72' Twister Race Car

-

Juhosaphat

Reaction score
So a while back, a co-worker of mine at Les Schwab told me about a buddy of his that had this car sitting under a car port. It'd been there for years because the guys brother bought it, got drunk one night, tore it apart to blast/paint everything, and stopped at the blasting part. No paint, no re-assembly. That was 20+ years ago probably.

Fast forward to about six months ago, the guys buddy stops by the store to see him and he's not working. I remembered the car and asked him about it. It ended up being a 72' Duster/Twister. Full tube chassis car, narrowed D60 with all new Strange axles, Strange spool, and Richmond 5.52 gears. The guy who built it way back when apparently built about 8-10 cars the same way. The cage is over built and will most likely have to be modified as it's more of an open body type cage in a full body car.

It was being setup for coilover suspension in the front. It was setup for a Mustang II rack and pinion. Not very well (See the picture of the factory K-member modification to fit the rack and pinion, scary!) at that. It came with a good amount of tin pieces which I will use for stencils when re-doing the tin for the interior and the fire wall.

It came with a ridiculous amount of parts as well including:

One virgin 440 block
One virgin shortblock 440
One complete rotating assembly with factory forged crank, six pack rods, and unknown flattops
One set of 516 heads torn down with everything there, but rough shape
Two sets of factory rocker shafts and rockers, usable shape
One 727 trans core with rebuild kit and shift kit brand new in boxes
Edelbrock Torker manifold brand new in box with new in box valley pan
Custom header kit
All factory glass minus the front windshield
Demon front clip and factory Duster clip
Brand new Mustang II manual rack and pinion
A whole lot more that I know I'm forgetting.

The current plan is to assemble it and build a mild 440 to get it going down the track and get a feel for it while dialing the suspension in. Then a big dollar 543 build down the road. I will be sure to post as many pictures as I can as I update.

Today I hung the front fenders, installed the Duster clip so I can start getting measurements to fab up a core support as it did not come with it. I also test fitted the master cylinder bracket and master cylinder. I'm loosely assembling what I can so I can figure out where everything goes before blasting/painting all the smaller parts.

I got the passenger side trim and quarter window installed as well as the weatherstrip for that side. This thing is going to be quite a project, but it'll be completely badass once it's all done.

Twister1.jpg

Twister2.jpg

Twister3.jpg

Twister4.jpg

Twister5.jpg

Twister6.jpg

Twister7.jpg

Twister8.jpg

Twister9.jpg

Twister10.jpg

Twister11.jpg

Twister12.jpg

Twister13.jpg

Twister14.jpg

Twister15.jpg

Looks like you have your work cut out for you. Appears the car was in its way to becoming a serious machine. That k frame job is horrible though! What are you going to do with that? Even where the rack is, the geometry isn't right. Notice how much the arms are kicking backward. It may work but you'll lose turning radius.

cool find , just add $$$$$$$$$ and you got it . great starter , you have the luck keep it going .

Looks like you have your work cut out for you. Appears the car was in its way to becoming a serious machine. That k frame job is horrible though! What are you going to do with that? Even where the rack is, the geometry isn't right. Notice how much the arms are kicking backward. It may work but you'll lose turning radius.

It will be getting an aftermarket k-member down the road. Right now it is literally just to roll the car in and out of the garage as need be.

Considering it is a track car, turning radius is moot.
I don't know enough about cages to fill the front page of a pamphlet.

That cage and chassis needs to be redone IMO. I hope you got it super cheap.

I am a weekend warrior. I don't need it to cert. Most of my racing is an outlaw class anyway. There's no structural damage, just surface rust on the cage/chassis. The k-member is the worst piece and will be getting changed out before the car ever sees a track.

Thanks for your not so helpful comment on getting it super cheap though.

I am a weekend warrior. I don't need it to cert. Most of my racing is an outlaw class anyway. There's no structural damage, just surface rust on the cage/chassis. The k-member is the worst piece and will be getting changed out before the car ever sees a track.

Thanks for your not so helpful comment on getting it super cheap though.

Relax man, didn't mean it as an insult. I've had to redo shoddy chassis work on a couple different cars, so for that reason I'm a little outspoken on the subject. Can't see enough detail of the back half to comment on that, but that cage looks "interesting". Glad you're planning to change out the K, it's kinda scary looking like you mentioned.

Bottom line if you're happy with it, that's all that matters.

Relax man, didn't mean it as an insult. I've had to redo shoddy chassis work on a couple different cars, so for that reason I'm a little outspoken on the subject. Can't see enough detail of the back half to comment on that, but that cage looks "interesting". Glad you're planning to change out the K, it's kinda scary looking like you mentioned.

Bottom line if you're happy with it, that's all that matters.

I'm on a lot of forums and groups and see a lot of trash talk about peoples projects so I get a bit defensive around certain comments. No harm no foul.

