71 Duster 360 (new project)

-
Time to get those W5's off of door stop duty!

oiled the track...LOL...right down the middle from 1000 ft on...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zepBMjXkKiA"]movie 01 01 - YouTube[/ame]

Looks like it let go when you stepped off it.....
KB Motor time... :)

Bummer She gave up the ghost... :(

and then i get the passenger side head off.....the oil pan has a hole in it on the driver side....am i missing something or is this a 7 cylinder motor.....piston and compete rod is gone...

Man that sucks tony. Guess you are going to have to transplant all your stuff to a new block. Did it screw up the combustion chamber when it decided to ventilate the block?

Looks like you'll be staying busy for a while. Hope the weather breaks soon for you guys, i'm sure it would make things easier.

Winter upgrades...

Roll Bar....Tubs ..mini or full tubs...Ladder bars and coil over shocks....

Motor capable of 11 flat with transbrake....

Those are the priorities...and if funds allow..upgrade front end with adjustable control arms and struts...and lasting ...like to put some lite weight brakes on it too.....

So that is our goal for this winter...

I hope I dont have to find a job....LOL

Got the engine out of the duster today...and got the pan off....and look at what i found....

the wrist pin is the best looking part in there...LOL...

Attachments

• IMG_1030.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 457
camshaft.....the lastest two piece.....or that 3/4 race cam you always wanted.

Attachments

• IMG_1031.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 467
distributor cap and rotor..

Attachments

• IMG_1024.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 468
oh what a mess.....you think the damaged dizzy parts have sth. to do with the damage of the block?

Michael

I have no idea...that distributor has been in used for years....MP race electronic with tach drive....

Block has big hole in cylinder on no.2, there is a picture of the damaged block on a few post back...

Found a very good price on a set of SRP flat top pistons this morning...ordered them....360 will go back in with those pistons and a set of 4340 I beam rods....

Damn Tony, you sure are a busy beaver. I like the 3/4 race cam! I ways wondered what one looked like! Lol....

I threw a rod on my old 340. Carnage looked just like that except arm part of the rod was not in tact. I put the new motor in, fired it up and Schrapnel was flying out tbe exhaust from
Parts and pieces stuck in The mufflers... My buddy was revving it up and I was behind the car. Almost got kilt!!

Found a very good price on a set of SRP flat top pistons this morning...ordered them....360 will go back in with those pistons and a set of 4340 I beam rods....

got an email back and the place said they had already sold those....ok....

since I have a good 360 that is .030...and pistons ...rings.....rods....going to order a scat 4 inch crank...cheaper then the pistons....block needs to be honed...cam bears...

get a set of mildly reworked eddy heads...and a good solid lifter cam.....be back in business ...

next week..the roll bar goes in...plus the tubbing will start too....

well...got the seats and carpet out this afternoon...got the duster on 4 jack stands....and level...

installing 8 point roll bar.....instead of weld the 6 x 6 plates to the floor...i decided to use 2 x 3 square tubing and make a kicker off the frame rail...and welding the main hoop directly to them..

got the kickers made and welded on the frame rail...cut an opening in floor for main hoop ...began welding..and bingo...run out of wire...

never seem to run out of wire went i am not welding...will continue tomorrow...and starting working on front bars too...wont do the rear until the wheel tubs get here on Wednesday.

got wire...10 lb spool....

finished welding main hoop in......

6 x 6 plate floor plate driver side kick panel...what a PIA...done...

driver side bar ...sized and fitted...gotta make sure you can open the door.....tacked welded in...

passenger size floor plate....got about half welded in...quit...

When i made some patch panels to replace rusted pieces....I painted the floor with Por 15 and used a sealant on the new panel....well...after grinding on floor...went you weld that **** get hot and smokes...

Headache....done for the day...

got passenger side floor plate done..and both door bars are welded in....

went to notch the main hoops cross brace...dam, hole saw would not cut .....heading for lowes in morning

ok...worked on rear struts...got hole cut in rear firewall for struts....pretty good guess where it needed to be...not my 1st rodeo...

ok....Fed Ex guy dropped off wheel tubs.....****...now the fun begins...

Damn ,you wanna race!(lol). The 408,gonna be fun. Subscribed.

wanting to have the roll bar..and tubs done by next friday....looks like the weather is cooling down...

plus gotta get the interior all put back together....

then move on to the rear suspension and ladder bars/coil over shocks..

Man! If this is what retirement is like, I think I want to stay employed....LOL!

yeah..I need to go back to work for a vacation...

anyway...got the rear struts cut and tack welded in place...also got the main hoop cross brace resized....

I did not use plates in the rear...cut a small hole in trunk...and welded in a cross brace between the frame rails and put the rear struts on that..

nice to have that tube notcher....and a hole saw that cuts...

gotta switch wire tomorrow..getting everything cleaned up and burn everything in ....put interior back in...DONE....lol

Attachments

• IMG_1041.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_1040.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 333
  • IMG_1039.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_1038.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG_1037.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_1036.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_1035.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_1042.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 354
Well...Friday afternoon finished up welding in the main hoop cross brace....I got two bars left over that are suppose to go from the hoop to the frame rails.....I already have the main hoop welded to the frame rails...thought about not installing these short braces...But I think I will...

Next week...Wheel tubs.....Have done 2 other cars...but they are no fun.

-
Back