71 Duster 360 (new project)

-
Nothing getting done this week...Heading to Sacramento to visit Mom...she is 91 and not getting any younger...

Should be back on Friday...all the parts for the steering column should be here...and get an engine put back together ...and trans and converter setup based on the engine we decide to go with.

well..back to work...

worked on steering column....both ends...LOL...

got the spline insert from Jegs...also had the insert bearing for the bottom of column from ebay.....couple minutes with grinder on both ends and spline insert is tapped on...and insert bearing goes oh shaft..and intol the column...looks good..

then as I am putting the column back into the rag joint falls apart....****...anyway...looking to get rid of rag joint now....

using the removable hub...i redrilled the steering wheel to a 5 bolt pattern.....

moving forward........

finally got that dam steering column door...no more rag joint...nice Universal joint...has new lower column bearing....and a remove steering hub with steering wheel mounted on it...everything bolt down..

tomorrow...starting puting the seat back in...and need to make a rear seat brace.

due to some afternoon fun...I got the bracket made...and bolted on to the back of the seat...looks like i will need to drill new holes in the floor...as the roll bar is pushing the seat over a couple of inches....and that is what she said...

Happy Thanksgiving....

Seat is bolt down....back of seat is braced to the roll bar....seat can be moved back n forth for different drivers...back seat brace is adjustable....

moving on...

can not find the keys to the car...need to get into trunk...lol

suppose to be pretty cold this week..need to pull an engine out of a 69 barracuda...so it can be reconfigured for this duster....

did not do anything today....getting cold...and going to be cold for the next week....cold for us overnight lows in the 20s...and daytime highs in 30s...so I am cheesing out...next on agena is the engine and transmission package...

pictures from earlier this week...work on steering column and removeable steering hub......

and the car needs cleaning been sitting for several months.

Attachments

• IMG_1093.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 405
  • IMG_1094.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 407
  • IMG_1095.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 394
  • IMG_1096.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 406
I gotta get this car back together....as now i am thinking about changing things....

Got a set of rear Strange Disc brake sitting in box...looks like they will go on this duster...and began accumulating parts to switch out front brakes...going from KH setup to light weight Strange Disc brakes like the other two cars have....and Tubular Upper control arms...adjustable strut rods....

so far i got the spindles...and lower ball joints ....PM someone about the strut rods...
Hopefully Summit will have their 20% discount this holiday season....looks like RMS is the only source of UCA these days....

Got some nice shinny new disc brakes on the rear now....less then a hour to install...

Attachments

• IMG_1100.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_1099.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 373
  • IMG_1098.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 355
Pretty work Tony. :thumleft: Love the CE ladders in your pics. All that breaking power might come in useful on the big end...:D.

Too F" ing cold...Was in garage for a hour or so...I bought a Lisle Cam bearing tool a couple of years ago off craigs list for 40 bucks...decided to finally play with it...after a few minutes....finally read the instructions ...knocked out 4 of the cam bearing...and knocked the front bearing back in ...practice with old bearing....

going to watch a couple Youtube videos on R&R cam bearings...lol

Too F" ing cold...Was in garage for a hour or so...I bought a Lisle Cam bearing tool a couple of years ago off craigs list for 40 bucks...decided to finally play with it...after a few minutes....finally read the instructions ...knocked out 4 of the cam bearing...and knocked the front bearing back in ...practice with old bearing....

going to watch a couple Youtube videos on R&R cam bearings...lol

Yes it is Cold. It was 28* this morning at my house and this is Sunny CA, LOL. I hope my well pumps and pipes don't freeze. I wrapped them a couple years ago because they did and I have tarps over everything…. Fingers are crossed.

You know how to do everything else. I am sure you will whip the cam bearing hurdle too!

No work on Duster today....

Wanted to check out surge brakes on trailer...actually want to convert to electric...after getting everything figured out...ordered parts from Etrailer.com...in about a week..should trailer will have 4 wheel electric brakes....pretty simple....lol

while wating for the UPS truck...need to check rear brakes on old 94 dodge 2500...that big old dana rear...

suppose to be a heat way by this weekend..60s....gotta get the shorts n teeshirt out again..

