71 Duster 360 (new project)

-
Well...8 pt roll bar....8 pts welded in...

Started on Tubs...Tubs won today....did not have the proper tools at the garage...

Bringing in the saws all and air chisel......and will attack with those tools...

Dam...air chisel and sawzall....dam...those old tubs kicked my butt...

but got them out....need to do some trimming and measuring and start getting new tubs back in....

Note to self...next time...install tub first before roll bar..and rear firewall...

well...started to put the new tubs in...made template out of cardboard to see if I am close...then transfer those measurements on to tub....

drilled a couple of 1/8 holes so i can put it back in the same place once the tub is assembled....

but of all things...i need a good marking pen...and I did not have one...so I quit....

well...i actually did some more demolation on the passenger side...now except for a couple of small spots on each end it is ready also

Attachments

• IMG_1043.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 505
  • IMG_1044.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 511
  • IMG_1045.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 496
One tub in.....just clamped...

had alot of fun assembling the tub...gotta love those Pittsburgh seams....lol

Attachments

• IMG_1047.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 475
Love it went I get out of bed..and the UPS guy has already dropped off a package...

Chassis Engineering Ladder Bar kit with front mounts and track bar....

still got one more tub to finish...had a few other thing to do .....before i get back to work on Duster...

In the picture...they are covered with dust...with finger prints..

Back to my day job...got the passenger side tub in the car and mounted...

should have everything wrapped up in a day or two....

then move on to putting ladder bars on the Duster.

Tubs are done...just need to use some caulking to seal around the edges...

moving on to Ladder bars on Monday...

Used one tube of silicone today...tubs sealed

Began assembling the ladder bars....wont start on them until monday...going to go out and watch some racing friday.

after taking the weekend off...actually 3 days...lol

Started on Ladder Bars today, basically got them assembled...have to get there were all the bolts will slide in and out ....make sure they are the same length...

got the front mount cut to length...and got front mount located and added additional mounting area welded onto frame rail...

got front mount brackets on front mount....just need to tack weld and double check location...then burn...

this is going pretty fast.....i guess being it is the 3rd set i have done.....

but i need to find some rear coil over shocks..

close by no cigar....got everything hanging under the car but gave up ...

need to get everything squared up.....but now i am using a digital level...and previous cars i used a simple bubble level...well..with the digital I think I am splitting hairs...

so sometimes it is nice just to walk away....already figured out a couple of things that should help tomorrow afternoon....should have them welded in tomorrow night...and hopefully get the SS springs off the car forever...

just trying to figure out the best bang for the buck for coil over shocks....

now if it was best bang for the buck on heads...i could just read the on going thread ....LOL

70aarcuda
Master Hoader of SBM

View Photos By: 70aarcuda

Tubs are done...just need to use some caulking to seal around the edges...
That qualifies, as craftmanship,Tony. Any pics? The last tub job I saw,took 3 tubes. Yes it was awful,yes a 69 Camaro. It did run 9:70's (on slicks,and fully rubbed).You get the idea.

post 429 has one photo...dont think i have taken anymore....well check the SD card...

i will take camera with me tomorrow....lol

Took camera with me...but no photos due to having to take grandson to park...i promised him i would take him before dark...LOL

anyway...after several hours of getting this thing squared under the rear frame rail...I was able to tack weld the front mount...and ladder bars in place....Got dam digital level is too accurate...LOL

Hopefully...I have enough gas left in the tank to finish welding tomorrow...

Got a set of coil over shocks on the way...along with the springs...

Well..thought i would get these ladder bars welded in today...as i was trying to get done before I ran out of gas...dam...ran out of wire...drove over to lowes about 1/2 away...and **** ..No .030 steel wire...

So I quit for the day....Lower shock mounts are suppose to be here tomorrow...and monday the shocks are scheduled for delivery....so we are getting close...

got the old SS springs off today ....back in storage....bought those back in 2006 and they have less then 20 passes down the strip on them ...8 on Tonya 71 Dart...and about a dozen on this Duster...lol

Used alot of high tech tools...couple of bottle jacks...one floor jack...carpenter square...digital level and torpedo level....string with nuts on them that were used as a plump bob to measure between the inside of the ladder bars...diagonally to ensure they were square..and a couple of tape measures..

Attachments

• IMG_1068.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG_1067.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_1066.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_1069.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 345
  • IMG_1065.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 349
Used alot of high tech tools...couple of bottle jacks...one floor jack...carpenter square...digital level and torpedo level....string with nuts on them that were used as a plump bob to measure between the inside of the ladder bars...diagonally to ensure they were square..and a couple of tape measures
How the finished product, ends up. All that counts.

Made and welded in triangular supports that go in front of the ladder bar front mount...they come off the frame rails at 45 degrees on to the front mount...

then finished up some welding on bracing on the ladder bar rear mounts...and then...ran out of gas...

got 10 lb spool of wire and no gas......always seems to be one of the other...

FedEx driver showed up at 5 pm with lower shock mounts....So I am done until monday...

Hope to have this all done by Tuesday...maybe...

You need the Monster bottle and a small back up bottle along with 2 spools of extra wire at all times! This way you can swap them out like your Engine's and Trans! Throw it in the guttaaa and install anothaaa, Lol

I ended up doing it. 3 Bottles, 2 machines and I always have an assortment of wire and tig rod. You know how it is though when you have it all, you don't need either. haaaa

Yes..i got enough wire now....I have a smaller bottle...wanted to upgrade the bottle size...I should have went I bought this new welder...probably could have gotten a good deal...or at least a better deal....

Looks like next week is going to be a short week anyway...I am going to work at the NHRA national even that is in town.

Well...lower shock mounts showed up on friday....did not pay attention went I opened the box...but today I took everything out of the box...and realized someone at Jegs can not count....

Maybe I should take these out to LVMS this weekend and give the extra one back to Jeggie.. I know it is probably killing the bottom line on their business...

Attachments

• IMG_1070.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 304
-
Back