72 duster Build progress

-
Looks great so far. I have a nice running 318 in my 72 Duster also. Gets along very nicely. Good luck with the rest of you resto!! God Bless!

Amazing to see the transformation ... keep photos coming ... Looks great!

Looks fantastic!! :cheers:

But...... what are you going to use for an upper rad hose? I see the upper rad nipple is on the passenger's side. All the smallblock's I've seen are on the driver's side.
I can't wait to see that bad boy fired up running free. :burnout:

Wylde1.

The hose will work out just like a factory set up (but flip flopped)

I may make a little support bracket off the front of the intake or something with an arm on it so the hose can rest on it and I will not have to worry about it coming in contact with the fan.

both the lower and upper hose are pretty straight shots so I shouldnt have much trouble getting those figured out.

Man. I thought I had commented on your 72 Duster but I guess I have not.
It is coming along Very Nicely. Appears I am about 6 months behind you in terms of man hours!! Keep up the great work.

Man. I thought I had commented on your 72 Duster but I guess I have not.
It is coming along Very Nicely. Appears I am about 6 months behind you in terms of man hours!! Keep up the great work.

THANKS.....I wouldl ike to say I have chip foose on the job and that it will be done in 7 days but that is not the case lol.

limited time and money can only take you so far....but I keep on pushing along little by little.

Looks great so far. I have a nice running 318 in my 72 Duster also. Gets along very nicely. Good luck with the rest of you resto!! God Bless!

Amazing to see the transformation ... keep photos coming ... Looks great!

Very nice cant wait to see the finished product:cheers:

Thanks guys I appreciate all the good reviews lol!

I am in the middle of bleeding the brakes off right now but there rears are being stubborn....I am thinking my proportioning valve may have a clog or something....I will update everyone when I figure it out

UPDATE....a little bummed out.

got my brake lines all bent where I want them,filled with fluid......bled the front brakes off with no problem.

went to bleed the rears and no fluid and no pedal drop.....so I started hunting to see if there was a block in the brake line " T " at the rear axle or if the proportioning valve was not working correctly and all checked out....so I finally took my line off at the master cylinder to find that there is no fluid coming from the master cylinder for the rear brakes ......I just bought this thing from the parts store and its junk.

so I will return it and use the one I KNOW works that I picked up off of ebay that came with the brake pushrod I installed on the duster.

so tomorrow I should have the brakes done.

Plus side is, I found that I have the kelsey hayes 4 piston front disc brakes. and not only do I have an 8 3/4 rear end with 4.10 sure grip BUT its the 742 case and it has all new Russel stainless steel braided brake lines all around and I just now noticed that my springs have been relocated inward about 4 inchs (always wondered why my duster was able to fit such a large tire) (275/60/15 and still about 4 inchs from the back of the tire to the leaf spring of clearance left!)....it has bfg g force T/A drag radials on it now but there kind of hit so when I go to buy tires i may bump out a bit wider on the tire yet.

DSCI1119.jpg

DSCI1112.jpg

DSCI1109.jpg

DSCI1105.jpg

DSCI1107.jpg

DSCI1114.jpg

DSCI1116.jpg

tossed in some pictures of the underside while I was at it lol My floors are rock solid other than some very MINOR surface flash rusting.....it came factory with 1/4" thick undercoating so it was pretty well protected.

Got my brakes all done yesterday!

got all the air out and the pedal feels like new....glad I decided to just go manual brakes rather than screw around with finding the power brake parts (would probably still be looking)...saved alot of money this way also.

I also went through with seem sealer and coated the seems in my floor pan and I coated the few patch's I had to weld in my drivers side front pan that i did last year.

makes for a great sound deadener also.

also my new stall converter showed up yesterday!

taking the trans to the car wash today to blast it so I can get it painted up and looking new and then I need to get a filter kit,pan bolts,bell bolts,dip stick,fluid and front and rear seals and I can install the trans.

getting closer!

I will get pictures today or tomorrow of some stuff!

what a nice surprise to find your leafs' already relocated.

coming right along. :cheers:

1st time checking your thread here Dude, you have done a thumbs up job thus far, I'm impressed with your progress.......

Roger

dang, dude. moovin' and a groovin' aye!!!!!!!!!!!!! looks really good. rock on dude!!!!!!

The engine compartment looks great! I like the way that rad fit, looks factory for sure. What's your plans with that now cleaned up underside? Sure looks nice enough to make it pretty.

