so I bet its original. Is it a Canadian built car? (7th digit should be R on the vin)
Yes sir this is a canadian built car!

Ok I was unable to get a quick Fender tag picture today.. I may just "Decode" the fender tag then post it up here.!
But what I was able to find out about the car from the vin number and also talking to the First owner of the car is a few neat little things. Before I go into them neat things let me just tell you the back story on this car is a MESS to say the least..

So here are the few neat little things I found out about the car:

The is a Canadian car!

The original paint is Butterscotch

Also the car did have the "Slot" rims on it from the factory (From what the owner said).

Also once I decode the fender tag a bit more I can clarify this but as of right now acording to the "Wife of the owner" The car could possiably be a 360 car. (I am not that sure they had 360 cars in 71 swingers so once I decode the fender tag I can back up that statement or maybe some one else could tell me there was no 360 swingers!)

Any how today I was able to get her off the trailer and moved her out back...
Here are some pics!

Attachments

• IMAG0944_5.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 1,043
  • IMAG0946_5.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 1,063
  • IMAG0948_5.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 1,071
  • IMAG0952_5.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 1,054
  • IMAG0954_5.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 1,056
The 360 wouldn't have been an option in that car. Either a slant six or 318. (Up here in Canada they made a handful of 1971 Swinger Specials with the 340 for a local Edmonton dealership as well as one in Manitoba "LL23H1R") 1974 was the fist year the 360 was introduced to the A-bodies, which was an option for the Dart Sport and Duster. As for the rims they could have been dealer installed.. There was either rallye rims, full wheel covers or dog dish caps available for that year of car. The only way to know is by finding the build sheet. You've got a pretty unique and rare car and I hope you keep the original colour! Looks great!

Thanks for sharing the pics and I hope this info helps. What's the fifth letter on your vin?

I also vote for keeping the slots.. They really suite the car.

The 360 wouldn't have been an option in that car. Either a slant six or 318. (Up here in Canada they made a handful of 1971 Swinger Specials with the 340 for a local Edmonton dealership as well as one in Manitoba "LL23H1R") 1974 was the fist year the 360 was introduced to the A-bodies, which was an option for the Dart Sport and Duster. As for the rims they could have been dealer installed.. There was either rallye rims, full wheel covers or dog dish caps available for that year of car. The only way to know is by finding the build sheet. You've got a pretty unique and rare car and I hope you keep the original colour! Looks great!

Thanks for sharing the pics and I hope this info helps. What's the fifth letter on your vin?

I also vote for keeping the slots.. They really suite the car.
Ahh ok great thanks for the info pal! I will decode the fender tag and get the Vin # ECT... and let you guys know! I will keep the color and the rims.
Thanks for the info on the motor as from what the wife said when he restored it he tried to keep it factory.!
Will keep updates and info coming!

Keep in mind some of my "INFO" above may be incorrect. I have not looked into the past of this car yet what was on the car when it was built ECT. Please dont judge lol :) and also I will decode the fender tag here soon today!

Nice project car you have there!
I vote to keep it butterscotch too. The slot wheels suit it as well.
I'll be watching this one!

The slots look cool, but didn't come factory installed, dealer installed perhaps, but not factory.

LH23G1R
There is the first 7 of the vin number.
Some of the things I have already found out to be true:
It's factory AC.
Canadian car built in Windsor, Ontario, Canada.
Was a factory 318 CID/230 HP 2 BBL V8.
It is also factory butterscotch.
Any how here a picture of the fender tag (Kind of hard to see some of it.) I will post my version of the fender tag de-coded when I am finished as I copied the letters and numbers strait off the tag.

jjw87d.jpg

Also thanks for the support and comments guys!!!

That's a great project car! Well done!:D

Thanks pal!

Also does any one have any good sugestions on how to get the damn trunk lock key out of the ignition?

This week sadly I dont think I will have much time to "Tinker" with the car as I am working 4 hours up and 4 hours back away from the house starting monday leading into firday. This weekend how ever I will be working on getting the dash fixed back up correctly, And attempting to get the key out of the steering column (If possiable)!

Thanks for the interset in my build and I will keep updates / Pictures coming!!

great looking car-- as for the key issue--- spray some lube in there-- take some needle nosed pliers & gently pull/wiggle the key out-- it will take some finesse-- but should come out. you might have to pull it out part way then push back & then pull some more-- good luck ,Lawrence

great looking car-- as for the key issue--- spray some lube in there-- take some needle nosed pliers & gently pull/wiggle the key out-- it will take some finesse-- but should come out. you might have to pull it out part way then push back & then pull some more-- good luck ,Lawrence

Thanks pal! I will give it a shot

-
Back