71 Duster 360 (new project)

-
SO what do those wheel wells look like now? And not moving springs in? Asking becase I figured could be easier to move rear back 1in and gain tire clearance then cut the lip, IF you were moving the springs in anyways of course.

Not moving springs in at this time..a 9 x 28 slick will fit with minor trimming...what you need to look out for is tire growth ...and it will rub on the front of the fender wheel...

http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/wopen.shtml

Friday..not been a very productive week...

This morning drilled weld wheels for screws for slicks..gotta find my 9/16 drill bit to open up the valve stem hole for the tubes. Probably wont get slicks mounted until Monday now. Found distributor cap and plug wires, got that all corrected.

Had to heilcoil one of the transmission pan bolts this morning also.

Got the dash cap in yesterday, waiting on Carpet to finish interior now...it is in the mail i was told.

Going to mate engine and trans on Monday, shoot for Tuesday/Wednesday installation..and hopefully running by Friday...

Well..he has until next friday...cause this duster has to be at the race track on april 19...so i want to have it done by april 12

Did a few things today...got flexplate and converter line up together and a dap of paint..

Tried to install converter with trans on bench...converter did not want to seat ...so I used gravity...and it dropped right it...like it was too easy...

So converter and trans ready to go...and the trans was painted black went I got it...

Attachments

• IMG_0800.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 655
  • IMG_0801.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 678
  • IMG_0802.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 666
Ok..had the new 9 x 28 slicks mounted this morning..all the wheel scews are in, and got them installed on the Duster...plenty of room all around.

Had to get bolts and nuts for motor mounts...all installed now...spun the oil pump again with priming tool, got intermediate shaft installed so Number 1 is where I want it...

Intake manifold installed this afternoon...lined up perfect..

Took engine off engine stand and connect the 904 to it this afternoon also, got converter bolts installed, got a few odds and ends to do in morning, then the 360/904 goes into the 71 Duster.

Was going to shoot some pictures but I forgot to put the memory card back in camera.

well..had engine all hook up and ready to go in this morning and then I realize, that the engine brackets were the wrong ones. I got these from the local mopar guru a few years ago, said they were A body brackets....well, they are E body brackets...

It is good to have another mopar hoarder just around the corner, got lucky and saw Earl working in garage, he fixed me up with the right brackets...

drop 360 engine and 904 into Duster this afternoon, and got passenger side header bolt on....need to finish tranny lines, dam, I was going to them while the 904 sat on the ground but...

no pictures..forgot camera..

I am also baby sitting grandson while working on car...so things are moving too fast...

what a day...got moroso electric water pump hooked up after trip to Lowes to get long enough bolts...

radiator went in and then out...then ordered an aluminium 2 core from fellow mopar guy...that was on my wish list for this car....got other items..not needed now....

got trans cooler mounted...got driver side headers up..dam TTi flanges are so thick...need their 1 inch long bolts...the 3/4 header bolts hardley engage the heads....called and ordered a set this afternoon...

got shifter linkage hook up...and then uninstalled ..to get cooler lines ...got rear line hook up from trans to cooler...but not the front line...wow...

the front cooler line from the trans I use a #6 120 degree fitting...Earls to be exact...and I have a tool that makes installed braided line pretty simple...well..this is the first fitting that i can not get the braided line to slide in....unbelievable...that one fitting is the last thing i have to do under the car...except the driveshaft...

funniest part...i could not find that fitting for several hours...looked everywhere..even blamed jeg's ...i found the blister package...figured there must have been a 90 degree in there by mistake....

well...looking for my keys at the end of the day...i still my hand in my pants pocket...and ****...it is in my right hand pocket....It is hell getting old..anyway in my panic...I had already ordered another fitting from summit ....but still could not get the line into the hose end...tomorrow is another day...

Got my carpet now...and dash pad caps...need to spend a few hours finishing the interior....still gotta make a rear firewall...

Attachments

• IMG_0803.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 591
  • IMG_0804.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 601
  • IMG_0805.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 599
Tomorrow...Thursday...

Gotta get that line hooked up and starter installed...then reconnect everything...

Then start on installing 1 wire powermaster alternator..need to find alternator bracket in pile of stuff...

Dont know as of now...was thinking about the monster mopar in bakersfield..but it is close to the bracket finals here in vegas....going have to wait and see...

Those TTi headers started life as chrome...i sprayed ceramic header paint over the chrome...look good for now...probably all fall off went the engine starts....but what the hell....had the paint just sitting there...

Tony,thread should be stickied ,as an NHRA legal Sportsman build. Sweet detail.

On another note...Been looking at the rules for Sportsman class...and it say mufflers are required...can not figure why they are "required"....slicks are legal now...used require a DOT tire...

More then likely Duster will run in Pro and just foot braking it.....Race cars dont have mufflers...LOL

Mufflers? Sportsman? The slicks,are nice,though. Must be shooting,for metro area strips,maybe.....

Curious,Tony..... Are CalTracs allowed,in Sportsman? They do shock,the DOT/ "drag radials" ,pretty hard. Just a thought.

yes..rules only say no electronics....dial in 12 flat to 19.99 ...mufllers required.....5 tenths full tree...staging optional...probably allows deep staging..

there is no street class anymore...sportsman is street now...but make mufflers optional...lets me some noise..

would not take alot to hang a set of mufflers on the car....straight pipe with mufflers in front of rear end....hell...there is a muffler shop just a couple of blocks from that house...dont know if anyone speaks english there....lol...actually they do...have had a head pipe installed..and few other exhaust things done...l

Looking good Tony,must be freeing up space in the garage useing up spare parts.:DGood luck with the rear firewall.

-
Back