72 petty blue twister "BACKWARDS BUILD"

-

340plot

the bushy bush
Reaction score
ok, so, it is winter time, so all my plans for painting are done, until spring time. so i have decided that i can go no longer witout a old mopar. i have a 01 v-6 stratus, and wife has a 2000 jeep grand cherokee. it just does not cut it. now the stratus has the 3.0 mitsubishi eclipse engine in it, and it is fast. but nothing like the old timers.lol

i do not like to have a car painted with the engine and trans in the car, but i am getting too bored. so, i am going to build this car backwards.
i have the entire dash out to redo it. i put a wildwood hydraulic clutch kit on the car. it looks so perty:).

so, i woke up this morning with the notion to put my 340 and four speed in the car. also install the mini starter, dougs headers, and solid motor mounts.

I KNOW YOU GUYS DO NOT LIKE UNDER THE HOOD PAINTED BLACK, BUT I DRIVE MY CAR A MINUMUM OF 500 MILES A WEEK. I DO NOT PUT ANTIQUE TAGS ON THEM. I DRIVE AS LONG AS THERE IS NO SNOW ON THE GROUND. this also left the door open to painting the car black. i love the petty blue, and it is original to the car, but they atre badazz black.

so here is pics of engine going in, headers on.

i was very aggravated earlier, as i asked on here at what point do i put the headers on, and someone replied to put engine in first. so i went out and cursed, till i had to yank it back out, and put headers in firs, and bungee corded them up and out of the way. what a paint to have to do it twice. i should of waited for more than just one reply!

i will be done the dash later tonight, so stay tuned.

Attachments

• petty blue duster 001.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 1,110
  • petty blue duster 002.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 1,121
  • petty blue duster 003.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 1,107
  • petty blue duster 004.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 1,111
  • petty blue duster 005.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 1,114
so, it got dark out, so i covered up the engine, and decided to finish the dash, ans it is now installed. here some pics. i am hoping to get more of the engine/trans hooked up, and get ready for the cleanup of the floors and trunk

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 1,060
your gettin to be a pro at restoring those dashes that looks awesome

i find it very soothing, especially being cramped up in the house due to the weather

Sorry about earlier I thought you had the rad race oil pan on that 340. You can bungee them up that way. You have to get the motor in first with that pan

Looks good. My engine bay is black but since I only have $800 in my paint and prep I don't care to much. It's 99.9% rust free, it can be redone after I enjoy it for a few years. Good luck on the rest of your build.

well, i just got done cutting the floor for the 4-speed hump. i had the template from the scamp, and worked perfect. hooked up the wiring for the 4 speed reverse light. just waiting for the hump to get here from member here.

also, i got done installing the hydraulic clutch master cylinder. it was a pain, probably cause it was my first time using one. but i know it will be so easy next time around.
started to put wiring harness back in under the hood.

for the clutch setup, i had tremendous help from a member here, who took the time to help me, and i appreciate the kindness...... fstfish66.... you are the best!
here is some up to date shots

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 944
  • 005.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 950
  • 004.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 952
  • 003.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 939
  • 002.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 939
  • 001.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 949
Looks freakin real cool!
As far as doing a car the "wrong way", you could always set the whole car up now that the engine compartment is painted, and get it mechanically dialed in. If the car isn't painted by summer it will still be road worthy, and you can drive it like that until fall. Next winter you can blow it apart (the mock up and assy bugs will be done) and get it pretty.
I have a 69 Dart I've been driving all summer in primer. The interior is almost done, and it's mechanically on par, but the body isn't. I drove it all year with 4.56 gears and 28X9 M/T ET Drag slicks on it. Once fall came I started on the body. If it isn't ready for paint by April, guess what? It's going out in primer again this summer! LOL

Keep up the good work man, the car looks great from here.
Oh, do you think you can take a picture of the hydraulic clutch from under the car for me? I'm interested in how it actuates the clutch fork, brackets etc. I have to rethink my hyd clutch set up as I have no pedal free play and I worried about the release bearing burning up.

George

i am haveing problems with not knowing how the slave mounts to the clutch fork at the moment, so i will post pics whe it is completed underneath

For those of us that use our A bodies as daily drivers, this is normally the case. I know it is for me. I just had it down for a few weeks for a full suspension rebuild, and I have it back on the road. Going to pile up the parts for the interior and then take a weekend to sort it all out.

plans are to get it running in tip top shape, and driver it like i stole it! at least till spring, then pull it apart and repaint the car and all new interior

looking damn good sir motor looks alot like mine nice and simple

so, i have gotten yelled at for starting the car before i put a driveshaft or rear in it!. so the last two nights, i have done just that.

i have completed the cleanup of the floors in the car, installed the carpet, dash, buckets.

today i finished the rear, and THANKS TO MEMBER: barracudakid , i was able to get a correct driveshaft setup today. i put new universals, and it fit like a glove. got the rear all bolted in, now i just have to do the brake drum hardware.

NOW DO NOT TELL ME I HAVE TOO MANY COLORS GOING ON INSIDE THE CAR.LOL i cannot afford the blue seat cover for the front or back yet, but all in good time. at least the front and rear match.lmao

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 604
  • 002.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 579
  • 003.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 573
  • 004.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 612
  • 005.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 576
  • 006.jpg