71 Duster 360 (new project)

-
well..another day at the races.....Kid learning to drive....lousy weather day...head wind...

she runs a 11.92 on a 11.92 dial....only problem....reaction time was terrible.....

got a few thing to fix or change over the next couple of weeks....

leaving town for the week.....heading north to Sacramento...

According to ups tracking number ...my front and rear fiberglass bumpers will be delivered today....But I am in Sacramento....

I got the shipping of the hood on hold....I am probably staying in the hood too....LOL

Ok..back home again...Got a front and rear fiberglass bumper siting in a box...also picked up in my travels a 8 pt roll bar for future use....

fiberglass hood to be shipped on Tuesday as I had it on hold due to not being at home.

Removed Mopar Valve covers...and installed old steel moroso...seems they have a better engagement of the breather...no more breather falling off ...

checked rockers while covers were off for anything loose....all looks good...

Worked on spare tranny.....got new rear band in...got another front drum from WIT trans...

pistons fell into place with lip seals unlike other drum...where is my sledge hammer...LOL

need to soak some clutch disc...and reload front drum..and do final assembly....maybe today...maybe not..

Ok...car made it to race track...trans shifts into 3 rd gear while driving around pits...

and what crappy weather....barometer at 26.55....DA is at 5400...

1st pass...

kid deep stages car....and goes 12.367 @ 110.52 ....1.716 60 ft

2nd pass

60 ft 1.608
1/8 7.478
mph 90.82
1/4 11.812
mph 112.91

3rd pass...she rolls lights again trying to get a feel for the footbraking vs stall speed.
12.399 112.92.....2.156 60 ft from rolling lights..

4th pass

60 ft 1.594
1/8 7.437
mph 90.93
1/4 11.760
mph 113.27

Thunderstorm in not so far distance...we headed for home.....

So you ran 11.7 with this setup
"360 .030...Kb107 piston down .020, Eddy OOTB heads, Eddy Air Gap intake, 750 dp or vs carb as needed...1.5 aluminium rockers, msd 6 al ignition, TTi 1 5/8 stepped headers.

904 will have turbo action cheetah valve body bought new back in 1983, 10 inch 3200 stall converter (I think).

8 3/4 ...i have a complete drum to drum with 4.30 sure grip ...will change out axles to make BBP... ..Have a set of nearly new MP SS springs for rear along with CE shocks."

?

only difference is the converter...using a 8 inch PTC... Holley DP

and Howards Hydraulic Cam....top shelf stuff...

8 3/4 sure grip was swapped out for a spool....

So far has run a best of 11.72....at 113...

Well....getting close to show time...due to making some last minute changes...and ordering parts...my goal was to have it running today...Nope..

but radiator showed up today.....still waiting for header bolts from TTi...tracking number says they will be here on Saturday....good thing the post office still has Saturday mail...

new radiator in...electric fan in and wired...carpet in...dash pad in...need to get kick panels in...seat have all the holes drilled and ready to be bolted in...just got tired and it was getting late.

engine needs header bolts..and oil filter re-installed..need 3/4 rubber expansion plug to block off water outlet on water pump...

Looks like Monday or Tuesday to fire car...

going the Summit Nationals tomorrow...with my Jeg;s hat on..

How do you like running fuel lines directly to each bowl instead of a single fuel line?

make it easier to remove bowls for jet changes...and it probably provides more fuel volume also...

Thanks Tony. I get my car to SoCal with me very soon to put back together after 4 years of nothing but body work. Seeing how well your car runs gets me excited to put the 410 together. Awesome build.

Worked on spare tranny.....got new rear band in...got another front drum from WIT trans...

pistons fell into place with lip seals unlike other drum...where is my sledge hammer...LOL

need to soak some clutch disc...and reload front drum..and do final assembly....maybe today...maybe not..

Heck yes! :D

Things to do pile....8 pt roll bar....front and rear fiberglass bumpers....the light weight seat goes with the roll bar ....

Attachments

• IMG_0826.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 549
Good to hear your youngest is learning Tony.Good times for a beginner,having never raced before.:DLooks like you have some new additions to keep you busy for awhile.I hope you can get the roll cage in before the really hot days get to you.Good luck.

Look Mom..no bumpers....

Roll Bar wont go in until this fall....

Attachments

• IMG_0829.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 526
  • IMG_0830.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 491
Fiberglass Hood wont be here until next week...dam...

got the fiberglass bumpers on this afternoon...no camera.....but they look ahell alot better then old bumpers..

ok...decided to run a compression test on engine just to see what it was at ...plus for future reference.

compression gauge...shows 90 ps...cylinders 1 , 3...the it jumps to 150 on 5....whoa...rerun 5...i get 90 psi...dam...i think this gauge is a pos...

switch gauge....all hit at 150-160........other gauge relief valve is screwed...lol

also....plugs look kind of sooty....Installed FAST A/F meter....see what we get at the track friday night...

one more thing...want to change out throttle cable...old /6 cable feels rough went you move it...

ok...decided to run a compression test on engine just to see what it was at ...plus for future reference.

compression gauge...shows 90 ps...cylinders 1 , 3...the it jumps to 150 on 5....whoa...rerun 5...i get 90 psi...dam...i think this gauge is a pos...

switch gauge....all hit at 150-160........other gauge relief valve is screwed...lol

also....plugs look kind of sooty....Installed FAST A/F meter....see what we get at the track friday night...

one more thing...want to change out throttle cable...old /6 cable feels rough went you move it...

Damn I bet that freaked you out for a minute...... Except it runs too damn good for any of that!

bumpers....

Attachments

• IMG_0832.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 469
  • IMG_0831.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 477
Shipping company called..they want to deliver a fiberglass hood on monday...dam...almost made it for this weekend.

Took Duster out to the TnT tonight...another hot night...

I ran a 11.85 @ 111.
11.77 @ 112
11.75 @ 112.88

60 ft 1.620
330 4.751
660 7.428
mph 91.29
1000 9.763
1/4 11.755
mph 112.88

60 ft time were between 1.599 and 1.620

Car with me weights in at 3100 lbs.

New hood should take another 40+ lbs off the front.

-
Back