72 Dodge Dart

-

Licorice72

Reaction score
So here I am. Moving from the welcome wagon forum (which wasn't too welcoming I might add), over to Members restoration page.

I did get some positive thoughts and wishes and good advice, and thats very appreciated. But man, let me tell you. These grown adults are worse then little kids at a play ground that want to make fun of the kid with glasses. Its sad actually!!!

But here it is, here I am. Take it or leave it.

I am a female, so please have some respect when it comes to the dirty comments. Thanks

:burnout:

Some of the items I have bought for my car!

and a custom made emblem because we are putting an LS1!

Attachments

• car 7.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 554
  • car 6.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 503
  • car 5.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 548
  • car 4.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 574
  • car 3.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 608
Welcome! I dig what you're doing...all of the big 3 built cool stuff....and **** at one time or another. Fact is, we all have more in common with any car guy/gal, regardless of brand loyalty, then we do with most.

I put a Ford 8.8 in my dart....Ya know, cause it was cheaper and made sense. Kinda like an LS. Keep at it:)

Looks great, what trans are you backing it with?

4L60E Tranny. Custom making tranny mount, but do not need to cut anything to make it fit!

Welcome! I dig what you're doing...all of the big 3 built cool stuff....and **** at one time or another. Fact is, we all have more in common with any car guy/gal, regardless of brand loyalty, then we do with most.

I put a Ford 8.8 in my dart....Ya know, cause it was cheaper and made sense. Kinda like an LS. Keep at it:)

Thank you! How many modifications did you have to do to put the 8.8 in it?

Very niiice ride. Love the paint and the outside the box retro's.
That's going to be a severe white knuckler when you finish her up.

I wish you a belated welcome. I really like what you are doing and honestly there is a lot of expertise here. So if you have any questions or on what or how you are going to do it. Some one here has either done it or has helped someone else do it. It is good to bounce it on the wall here.
Best of luck on you build and update us on how it is going.

I missed your welcome posting so welcome aboard! The car looks really great and the power plant is a bit different way to go but it's your ride and that's cool. Interested how many mods you need to make to make it work, good luck with the project!

So far we had to customize the NEW headers in order to fit the passenger side, had to notch out the K member for the front sump oil pan. Make brackets for the motor mounts and the tranny mount. I am a firm believer in not cutting or welding on the body or actual frame. (the k member I can replace, I have a few) lol.... The radiator is true to fit for a 72 dart swinger.

I do, how ever need help with deciding about my seats. I currently have bench seats, the vinyl and cloth checker, black and white with a small red line. Looks sweet . BUT I was debating to make it floor shift, bucket seats. Does anyone have advice on a good fit, column and seats.

My dad has MANY mopars from satellites, roadrunners, charger, barracudas, etc. any one of them, (or newer model vehicles) would anyone suggest I can use this stuff out of?

So far we had to customize the NEW headers in order to fit the passenger side, had to notch out the K member for the front sump oil pan. Make brackets for the motor mounts and the tranny mount. I am a firm believer in not cutting or welding on the body or actual frame. (the k member I can replace, I have a few) lol.... The radiator is true to fit for a 72 dart swinger.

I do, how ever need help with deciding about my seats. I currently have bench seats, the vinyl and cloth checker, black and white with a small red line. Looks sweet . BUT I was debating to make it floor shift, bucket seats. Does anyone have advice on a good fit, column and seats.

My dad has MANY mopars from satellites, roadrunners, charger, barracudas, etc. any one of them, (or newer model vehicles) would anyone suggest I can use this stuff out of?

Here are the before and after of the passenger side header. If you can tell what was done.

Attachments

• car 8.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 498
  • car 9.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 487
Awesome build you have. As others have said, I missed you on the welcome site. Keep us posted on your build, looks amazing so far.

Welcome! Sweet Dart. I have a 70. As far as seats go, for straight bolt in action, you can find any A-body seats will bolt up. When you take out the bench, you will see little dimples in the floor and that is where the A-body bucket tracks will go.

I have a set of seats out of a 79 Cordoba, but got some tracks from a junkyard and just built risers and bolted them in. I guess it depends on how much "fabbing" you want to do.

Welcome! Sweet Dart. I have a 70. As far as seats go, for straight bolt in action, you can find any A-body seats will bolt up. When you take out the bench, you will see little dimples in the floor and that is where the A-body bucket tracks will go.

I have a set of seats out of a 79 Cordoba, but got some tracks from a junkyard and just built risers and bolted them in. I guess it depends on how much "fabbing" you want to do.

Thanks for the idea, as far as how much "fabbing" lol, we will do what we have to do. I was thinking of something out of a newer magnum, charger, 300?

