71 Duster 360 (new project)

-
Finally,got the video to play. Nice sounding hydraulic. BTW,way cool time,to spend time, with family. Even better,give your kids confidence,and the "itch". Nice job.

Looks nice,Tony. Is that the Howard's .562 lift hydraulic flat tappet ?

yes. it is...have the idle speed set by ear...tach not installed yet, suppose to be here today.

timing is set at 34 degrees all in at about 1000 rpm with MP race electronic distributor...have had this distributor for ages...old cast iron mechanical tach electronic...

Sunday..Sunday...got to work on the car today since i was babysitting grandson...or he was babysitting me...

got tach and shift light installed...and wired up...and it all worked...which is great...

took car off jack stands and push it out of the garage...washed it about 3 times...tried some rubbing compound on the old paint...do not know...going to need a buffer...

anyway...tomorrow...going after sheet metal for rear firewall..and need to align front end...

dont know if i am going to get much done tomorrow...as I am trying to finish my taxes.....teeth cleaning in afternoon at Dentist...

got rear firewall in tonight.....got do some sealing around the edge in morning...then tomorrow afternoon align the front end...guess need to look at putting the hood on it...

Friday is coming soon....

Go baby,go! Just ordered,a Howard's ,for the Magnum. Like the cast iron dust,AAR.The countdown, is on.

Got front aligned..going to double check toe again in morning....I removed the MP cast valve covers as I dont have the proper grommets for the breather caps ...Put a set of Moroso chrome steel valve cover...old stuff again....

got a few more thing to do...need to bolt down TA command center again...

need to run ground wire from fuel cell to ground...as need by rules

put the hood back on......

rechecked toe in...make small adjustments....

did a few small things...like ground wire for fuel cell...need to bolt in seat belts and hood tomorrow...and I think we are ready to go for Friday night....

rechecked toe in...make small adjustments....

did a few small things...like ground wire for fuel cell...need to bolt in seat belts and hood tomorrow...and I think we are ready to go for Friday night....
Way to go Tony with making your deadline.LOL.Looks like the race is on!I,m loaded and ready to go..Got my Santa,s list and checking it twice.:DGood luck!

Well...got seat belt in car..put second battery in trunk and all hooked up...both getting charged...

got two things left to do....put hood on in morning...and put steering wheel on once I get it centered...

hoping to be first in line....so she can get alot of runs in...

well..car made it to race track....daughter made 3 passes...she got better each pass....needs to work on burn out a little better....but that will come with experience.

Having some problems with car...engine starts to break up right after she shifts into 3 rd gear...

best time tonight was a 12.67 @ 89 mph. with a 1.596 60 ft time...

anyway..the "jegs" fuel pressure gauge was showing 3 psi...gauge in under hood ....I adjust the regulator and the gauge moved up ...but the engine began act like it was flooding ....

so tomorrow..and an Auto Meter Fuel gauge goes on...
new spark plugs and wire wires...and will bring spare distributor too...

and last my old moroso valve covers leaked...LOL....getting the MP cast aluminum fixed with the right size holes in the cut outs .....

based on wallace calculators... a 1.59-1.60 60 ft times should approximately 11.60 ET....and it idles so smooth...lol

Gotta be satisfying to get it out after all that work. Nice that you have the opportunity to get right back out the next day. Good Luck today.

Hey Tony,I was watching Live on Ustream saturday afternoon.Did Tonya break a u-joint off the line?Hope Tonya is ok and damage is minimal.

Was not a good day at the races....

71 Duster had oil leak from front pan seal...and shifter not adjusted proper...hanging up between 2nd and 3rd gear....inexperience driver not being able to tell crew shield what it was doing...

climbed under car to check bolts on oil pan...but made no difference....blowing oil out the front seal was a byproduct of car not going into 3rd gear...will drop and reseal pan....easy to do with notched K member...

71 Dart...on E85...1st pass...ran best 60 ft time at 1.442...but driver lifted cause car wiggled around half track....nice breeze blowing today ..next pass...

Driveshaft peals at rear yoke....1st thought it was the ring gear....but guy was hanging me pieces of the shaft...

So Do I need to take the trans out and inspect the sprag...or is it good to go?

71 Demon...did not enter TnT...good thing might have broken something the way things were going...anyway....Lost in second round with a .002 break out....

Picture taken in morning before anything broke...lol

Attachments

• mopars.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 667
Glad to hear it wasn,t anything too serious Tony.Waiting to hear what others will say about sprag inspection.
I didn,t get out yesterday(was too cold)but just got off the phone with the track and they are gonna run T&T today,but if not enough people they,ll shut it down at @2:00pm.Wish me luck...gonna need it...I feel the butterfly,s all over again.LOL :burnout:

Scott...I was being sarcastic about the sprag...the spring and rollers are a 5 dollar item...they will be removed and replaced... only PIA R&R trans..I will take the motor/trans out together...plus I will change out all sealing rings and lip seals while in trans...preventative maintenance....

Good stuff Tony.I wasn,t sure what/if with the trans,but sounds like an easy fix...for you anyway.I got 4 passes in today and it was a sunny 37* out LOL.
I ran a couple 10.80-81 @ 122.34 Cold hard slicks spinning with a 1.53 60ft with my first time with the brake.Waiting for warmer weather.:D

Did the Duster make it to 1/8 mile before breaking up? ET/MPH?

You going to shake it down for a run or two? She needs seat time and at least she's gotten a good front row seat to a few poor runs.

Rob..if it was not for the oil leak ..that was next..I was going to drive it...but..it seems that the shifter linkage is not adjusted correctly, and the trans is slipping, and engine is spinning causing alot of pressure in pan...

so...going replace seals on pans as a precaution and hook up pan evac to headers...

at the 1/8...one of the passes duster ran 7.563 at 81 mph...guy in next lane ran exact 7.563 at 89 mph.....and I think the Duster only ran 89 mph at the 1/4....I will get the et slips from her and look at them later today or in morning....

It was hard to get any feed back from her...cause she said she was hanging on for her life...LOL and everything was happening really fast...

It was hard to get any feed back from her...cause she said she was hanging on for her life...LOL and everything was happening really fast...

Sensory overload. LOL

Pretty soon it will be... that's boring, not fast at all.

Ok...dropped drag link, passenger side header off....let driver side hang...oil pan came off..

clean...new gaskets...new end seals...back on....headers back on...

readjusted shifter linkage....at neutral the swivel fit ok...but at 3rd gear...it was a turn off...moved shifter through all gears...swivels drops in easy now...

tomorrow..need to put drag link on.....and work on fuel pressure gauge installation...and need to get pan evac setup

might be running the car again this friday...at tnt

-
Back