71 Duster 360 (new project)

-
Did a few minor things today, clearance the front of the wheel well so the 29.5 tires fit...and the brake pedal went to the floor...LOL.....after bleeding brake last week, I nothing two fitting on the rear brakes were leaking....tighten them up and rebleed brakes...rock solid now.

started unloading the 4 post lift ....that thing is heavy.........this is going to be fun...lol

Finally got the timing set on that dam thing...lol....35 degrees...motor sound crisp now...

1st TnT is 3 weeks away.....now...gotta order a set of belts...and do the header collector tether crap....

Got one more thing to get wired up....need to get back tires on jack stands and test transbrake ...and two step...make sure went transbrake is engaged the low side of the two step is activated..

Bought a new timing light 3 days ago...and my daughter found my old craftsman timing light tonight buried under a bunch of power tools....about what i figured...

put the rear end on jack stands...fired up engine...ran like ****...dam...front needle and seat again...same thing happened on the other QFT 950 E85....take it out...blow it out...now holds...

Fire up engine...sound good now...

Put trans in gear...wheels are turning...shift thru gears...everything ok....put it in reverse...tires dont move...which is correct....hit transbrake button...tires go backwards.....

put trans back in 1st gear....step on brakes...holding tires from moving....Engage Transbrake...take foot off brakes....wheels dont move.....thats good...

rev up engine...let go of button wheels turn....do it again....hit throttle...with transbrake engaged...2 step catches engine at 3000 rpm...let go of button...2 step comes off......

all is good.......

Still need to get a 4.56 gear set up this car...has 4.30 still in it.....

new seat belts showed up on Friday...will get them installed on Monday...

Feb 15 is rapidly coming...

I'll see you there Tony.... I think I'm actually ready to roll. Just put my belts in this weekend. If things go well saturday, we're staying the night and running sundays race. You still park up near the back of the stands? Seems that was your "spot" back in the day.

With the entourage these days...3 cars...3 trailers...3 pickups....might be taking up half of the pits at LVMS....lol

Probably will try to get to back of the grandstand as it is less walking for me...but I will have my bicycle...lol

Saturday...Probably only have two cars there...as this Duster will be needing most of the attention...and have 71 Dart.....Sunday should have all 3 cars there if the two above survive the day along with my debt card...lol

Paid Doctor Diff website a visit.....new spool...new ring and gear...new crush sleeve eliminator... new yoke......hope to have new gearing in car by feb 15...

Belts installed...

Looks like I overfilled the trans....drip...drip...

Well...going to sit down in morning and make a short list of things that need to get done by next wednesday...actually gotta do a total of 3 list...and need to check out trailers....fire up the old motorhome....gotta registry it....going with Class Vehicle plates...no more smog...

Looks like I will be tethering headers today....Mail man showed up with a box of tethers....maybe the Post office should tether mail men to their trucks.....

tethers are a BIG Pain in ***.....ok done...

box showed up today from Doctor Diff...parts to assemble a 4.56 rear...using a 489 case....see if I can get this to the rear end place on monday....and get it back by friday...should.....

other wise i will probably put the 9 x 28 tires back on.....as even the 4.56 with 29.5 tires is still a conservative gear for the car...

30 spline 4.30 strange spool and strange big u-joint yoke.... in case you're in the market!

that is what i have now...going to 4.56 with spool....hell..I got 3 8 3/4 with 4.30 gears...one with spool...two with sure grips....

already did this morning....put together the new shop vac....to vac out inside of cars...got very short list of things left to do......gotta spend an afternoon checking out trailers one day this week.

Dropped off the 8 3/4 case this morning..along with all the parts to assemble it....Drive line shop not sure if they can have it done by Fridays....have to wait and see....if not the 4.30 gears stays in car....might drop the tire diameter from 29.5 to 28....

but then again...probably the most important thing is that this car goes straight......LOL

Dropped off the 8 3/4 case this morning..along with all the parts to assemble it....Drive line shop not sure if they can have it done by Fridays....have to wait and see....if not the 4.30 gears stays in car....might drop the tire diameter from 29.5 to 28....

but then again...probably the most important thing is that this car goes straight......LOL

That place must be buried with work. I thought for sure you would do your own cause you do everything!
This is something that I am going to try and tackle with my buddy. He has done them for awhile now. Going to watch and try to learn it. He has the jig/stand which makes it easy to move around and work on.

I bought the universal pinion depth tool (which kinda sucked) and was starting to set up when an old school co-worker (rip) came over and looked it over. "Richmond gears huh?" he said.... "yep" I responded.... "put a .042 on it". He had my two sets of gears set up in about 30 minutes! I too have always steered clear of the "black magic" of setting up gears.

I thought we had sold the 4.30's, but that must have been the 4.56 set that my dad sold up in SoDak. Hoping to peddle these at MaTS.

Header teathers sucked down here too..... I'll probably be struck down by lightning, but I had to modify them to get them around the primary header tube. I ordered the ones for 1.87 tube, and couldn't even get them to fit a 1.84 tube. No way they would fit my old TTI's as they were 1.92! Shortened the bolt and increased the depth of the slot on the collar and finally got them on.... pita!

well...driveline shopped called this morning....case is screwed up...so that ends that adventure for now...LOL...one of the caps will not seat...you can see daylight threw it...went and picked up the parts ..no charge...they had everything done and was trying to set the backlash......But I got another 489 case...going to give it to a friend who set up the local stocker guys 8 3/4. Yeah..I got the pinion depth tool also...have not tried to do one yet...only had the tool about 15 yrs...will use it some day...LOL

yeah tethers....what a joke...60 bucks for 10 dollars worth of parts..but you need that approved tag ...LOL....yes I modified mind tonight also....as the headers both TTI and hookers have fully welded on collectors...but gotta tether the 10 inch extension that bolts onto the collector....I originally was going to tether the extension to one of the primary tubes...but that turned into a great PIA as trying to find a place on the primary tube you can the clamp around....so I am tethering the welded collector to the extension......what gets me ...is the Tech inspector going to actually check to see if the clamps are tight and installed correctly or...just look for the tag.....if they are looking just for the tag then the tether is no better then the 3 bolts that hold the extension on....rant done..

****...they only need to make you replace them every two years...as they take hell of a beating compared to the belts...

as they say in politics...follow the money

So is it only a requirement to tether open exhaust collectors or extensions or do people need to tether their full exhaust cars also?

Tony,where do you purchase these tagged tethers?Who,s stamp of approval is on the tag?Also could you post pics once you get your extensions tethered.Thanks

-
Back