72 Scamp... you know, looks like a Dart...

-

DJC

Reaction score
Hey all, been a lurker here for a while now. Had my 72 Scamp in the garage the whole time waiting patiently. This is what it looked like...
View attachment IMAG0153.jpg

Aaaand here we are now...

View attachment stripped.jpg

It's in the bodyshop now for stripping/paint. Not going full concourse, just a nice clean body with no parking lot or rust issues. Sticking with the vinyl roof, but moving to black, which I think will look good with the Aluminum Metallic paint I've chosen. Hood scoops coming for it too. I've got a neighbor with an old early 70's motorhome that has a running/driving 360/727 combo in it I can have for $500. I also have an 8 3/4 that I have to get narrowed, and I have 3 sets of gears for it, a 3.23 Suregrip (489 case) or two opens, 2.76 or 3.91. I'll probably ask many questions along the way, and I humbly appreciate any and all help you offer.

Thanks fer lookin'.

The only real rust repairs are the typical vinyl roof spots...
View attachment left roof rust.jpg
and
View attachment right roof rust.jpg

and there looks like there was a water leak of some sort on the passenger floor area, some rust through there. A couple minor pinholes on the roof skin. Other than that, it's pretty clean. Front and rear glass channels (? - where the windshield/rear glass seals mount) are all in good shape.

And I was amazed at how easily this car came apart. I didn't run into a single siezed or broken bolt. The only pain in the *** was getting the rear window regulators out (the wife heard my cursing at the other end of the house). All the trim came off cleanly. It's actually been alot of fun so far.:thumblef:

Thanks, guys. Ya, it is pretty clean. I learned my lesson with the one before this - an E body that `looked' good, but really wasn't underneath.
View attachment my_cuda.jpg
It was fun though, built up the big block that was shoe horned into it to 11:1 compression, MP Purple shaft, yada yada. Sure hated changing the plugs in it though.

Great looking Scamp, that looks just like my first mopar, 72 Scamp, same color, but white top. It was a 318, 904, 8-3/4 with 3:23's disk brakes and air, all factory.

Good luck with it, I would have stayed with original color combo, not to keep it factory correct, but because I love the look of it in that first picture.

Great looking Scamp, that looks just like my first mopar, 72 Scamp, same color, but white top. It was a 318, 904, 8-3/4 with 3:23's disk brakes and air, all factory.

Good luck with it, I would have stayed with original color combo, not to keep it factory correct, but because I love the look of it in that first picture.

yeah, actually, I like the original color too, but the wife hates it. And it's way easier to spend money when she feels she's involved in the process :D

Sweet! Another '72 Scamp! Looks better than the one I just stored down at my Dad's place. I'll be keeping an eye on this one too now :)

Very nice! If you need any parts, I'm just over on Vancouver Island and have a '73 Scamp parts car.

Is DJC your initials? My dad's initials were DJC.

Im surprised you took her apart, looks great!

Well, like I said, there was rust under the vinyl roof, and the interior was rough. Lots of scratches and poor touchups that don't show in the pictures. It could've stayed a driver I guess, but I've always wanted to do a complete build, and I ain't gettin any younger.

I gotta agree with some others, I love the brown on tan combo. im sure itll look awesome when your done, of course, but that color combo looks awesome! course, im biased since my uncles 73 Charger has the same combo!

I gotta agree with some others, I love the brown on tan combo. im sure itll look awesome when your done, of course, but that color combo looks awesome! course, im biased since my uncles 73 Charger has the same combo!

I totally agree, it does look good. I just don't care for light colored vinyl roof and the missus hates the brown.

-
Back