71 Duster 360 (new project)

-
getting closer....got the hubs put together...3 inch studs screwed...packed inter and outer wheel bearings...put the hubs on the spindles...and hand tighten nut...also hand tightened lower ball joints...

just need those upper control arms....wednesday...track number says..

did a very other small things...put driveshaft back in car....trying to find correct electrical connector for transbrake....had one in my had the other day....can not remember where i put it...

got new plug wires I need to get installed on cap.....distributor still needs to go in.....going to use the old Autolite AR51 plugs to refire the engine.

So for the last week or so UPS tracking number shows the upper control arms being delivered today...so i check it last night...and it shows that they arrived in Vegas around 11 pm...so I am waiting this morning for the brown truck...and i check the tracking number to see if they are out for delivery...NOPE...changed delivery date to Thursday...ASSHOLES....

So for the last week or so UPS tracking number shows the upper control arms being delivered today...so i check it last night...and it shows that they arrived in Vegas around 11 pm...so I am waiting this morning for the brown truck...and i check the tracking number to see if they are out for delivery...NOPE...changed delivery date to Thursday...ASSHOLES....

Everything that I have ordered before during and after Christmas/New Years has been delayed. I had a UPS Driver ring my gate at 8:30pm Last night for a package delivery. Crazieee!

well...I got a few of the little things to do...bolt on header collector extensions...wire that transbrake now that I found the fitting...put water in radiator ...look for leaks...LOL

and cut new spark plug wires to length...set timing for firing the engine.......

but was hoping to get the front end done...

wasted day....got transbrake wired...got collectors off old headers but not on new headers...put got the distributor in and timing set to fire engine..

put water in radiator...water leak from corner of water pump between pump and timing chain cover...pump comes off in morning...LOL

Sounds like you're makin' more progress then most this time of year Tony. Any idea what you're looking for from the new combo in the Duster this year?

Sounds like you're makin' more progress then most this time of year Tony. Any idea what you're looking for from the new combo in the Duster this year?

well..the motor came out of the 69 barracuda...but now in a car a few hundred pounds heavier...but this duster has a few thing better then the old barracuda...light weight disc brakes on all 4 corners...smaller and lighter wheels/slicks..LOL

I actually think the smaller tube headers will work better then the 2 inch hooker headers that were on the old barracuda....the E85 should give it a few more ponies...

my guess in Vegas....10.90 ish....

I dont think this engine has but about 20 passes on it....

So we will find out in 5 weeks.....LOL...

well...heading to the gas station this morning...i see my UPS driver across the street delivering a package at a business....hurry across the street and wait outside...say..hey you got a package for me...LOL...Yuph...get my UCA....

Attachments

• IMG_1113.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 392
So front end is back together...need to put torsion bars back in......and of course align the front end....and i dont have any tires on the 4.5 bolt pattern rims ...LOL....next week...

ok...ok....

torsion bars are back in and somewhat adjusted...need to get car on ground to get final front end height done......did a quick check on the toe..moved the tie rods so they are equal length and the rotors are pointing straight ahead...so I should be somewhat close...plus the steering is now centered..

well...went to bleed the new brakes...all 4 corners have strange disc brakes....I have a pressure bleeder that makes it all simple...but ...can not find the one part the goes on the dam master cylinder...so that is delayed...

anyway...I had made mention of a dam water leak..top of water pump between the by pass and heater ...tried to mickey mouse it...but it still leaked...removed ....cleaned both pump and timing over surfaces...put some new RTV...and will see tomorrow....

Then i went on a bicycle ride with my grandson....

Think I am going to fire the engine tomorrow...plus I gotta adjust the rear coil over shock ride height...off just a bit...but got plenty of adjustment ...

my god what a day....so I decide today I am going to fire the engine...spin motor over without any plugs...oil pressure comes up...ok...put plugs in...wait...gotta put some fuel in the tank...

I was expecting one fitting to leak...and it did not disappoint me,,,,that leak quickly fixed...but then two swivel fitting on the primary bowl leaks...leaking around the swivel part...dam POS...

finally had to cut a new piece of hose and put two new fitting on it....and while I was trying to fix the leak while the pump was running...I notice that the regulator is pegged...12 psi....fuel blowing by the needle and seats and down the carb....

Once leaks are fixed...regulator now working...hit starter with ignition off...engine crank half of turn and stop....oh ****.....cylinder full of E85....all the plugs come out....spin motor....shower. of ethanol out the cylinders.....I spay the cylinders with some wd 40....and decide to take a break as everything drys outs....

ok switch on....engine fires...and seems to running shitting...after a few pops....it dies...LOL....well...as i guess...plug wire 5 and 7 are wrong....usually the ones i get screwed up went i do screw up....LOL.....fire again...sounds alot better....hit it with timing light...ok...set at 34 degrees....some minor adjustments on carb idle mixture.....started to lean it out...but it did not like it...

cold engine...cold weather...E85.....just let it warm up.....get it up to 180....and shut it off......and then i notice the puddle of trans fluid on floor...the rear line fitting needs to be snugged... Tomorrow...