When it gets to that, I will put the seats and console from my magnum, JUST TO SEE, how it looks and fits. If I like then I will buy from a junk yard. I have lots of friends. I want comfort, and updated. (still confused on what I should do for the dash) My husband found that Dakota Digital has an instrument cluster for my car, looks the same, but all the numbers light up like the newer cars. So I can get the digital lighting with the original look.

Or should I try to use a dash out of the newer cars (charger, 300, magnum) BUT sounds like so much work... SO MANY DECISIONS!!! :banghead:

I will get it figured out. Found a website that sells the original tail light/brake lights lenses with LED lights. Looks awesome. www.CARid.com

just my opinion , but i suggest you think about keeping the bench seats in it . especially if you like the way they look . even if you put a floor shift in it . it would be super cool .

Thanks for the idea, as far as how much "fabbing" lol, we will do what we have to do. I was thinking of something out of a newer magnum, charger, 300?

When it gets to that, I will put the seats and console from my magnum, JUST TO SEE, how it looks and fits. If I like then I will buy from a junk yard. I have lots of friends. I want comfort, and updated. (still confused on what I should do for the dash) My husband found that Dakota Digital has an instrument cluster for my car, looks the same, but all the numbers light up like the newer cars. So I can get the digital lighting with the original look.

Or should I try to use a dash out of the newer cars (charger, 300, magnum) BUT sounds like so much work... SO MANY DECISIONS!!! :banghead:

I will get it figured out. Found a website that sells the original tail light/brake lights lenses with LED lights. Looks awesome. www.CARid.com

Modern seats are very common, and in my opinion a good idea. The console would be cool too. As far as the dash the Dakota digital is a nice piece if you have the money. I don't know about brand z dash, you would have to do so much work for it to maybe fit. Makes my head hurt thinking about it. Lol

Thank you! How many modifications did you have to do to put the 8.8 in it?

Sorry for the delay. Not much really...other members cracked the code on how to do it, I just followed in their footsteps. The 8.8 has an offset pumpkin. Shortened the long side axle tube, and bought a spare short axle and poked it in there. Relocated spring perches to accommodate an A body. The the whole thing disc to disc for 200 from a pick-n-pull.

I used seats from a 2003 Mercedes CLK 430. The key is to get seats from a 2 door, so they fold forward. I had to fab one mount on the inboard forward side of each seat, then welded fat spacers on the rear mounts to get it where it needs to be. Plus drilled a couple holes. All in all, not to difficult.

With regards to dash/instrument cluster, check out www.intellitronix.com. Similar deal to dakota digital, but much less expensive. Keep an eye on eBay...I bought my 6 gauges cluster for 180ish delivered. I seriously disliked the 72 cluster I had and wanted something different and clean.

FYI if you do something with a center console. The hump is NOT centered on the car. Ask me how I figured that out....LOL

Attachments

• IMG_2655.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_2803.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 352
  • 20160328_172149.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 345
I used seats from a 2003 Mercedes CLK 430. The key is to get seats from a 2 door, so they fold forward. I had to fab one mount on the inboard forward side of each seat, then welded fat spacers on the rear mounts to get it where it needs to be. Plus drilled a couple holes. All in all, not to difficult.

With regards to dash/instrument cluster, check out www.intellitronix.com. Similar deal to dakota digital, but much less expensive. Keep an eye on eBay...I bought my 6 gauges cluster for 180ish delivered. I seriously disliked the 72 cluster I had and wanted something different and clean.

FYI if you do something with a center console. The hump is NOT centered on the car. Ask me how I figured that out....LOL

Nice! Thanks for sharing that information and the pictures. Its awesome to see that others who "step outside of the box" when it comes to restoring cars.

All of this work Im doing to Licorice and one thing has me reserved and feeling guilty. And thats how my dad will react. He is BIG on original and when I first built my car (at age 16) she was all original. Now that Im using my money and not daddys money, I have changed a few things and only this forum knows. I chose to share on here because I want to show our work and tell people. But we want to keep our inner circle, friends and family, at bay. My car has been in my garage under lock and key for many many years, it wasn't till recently that my husband and I started working on it again. So literally, NO ONE KNOWS, and it feels crazy!

So guess what?! I found bucket seats!! All electric, heated (which in AZ you dont need) but they came out of a 2005 Jaguar. Its going to be some work, BUT, we are optimistic about it.

We picked the car up last night from the shop that was making custom mounts for it. Now its time to hide it and pull some stuff off to have (repainted).

Nice. I dig the 72s. I put a nasty 350 with TPI in my wife's 91 Camaro RS and it is beyond quick in that light car. You best get you some seats to hold your butt in place with the LS!

-
Back