'72 disc brakes vs '73

-

Ken_B

Reaction score
So Ive searched and am not coming up with much, not the best with computers here. What are the differences between the spindles, if any, between a '72 sbp disc brakes and a '73 bbp disc brakes. The reason I ask is my car is a '72 sbp with disc brakes and I would like to put drop spindles on it without having to do the whole '73 front brakes swap but all the spindles I have found are the '73 up style. Would it be possible to use my existing components on a '73 style spindle?

Thanks in advance!

Car is a '72 Valiant 4 door with a /6 if this info is pertinant.

no sir. spindles, rotors, calipers, etc.. etc,, all different

The 73+ spindles have the bigger ball joint in the upper A arms. So they will need upper A arms, different ball joints, and the brake hardware as well. It 's a nice upgrade as the parts are easier to find and cost are less for ball joints, rotors, and calipers compared to the 72 and earlier parts.

Don't recall seeing 2" drop with the 72 and earlier spindle.

You can lower the ride height pretty low by adjusting the torsion bars and trimming the bump stops without putting out the money for new spindles. Of course a new alignment would probably be required and it may be difficult to achive proper specs being that low. There's always a sacrifice

Ahh so my fears were correct. Looks like the swap is in my future, just have to live with the torsion drop for now. Thanks for the info guys!

So Ive searched and am not coming up with much, not the best with computers here. What are the differences between the spindles, if any, between a '72 sbp disc brakes and a '73 bbp disc brakes. The reason I ask is my car is a '72 sbp with disc brakes and I would like to put drop spindles on it without having to do the whole '73 front brakes swap but all the spindles I have found are the '73 up style. Would it be possible to use my existing components on a '73 style spindle?

Thanks in advance!

Car is a '72 Valiant 4 door with a /6 if this info is pertinant.

the small bolt disc brake set up bring decent money. if you decide to swap over selling the small bolt stuff should offset your costs some

-
Back