Pulled 360 out of 69 Barracuda this morning...Barracuda next car to get some love after 71 Duster is done.

That 360 and 904 with Brake is going into 71 Duster....Should have it in later this week...got a few other things to do before I get to it....Trailers need some attention...

If you ever need trailer parts or questions let me know it's been my profession for 15 years and I have wholesale accounts at several places.

If you ever need trailer parts or questions let me know it's been my profession for 15 years and I have wholesale accounts at several places.

thanks..I am converting one trailer from Surge brakes to 4 wheel Electric brakes...parts will be here on Tuesday...and we found a crack in the frame on the other trailer...so i need to do a little welding and bracing...on Monday...

Fixed crack in frame today...acuatlly just weled the cracked....and braced them...going to add a couple of pieces of 2 x 3 square tubing to rear part of trailer...

Brake backing plates and drums ...accordling to UPS suppose to be sometime Tuesday....for trailer no.2

So instead of waiting for the UPS guy...cause if i wait here...he wont show up until 4 pm...LOL...

Going to push Duster out of the garage...sweep the floor...and unload engine and trans off trailer.....

Got to do cut a couple of things on trans so CSR Shield will fit...and some minor cleaning on the outside of the engine....Was going to change intake from Holley SD to Indy w2 intake...not for now...need to get the engine and trans in and running..

Then have to deal with the header issue...LOL..

Well..things went well today. Got the Shield installed...cut a few chunks of aluminum off the trans.

Had to make a small cut on the shield to clear the rear trans cooler line...

Also noted..once this shield is on...Dont see how you could adjust the front band..

Got the engine in...be a few days before it is ready to run, gotta to work on trailer brakes as the parts are here.

Another thing...the dip stick...you can not use the stock bracket that bolts on to the rear of the block ...

Attachments

• IMG_1101.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG_1102.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_1103.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_1104.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_1105.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 301
Spent yesterday putting new brakes on all four wheels on a car trailer...4 backing plates...2 new drums...repacked all wheel bearing....grease...i hate grease.

gotta wire them up next....

Back to the Duster...put water pump and electric water pump on...got the new E85 carb bolted on...that took a couple minutes....the worst is getting the alternator to line up ....shims..

Slowing down for a couple days....gotta tackle the headers...that is only big thing to do....

I gotta a set of Autometer gauges to replace the cheap summit gauges......

Spent yesterday putting new brakes on all four wheels on a car trailer...4 backing plates...2 new drums...repacked all wheel bearing....grease...i hate grease.

gotta wire them up next....

Back to the Duster...put water pump and electric water pump on...got the new E85 carb bolted on...that took a couple minutes....the worst is getting the alternator to line up ....shims..

Slowing down for a couple days....gotta tackle the headers...that is only big thing to do....

I gotta a set of Autometer gauges to replace the cheap summit gauges......

You kicked my butt today. I only got an oil change done on the POS Scamp! Lol

hey...that QFT E 85 carb is 3.5 lbs lighter then the Holley Gas carb it replaced...lol

Well..was trying to get alternator installed...and get the pullies lined up...after a couple of minutes of being puzzled...I realized I did not have Eddy heads...so I dont have that inch of aluminum overlapping the block and not letting the square back alternator fit...I just used the stock bushing...and bingo...the **** fit..

got trans cooler in...aluminum radiator bolted down...lower hose on ...then I can not find upper hose...after looking around where all the parts where went i torn the old engine out...nothing...So I sit down...and looking up...where all the intakes manifolds are sitting on a shelf...I see a hose still connected to the Air Gap intake....getting old sucks...

So waiting on headers...then connect shifting linkage...and put starter on....need to pull intermediate shaft out..and spin oil pump as this engine has not run in a good 2 years...and get shafts and stands bolted down...adjust valves in the old MP 590 cam......pour some corn syrup in the tank....and fire...

-
Back