Grant

dang, dude. moovin' and a groovin' aye!!!!!!!!!!!!! looks really good. rock on dude!!!!!!

For some reason FABO never alerted me of there being a couple comments on my thread......

anyhow lol.

Yup I have been going at it with a pretty steady pace.....but now the duster fund has been tapped lol so the spending spree is over lol (good news is that I bought everything I had intentions of buying for the portion of the project I wanted to tackle first) which was to get it running,moving and stopping under its own power and I think I got all that covered!.

after that area is done I will move onto the interior which shouldnt take long at all since I already have jsut about everything to finish it.....and then I will get back to the body work and hope to get it painted by july or august give or take.

The engine compartment looks great! I like the way that rad fit, looks factory for sure. What's your plans with that now cleaned up underside? Sure looks nice enough to make it pretty.

Grant

Yes it is very solid underneath.

as for making it pretty...... I won't go as far as chroming the underside out and giving it a base clear paint job but I will probably go over it with some wire brush's and make sure it is nice and clean and I will probably put some new undercoating on it to prevent any rust from forming and to hush any road noise in the interior of the duster.

and I will be painting all the suspension components nice new black to keep them fresh looking...I will also install and paint some subframe connectors and possibly some other goodies...who knows yet lol.

The goal is to get it running and driving and be a pretty much done car and then I will start thinking of different goodies to get for it.

thanks for the comments yall!

A bit of updating to do!.

A couple days ago I made al ist of some of the "final" parts needed to get the duster running and moving under its own power and I went to the parts store and had the guys behind the counter running into the back room for a good hour finding me the parts I needed lol.

I took some romax wiring and cut it to length and used it to bend into the shapes i wanted my radiator hoses to be and took them into the parts store and said " I needed hoses shaped like this, what can you do for me lol" sure enough we found upper and lower radiator hoses that will do the job just nicely!.

I also picked up my heater core hoses, my fuel line,my vacume lines, about 14ft of steel transmission line so I can run all new the route I want to run it , also got a new 10x16 I believe tranny cooler so it should stay plenty cool,picked up new transmission seals,transmission pan gasket and filter,trans fluid,trans mount,mopar oil filter,oil,coolant,radiator cap,accel performance ignition coil and a few other goodies.

I still have a few odds and ends left to get....some bell housing bolts,u-joints,a couple u-joint straps,mufflers,fuel filter,header bolts,tranny dipstick and a couple other little things.

Most of it I can probably get for under $100.00 and then I will see what I can do about finding a used trans dipstick and whatever else I can get ahold of for cheap or free.

I got a few pictures I took a couple days ago I will post to show a little progress but i need to take more pictures of what has been done in the last day or so....so stay tuned!

new cap
DSCI1153.jpg

new coil
DSCI1154.jpg

new TCI stall converter
DSCI1152.jpg

Freshly sealed,gasketed,filtered,mounted,painted 904 (was gone through by trans shop in 02 so I just freshened it up is all)
DSCI1148.jpg

P.S. I didnt take pictures of everything else because it was all in bags but as soon as I start installing the new stuff I will take pictures for everyone to see.

I have thousands of pictures of the duster build so far I assume......I want it to be a full documented build so I can look back at all the work I have wrapped up into making the car what it is/will be and not to mention I can make a heck of a show board for car shows that will show a good step by step transformation.

Looking good Dude =P~
One step at a time for me to

wow your kicking a$$ and taking names on this build:cheers: looks great, and thanks for the 411 on the paint prep on my scamp, if it turns out half as nice as your duster I'll be a happy happy man.

wow your kicking a$$ and taking names on this build:cheers: looks great, and thanks for the 411 on the paint prep on my scamp, if it turns out half as nice as your duster I'll be a happy happy man.

Thanks buddy, glad I could send some tips your way!

Looking good Dude =P~
One step at a time for me to

Even with as anxious as I am to see it done....I guess I would prefer to be on a budget.

Because having a budget draws the process of restoring the car out and makes for a longer lasting experience with more memories and gives a better sense of accomplishment when its all said and done.......versus having a ton of money and have the car restored from top to bottom in 2 weeks....where is the fun in that? lol

wow just saw this looking good

Why thank ya!

I have had the duster about a year and this build thread has been up a couple of months....it flys low under the radar lol alot of people mention that they never noticed it. I guess I should have added a flashier title or some cool icons next to the title LOL

-
Back