71 Demon, would you buy it??

-

ChazRam

1964 Valiant V200
Reaction score
This thread is started just to see opinions from others without beating the info back and forth on the 'for sale' thread. listed on FABO under cars for sale is a real nice orange 71 Demon. The people who have it list it as not a 100% correct resto but a TON of money went into this car and the work on it is awesome. I would have no problem driving this car and if I had money to afford this car I would make them an offer on it.
My beef is though the car is not 100% correct they went a long way out of their way to make it appear like a 100% resto on top, bottom, trunk, interior, and under the hood. For the kind of money its listed at I would be expecting much less mistakes and much more purity as when I spot a bunch of things that dont look right I wonder what mistakes I am missing etc. I as well as some other members listed what they felt were mistakes as in 'opinions are like armpits, every body has them and sometimes they smell' but I was just wondering what I and others might have missed. I will at some point be looking to pick up a car like this most likely at this price range and I am much better at Darts than Demons. Whats you thoughts, thanks.
Chas

My .02: it comes down to how obsessed are you with factory correctness, and whats the value of the mods are to you.

Chas, there is an *** for every seat! The description that was given stressed the "numbers matching" words. I believe if it was complete drivetrain not just tranny and rear it would have sold in a heartbeat because the other items could be corrected. Now on the other side look at all the work that was put into the resto which is very nice. Question is could you do that car for 30,000 and by today's standards the answer is no. You will never recover all monies and labor invested.

Agreed 100% guys. I am not a concourse resto kind of guy. I like to modify. I know if I had bucks to spare i would have no problem buying and bringing what I feel are important corrections back to this car. Its a nice job and a nice car. I just look at the amount of bucks this car is at and look at other cars and wonder. When things like the incorrect scoop,hacked up dash and 6X9s in the back, things like wrong door panels, and other spotted items I am bringing out the paper and pen and doing some subtracting which would piss the guy who owns the car to no end. I could get a 70 340 Dart done right for less. Seen some Dusters and Demons also for less. There is a butt for every seat and one will find the seat in this car too. I guess that is not my thing about what will be and such. Just because I need the educating what did I miss on this one.

Agreed 100% guys. I am not a concourse resto kind of guy. I like to modify. I know if I had bucks to spare i would have no problem buying and bringing what I feel are important corrections back to this car. Its a nice job and a nice car. I just look at the amount of bucks this car is at and look at other cars and wonder. When things like the incorrect scoop,hacked up dash and 6X9s in the back, things like wrong door panels, and other spotted items I am bringing out the paper and pen and doing some subtracting which would piss the guy who owns the car to no end. I could get a 70 340 Dart done right for less. Seen some Dusters and Demons also for less. There is a butt for every seat and one will find the seat in this car too. I guess that is not my thing about what will be and such. Just because I need the educating what did I miss on this one.

The other issue I had Chas was look at the seller A DEALER. Want to ask for top dollar and only know what the seller told him. It is funny because they stated only 1 year model when we all know it was a 2 year deal. I have seen better a-bodies go for less money having same quality work as this one has. Dealers want to push the envelope and find that one person to pay that amount. Example I have seen a 70 dart built right private seller wanted 24,000, 2 months later a dealer in atlanta wanted 31,000 for same car. Funny thing private seller never took down ad and both were posted at same time showing same car. You think dealer would look?

This thread is started just to see opinions from others without beating the info back and forth on the 'for sale' thread. listed on FABO under cars for sale is a real nice orange 71 Demon. The people who have it list it as not a 100% correct resto but a TON of money went into this car and the work on it is awesome. I would have no problem driving this car and if I had money to afford this car I would make them an offer on it.
My beef is though the car is not 100% correct they went a long way out of their way to make it appear like a 100% resto on top, bottom, trunk, interior, and under the hood. For the kind of money its listed at I would be expecting much less mistakes and much more purity as when I spot a bunch of things that dont look right I wonder what mistakes I am missing etc. I as well as some other members listed what they felt were mistakes as in 'opinions are like armpits, every body has them and sometimes they smell' but I was just wondering what I and others might have missed. I will at some point be looking to pick up a car like this most likely at this price range and I am much better at Darts than Demons. Whats you thoughts, thanks.
Chas

$30K is in the upper range for a 71 340 Demon 4 speed in even original correct high quality. They just top out at a certain point. The car in question is nice, just not $30K nice nor original.

Car is what I would call a "restified" car. It's a purposely lightly modified stock car.

The car is half stock original number matching fender tag 71 340 4spd Demon and half modified with aftermarket or non original parts. The number of potential buyers is less for car of that. Just supply vs demand. Now some one person may pay that once (Barrett Jackson), just not for the 1000's of others similar type cars.