Got 3 days to get everything finished....part for brake bleeder wont be here until thursday afternoon...

Need to get tires off 5 x 4 centerlines to 5 x 4.5 centerlines...LOL

Sounds like you had a day like I always have when working on my POS. Everything is HARD as heck always. I even scream it in the shop by myself. WTheF@#%! is everything so damn hard...........if I am working on it it is hard as hell! lol

when's LVMS first race Tony? I think we're going to have some fun with our 360 before we try the other mill.

Slow day..Had a sick dog last night...the little old rat terrier who is 16 yrs old...coughed up a storm for several hours....and I was the lucky one who stayed up with him....and then to the Vet this morning...and got some medicine for his bronchitis ....plus some narcotite cough syrup...knock that dog out...LOL

anyway....got a new set of plug wires on the car...got the front tires but not on the car.....my part shows up tomorrow to bleed the brakes.....easier went the tires are not in the way....

and one last thing...after yesterday dumping of e85 into the carb.....gotta change the oil/filter....it smells like E85....

Yeah I was going to blurp something about that yesterday!

I smelled the oil several times yesterday...but I had spilled some much of that crap....could not detect it as well as today since everything has been air out and dried up....

might dump 5 qts and run it thru the motor and drain it...again..

FedEX is f****d up....I got two packages due today ...tracking number says they are out for delivery....so at 1 30 pm...Fedex truck pulls in front of house...guy bring one package..I said I got two to be delivery...OH..that other one is on a different truck...WTF...both packages came out of the same terminal...and the second package is the one I really need...parts for the pressure bleeder....so i get home at 6 pm..and that package is sitting on the door step...

Had to fix tranny leak...the rear AN fitting was loose...was tight went i put the engine in...LOL

Any way...drained oil out of engine...pour two quarts of oil....one each down each valve cover....let it drain out the pan....put new filter on ....put plug back in....fire engine...let it run for a good 15 miles...get good and hot....even shut off electric fan...

played with carb....adjusting idle mixture...and Idle speed...had it idling nice at 1000 rpm...which is probably too low for my daughter...LOL.....filled transmission up with Type F.....

shut off engine and drained oil again.....

now for the small ****....the telfon washer on the oil pan pug was cause a very small drip...so I swapped out plugs from another pan...and ****...it leaks worst....gotta go find a Teflon washing in morning...

So bleed brakes...and put front tires on it...and it comes off jack stands...and probably align front end next week...

bleed brakes...quick job with proper tools....those Strange calipers got 4 bleeders on each one...gotta bleed the top two...usually need to tap on caliper with rubber mallet to get trapped air to rise..

adjust rear shocks...lower the adjuster.....

and now ...the oil pan plug..swapped out from another pan...and that one dripped more then the other....picked up some new nylon washers this evening...give it a go in morning.....No oil in engine...and i see a few drop of tranny fluid from the trans cooler in the front....gotta get it running and see where it dripped from....

car is now on all 4 wheels now.....

took some pictures....post in morning..

LVMS changed schedule already....TnT feb 15....1st race on Feb 16..instead of the 21st.....

Everything is dirty...the car...the floor...but at least it is on 4 wheels again....you can see on the cardboard...my oil pan bolt drips...LOL

Attachments

• IMG_1151.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_1152.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_1153.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_1154.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 281
Got the front end aligned....zero camber...6 degrees of caster...and less then 1/8 of toe in...

Had to readjust the rear shocks to get the correct ride hight plus...set the base click on the double adjustable shocks....see one more problem...front of 29 inch tall tires are pretty close to the opening of the rear fenders...couple minutes with grinder will fix that...

still can not find my craftsman timing light...LOL

Got the front end aligned....zero camber...6 degrees of caster...and less then 1/8 of toe in...

Had to readjust the rear shocks to get the correct ride hight plus...set the base click on the double adjustable shocks....see one more problem...front of 29 inch tall tires are pretty close to the opening of the rear fenders...couple minutes with grinder will fix that...

still can not find my craftsman timing light...LOL

Where do you take it for alignment?

Did you adjust the tubulars like the directions say for Caster? All the way screwed in on the back heim and about 4-5 threads showing on the front Heim?

Alignment done by me...LOL...

Bought a camber/caster gauge at year or so ago.....pretty easy to do...

I screwed the back in all the way...then back out 2 turns...the front are set with two additional turn outwards from RMS recommended setting....if that make sense.

-
Back