71 Duster 360 (new project)

-
Here is one of the time slips from Friday night that I could find...used the guy in the Left lane as comparasion.

Left lane Right lane is duster

60 1.638 1.603
330 4.828 4.736
1/8 7.561 7.562
mph 89.23 81.97
1000 9.961 10.232
1/4 12.034 12.674
mph 107.83 89.99

She said it sounded like it was not going into high gear.....kind of looks that way

Something went a little haywire just before the 1/8th, that's for sure :smile:.
Sounds like you got it covered now. Look's like it's gonna be getting pretty warm this weekend.....hopefully when the sun gets low Friday, you'll have some good conditions.

ok...got parts to finish hooking up a pan evac...and got correct fittings to hook the fuel pressure gauge...should have this thing wrapped up tomorrow..with putting the drag link back on...after I fire the engine....lol

Pan evac is installed....fixed minor trans leak caused by me...fuel pressure gauge hooked up and pressure set at 7 psi....it was at 9 psi....

shift trans through gears...you can hear 3rd hit...so hopefully....it will all be good ...

Took the Holley 950 off and put a 750 dp with pro form main body, billet meter blocks and billet base....probably not anything different then the 950....dropped the jeting on this carb...using 73p/81s,,,

We should make another run at it on Friday night TnT...

Well ..after reading the email from the track ...looks like the TNT is for the PSCA crap.....

Everything fixed and ready...just waiting for next tnt.....

TnT on Saturday...called the track and they said it was open to all cars...there is an import race on sunday...

So..going to check a few thing out tomorrow...wash the windows, check the air in the tires...water and oil....and get ready for Saturday afternoon....looks like it will be in the low 90s....

hopefully...film at 11..

What a beautiful day to go to the races...

Test n Tune from 1 pm to 5 pm.....only 5 cars are there....man...can make a 1000 passes...

Only problem...transmission has no 3rd gear......same results as last time...shifter is adjusted ...I swear on the jack stand i could hear 3 rd gear engage.....

anyway..one pass...

RT .008
60' 1.61

after that it is down hill....lol...

i was going to make a pass in the car...I drove it around the pit...and soon as you put it in 3rd...the rpm just zoom...

Since I seem to have alot of practice taking trans out...this should be be a piece of cake...I am guessing one of the telfon rings got cut....will know in a couple of days///

Well..started a 3:42 pm and at 5:47 on engine and trans sitting on ground....

had to take grandson to playground at the park....other wise i would be tearing that trans apart...maybe later tonight...

finally got the kid to sleep...

anyway...got it off the back of the motor...got pan and valve body out of it...

air tested...servos working great....rear clutch pac working great...front clutch...just hear air pissing in the wind....

will get it out tomorrow...see what is not cooking in the front clutch pac

one of the earlier post where i was rebuilding the 904...I had trouble getting the piston back into the drum...well...it won round one...the big lip seal had a small section that had rolled...

new lip seals..small and big...new disc and steels......trans all back together...air tested good...

Taking a couple days off...strained back lifting and moving trans around yesterday....and can stand up straight...but anytime I got to bend over....ouch....

so i been working on spare trans on bench...cleaning and assembling some of the components...waiting on a few parts...and as i remember now..the one part i really wanted to swap out...have not ordered it yet....heavy duty band strut....

Back is pretty stiff in morning but loosen up as the day goes on...anyway..back to work on Duster...

After getting trans reassembled....It appears to have an excessive amount of end play....and then I find something lying on the floor...the thrust button that goes between the rear drum and drive train...well..this morning out comes the pump and clutch packs...in goes the thrust button (washer),,,,trans back together..

got it bolted to the back of the engine..and decided to try and install it....wow...the engine/tranny like fell in place...held the tti headers off to the side..and bingo...

must be getting good at this ......anyway..should have it all back together tomorrow evening...

Hope your back continues to improve Tony!!! How many car's are you shooting for to get out on the 17th?

Hope your back continues to improve Tony!!! How many car's are you shooting for to get out on the 17th?

Should have a 71 Demon...a 71 Dart...and a 71 Duster...

Back still hurts...butt...it is getting better...loosens up as the day goes on....strained lower back muscles..

Well...another update...engine and trans are back in the car as of Thursday night..the engine and trans like just fell into the car...just wire tied the headers back..it all just slipped in....need to bolt up starter and driver side header...put trans fluid ...water..and driveshaft back in..

some two year old...walked off with a couple of starter bolts/nuts...could not find anything to fit in this garage....got several buckets of bolts at home..

Well...almost done ...gotta make a run for some Type F fluid in morning....and tighten up one header...

actually wont get it started until monday, waiting on something from summit...

Did something today...fill radiator with water..hooked up batteries and ran water pump...lol

also put about 6 qts of type f in trans...got a few more left ...

Monday will start up day....

quit....lol....this thing has not gotten down the track yet...lol

being retired really helps alot since this keeps me busy...really busy...
Sounds like your almost ready to Rock N Roll Tony.With having spare time now,will you get back to work on the Fastback?:D

Scott..someone else asked my the same question today....probably going to be fall..as it is getting hot...

Have to replace all the lexan windows in it...probably buy the lexan over the summer....

i will happy to get this duster done and running ....

Well I guess this gives you lots of time to get the 408 in top shape.:DI,ve been waiting to see this car up and running.There,s just something about a Cuda fastback at the track,that screams Mopar too me.:glasses7:

-
Back