This popular saying is wrong: "There is an *** for every seat"

IMHO, the correct saying is: "There are a 1,000 seats for every one ***"

Ever notice how collector car salespeople and auctions know very little about the actual cars? I mean you see all thier ads with very incorrect information. For instance, the ad in question says TTI headers when the car says Hooker in plain sight. You would think with all their year in business they would learn and pay attention to some of the details.

Collector car salespeople specialize in finding asses, not so much the collector cars themselves.

That was kind of my thought based on the fact its a dealer selling the car. I figure they have it on consignment and the price got boosted so they could meke thier money off the car too. Someone will buy this car at somepoint. Truth is we could put just as much money if not more in one of our cars to get it to look this nice. No doubt there was a ton thrown into this one. Do you think it was not even a Mopar guy who was behind this build?? I say that because a buddy of mine who I have known for years has always been a Chevy guy and a couple of years back he scored a numbers matching 70 340 Swinger 4 speed car and decided to restore it. All he kept telling me when he decided to redo the car is 'you Mopar guys and your damned expensive parts' and 'its just too hard to find all the right crap for this car' and I know he is right. We do pay more for Mopar stuff and its sometimes hard to get parts. Its getting easier though thanks to repops but I like the challenge of trying to find oem parts and like them better on my car. I know that if I was restoring this car it would have been done as correct on body, interior and acessories. Being not a numbers matching car I would have resto modded it with a bunch of bling under the hood and left everything else pretty much stock correct in case I would have to sell it off and the new owner would want original but thats just me. When I take another look at this car and see things done wrong on it to me it kind of looks like a car that was bought and had stuff missing and new parts were added to complete it. I would not mind getting a truckload of new stuff for my car and letting the people who did this car redo mine. I bet this car turns heads when it gets driven.

That was kind of my thought based on the fact its a dealer selling the car. I figure they have it on consignment and the price got boosted so they could meke thier money off the car too. Someone will buy this car at somepoint. Truth is we could put just as much money if not more in one of our cars to get it to look this nice. No doubt there was a ton thrown into this one. Do you think it was not even a Mopar guy who was behind this build?? I say that because a buddy of mine who I have known for years has always been a Chevy guy and a couple of years back he scored a numbers matching 70 340 Swinger 4 speed car and decided to restore it. All he kept telling me when he decided to redo the car is 'you Mopar guys and your damned expensive parts' and 'its just too hard to find all the right crap for this car' and I know he is right. We do pay more for Mopar stuff and its sometimes hard to get parts. Its getting easier though thanks to repops but I like the challenge of trying to find oem parts and like them better on my car. I know that if I was restoring this car it would have been done as correct on body, interior and acessories. Being not a numbers matching car I would have resto modded it with a bunch of bling under the hood and left everything else pretty much stock correct in case I would have to sell it off and the new owner would want original but thats just me. When I take another look at this car and see things done wrong on it to me it kind of looks like a car that was bought and had stuff missing and new parts were added to complete it. I would not mind getting a truckload of new stuff for my car and letting the people who did this car redo mine. I bet this car turns heads when it gets driven.

I'm still down with it being a really nice car that probably has more into it than what's being asked. But, it's not as described, and there were shortcuts taken for it to be restored, restified or whatever.

You touched on your Chevy friend complaining about the parts pricing and availability. I still remember when you couldn't get parts at the local supermarket for your project and you had to scrounge, search and actually refurbish and restore parts before you could restore a car. It was a labor of love, not profit.

To me THATS the fun. Its the thrill of the hunt!! That is how I got almost everything for my Swinger. And yes, my Dart is done wrong. However, anything done to the car can be corrected without alot of effort but this was done for me. I figure a 70 Swinger with a slant in it wont bring the elite Mopar clan to their knees asking 'WHY'??? I also would not ask 31K to sell it either. But like you said, not being able to get the parts and you had to scrounge for parts back in the day. To me thats what made my build so special. I am not seeing this Demon for what it is. All them bucks and all that time spent on a nicely done car and listing it as not a 100% correct car and all the effort into making it appear correct at 31K. I guess I just dont get it!!!

To me THATS the fun. Its the thrill of the hunt!! That is how I got almost everything for my Swinger. And yes, my Dart is done wrong. However, anything done to the car can be corrected without alot of effort but this was done for me. I figure a 70 Swinger with a slant in it wont bring the elite Mopar clan to their knees asking 'WHY'??? I also would not ask 31K to sell it either. But like you said, not being able to get the parts and you had to scrounge for parts back in the day. To me thats what made my build so special. I am not seeing this Demon for what it is. All them bucks and all that time spent on a nicely done car and listing it as not a 100% correct car and all the effort into making it appear correct at 31K. I guess I just dont get it!!!

Nah dude, you get it. It's the guy shilling the car that doesn't. Then again, it's their job to turn a profit. So is that guy gonna be out there like a side show huckster? Yeup. Is some guy gonna be swooned by the bearded lady? Yeup.

-
Back