71 Duster 360 (new project)

-
Number 5 is alive...

Fired engine ..set timing.....transmission "seems" to be working ok....reverse does...anyway shift thru the gears and hear engine lug engine down...I will get it off the jackstands and test 3 gear in garage before i head to track....

Now...moving on to getting Green car running

Got some light weight body parts on order ......probably wont be here in time for this weekend...but should be here shortly after that hopefully...

hood and both bumpers are going fiberglass....

Got some light weight body parts on order ......probably wont be here in time for this weekend...but should be here shortly after that hopefully...

hood and both bumpers are going fiberglass....

Damn you don't ever quit! Your like the energizer bunny......
You just keep going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going ............... LOL

well...was trying to get spare trans back together this afternoon/evening...the fricking front drum is killing me again...which is the drum and piston that came out of duster that rolled the lip seal...i guess every once in a while you get one that will not work...

ordered a front drum...14.00 dollars... piston 4.00 dollars....waiting a week for shipping...Priceless...LOL

Actually my daughter Tonya was assembling the trans...i was coaching..

Man, that sucks for this weekend. Good luck with the others. :thumleft:

this is the spare trans.....everything else is good to go ...Friday night TnT for 71 Duster...

We tested the trans in Dart this afternoon also...had daughter engage transbrake ...and everything "appears" to be working....LOL

well...was trying to get spare trans back together this afternoon/evening...the fricking front drum is killing me again...which is the drum and piston that came out of duster that rolled the lip seal...i guess every once in a while you get one that will not work...

ordered a front drum...14.00 dollars... piston 4.00 dollars....waiting a week for shipping...Priceless...LOL

Actually my daughter Tonya was assembling the trans...i was coaching..

Wow. Yeah that does suck but at least you have an Army of them!

Tonya is gunna be a transmission pro too!

I was really Leary about my Front Drum after you had these issues. I took it all back apart then put it all back together and both clutches tested fine.

Louis...it was strange....I had put the lip seals in the drum last week...while i was waiting for parts to show up... Today we were installing the 24 spring kit...and the piston came out...and I looked at the outer lip seal...it had about 1 inch area where it had rolled backwards...just like it had went it was in the Duster..

We tried to put a new seal in it....I looked at WHIT trans..and saw those prices....I will take a sledge hammer to this fricking drum and piston once the other gets here....LOL...I needed to order some bushing for the drums anyway...so i got that in the order too....and after taking a good look at the rear band...it needs to be replaced...so that is on order too..

Wow that is weird. Maybe the drum is a lil out of round or something? Although you wouldn't think so because the material is so thick. At least the parts are cheap. Only thing that suxxx is waiting for shipping. I am waiting on my thrust washers "the right ones" to get here.... Lol

Watch out for the sledge hammer...... That drum has an attitude and may send you to the Emergency Room!! hahaha :D

Then i about died, went we fired her Dart with the new trans in it...i started it yesterday...and everything seems ok ..but I did not engage the transbrake...

Well she get in car...starts it...and nothing works...and i roll my eyes thinking oh god..not again..

well...she get out of car.....and I ask her...did you have your foot on the brakes.....Yes..Dad...

ok..get back in...start car...engage trans brake...take foot off brakes....trans brakes working....let go of button....wheels spin...LOL....shifts thru gears....put in reverse...hit button...wheels turn backwards...All is good...

She got to install the spring and rollers for the overrunning clutch in the spare trans..aka sprag....

And that spare trans....even though the part number shows it being a 72 or 73 year model....it has the 4 twang thrust washers...i did not need the kits i bought...it has the newer planetaries..

First sign of the apocalypse... :)

Hope it goes well, tell her I said hi.

I would install the part and show her how it goes....the pull the part out...let her install it...and then check it again...

She said I am getting old...and she needs to learn cause I aint going to be here forever...thanks kid...

And that spare trans....even though the part number shows it being a 72 or 73 year model....it has the 4 twang thrust washers...i did not need the kits i bought...it has the newer planetaries..

Yeah both my transmissions have the 4 tang thrust washers. 1 has the 3 1/8th ones and aluminum planatarie's and the other has the 2 3/4 tangs. The 2 3/4 tang trans has steel planatarie's and the low gear set.

So half of that trans kit I bought will do just about the whole other transmission..... just need to get a few more pieces to make it a complete kit. Would that be a 2 for 1 Special??

Well..It is Friday..and there is a TnT tonight....so to see if this duster will get into high gear...or runs mid 12s again in 2nd gear..LOL....

Got tracking number of fiberglass bumpers ...suppose to be here next Thursday....

Ok...car made it to race track...trans shifts into 3 rd gear while driving around pits...

and what crappy weather....barometer at 26.55....DA is at 5400...

1st pass...

kid deep stages car....and goes 12.367 @ 110.52 ....1.716 60 ft

2nd pass

60 ft 1.608
1/8 7.478
mph 90.82
1/4 11.812
mph 112.91

3rd pass...she rolls lights again trying to get a feel for the footbraking vs stall speed.
12.399 112.92.....2.156 60 ft from rolling lights..

4th pass

60 ft 1.594
1/8 7.437
mph 90.93
1/4 11.760
mph 113.27

Thunderstorm in not so far distance...we headed for home.....

Post #224....Gonna be a fun ride in the 11's when it's tuned up if my guess is correct. I'll keep watching.:thumblef:

Congrats Tony! She's officially in the learning curve now. Another great build. You should be proud. I can't wait to watch the progress. Gonna be a fun summer for all of you. :thumleft:

well..was a long day.....last night i was pushing Duster in pit ...and sure grip was making klung..klung went turn...no noise while going straight.....

This morning I drove out to track...loaded car up ...took it back to the garage and swapped out third member...put another 4.30 gear back in...but with a spool...which what i should have used in the first place...

Took me 90 minutes to change out 3 rd member...

She made a lot of passes this afternoon...with the best being 11.72 @ 113...

wind was changing direction all day...

Still got a few thing that need some attention...but it is getting there...

No we did not....had alot of stuff going on today....

had a wiring issue with electric water pump....solderless connector broke...had to chase wiring......got one of the breathers that will not stay in the valve cover....gotta love those MP cast aluminum valve covers...

plus tonya's green car..

-
Back