Next time I'm in the garage I'll get some more pics of the four link setup. The k-member really does make the front end look worse than it is. It was a shoddy job modifying it to fit the rack and pinion. Looking at the rest of the car, I can't imagine the guy who built the car did the k-member too.

I'm on a lot of forums and groups and see a lot of trash talk about peoples projects so I get a bit defensive around certain comments. No harm no foul.

Next time I'm in the garage I'll get some more pics of the four link setup. The k-member really does make the front end look worse than it is. It was a shoddy job modifying it to fit the rack and pinion. Looking at the rest of the car, I can't imagine the guy who built the car did the k-member too.

Yep it's the internet. Take it all with a grain of salt. I've had my car trashed for certain things and that's ok. We're all different and like different aspects of cars and how they're built. I'm wondering if the previous owner cut up the K like that as a temporary thing until he could get a good aftermarket unit? Have to give him the benefit of the doubt. I can't imagine anyone who would build a cage like that would think that K member would be good to go. If there was an aftermarket K in the front, you're right. It would completely change the way we're viewing it. And it would totally make the car overall look more bada$$. But that K is just creating a bit of an illusion that the car is in worse shape than it really is. And Rumblefish is right. Turning radius won't matter for this car.

Yeah, once the wife allows funds to start going towards the Duster (Probably about 10 years from now lol), one of the first things is going to be the k member.

As stated, turning radius doesn't need to be sharp. This thing might see a little street time if there's ever a show near our house (There's an annual one here in Auburn, WA each year but last year they made it all pre-64' for some reason) but for the most part, it'll be a trailer queen for the track.

Got out and started putting a couple of ideas together for a core support. Well, atleast something to bolt the fenders too and then I'll focus on how to situate the radiator. Check out my MS Paint draft of what I'm thinking. The main piece that's going to bolt to the frame will be one piece and then to two brackets for the fenders to bolt to will be welded to the front of it. I figure that'll allow me to essentially assemble the front end so everything is lined up and then attach the brackets to the fenders, line them up against the frame bracket and then tack them in place once they're aligned.

It'll be cheap and easy and should be plenty sturdy once it's all together. The only cost will be the metal.

Unless of course I find a cheap core support before the wife starts letting me actually work on this thing. Then this whole idea goes out the window and I use a factory part lol
TwisterCS1.jpg
TwisterCS2.jpg
TwisterCS3.jpg
TwisterCS4.jpg
TwisterCS5.jpg
TwisterCSD1.png

I like it...... Something you can do if you want to gauge the quality of measurements in regards to the chassis work is put it in the air and remove the suspension so you can access the mounting points on the chassis. Put paper up the whole car or even use the floor and with a Plumb Bob mark the spots below the Chassis points. It will let you know what you really have to work with...

Good luck with this. Looks like fun...

JW

I like it...... Something you can do if you want to gauge the quality of measurements in regards to the chassis work is put it in the air and remove the suspension so you can access the mounting points on the chassis. Put paper up the whole car or even use the floor and with a Plumb Bob mark the spots below the Chassis points. It will let you know what you really have to work with...

Good luck with this. Looks like fun...

JW

I agree, make sure it's square before you design and build anything new. Would suck to spend time and money on all that, then find out it's twisted or bent.

Definitely not a bad idea. Especially considering I've got nothing but time and right now, no budget lol

Been a little while since I posted here. Haven't had much to say about the Duster I guess. Everything checked out with the plumb bob, so atleast I'm good to go from that stand point. Now trying to get an idea together for a tubular core support. There's a guy local that has a core support that's beat to crap, but he wants $300 for it. Do they really go for that much or is he smoking some good stuff?

I am going to start cleaning up the 727 and building it atleast since I've already got everything for that. Wife can't tell me not to when it doesn't cost anything :D

I would keep looking....My younger brother bought a decent, not perfect, core support at the Columbus Mopar swap meet last weekend.... $40
That was a good buy for him, .......three bills would make me take a pass.

well the good stuff costs more then , $300 bucks . but there is more than one thing high there . lol . have you the tools to build a tube type , well for 300 clams would could buy the tools to build tube stuff , sawall , beltsander , or hole saw and a drill press , and a tig or mig you must already have welder . just some tubing n plate to get . well i built this with a sawall n beltsander and a mig welder , still needs completion and i keep changing my mind . if your going racing that machine , you must be able to do the repairs yourself .
DSC03442.JPG

well the good stuff costs more then , $300 bucks . but there is more than one thing high there . lol . have you the tools to build a tube type , well for 300 clams would could buy the tools to build tube stuff , sawall , beltsander , or hole saw and a drill press , and a tig or mig you must already have welder . just some tubing n plate to get . well i built this with a sawall n beltsander and a mig welder , still needs completion and i keep changing my mind . if your going racing that machine , you must be able to do the repairs yourself . View attachment 1715023290

This particular core support wouldn't be considered 'good stuff' at all. It's rusted to hell and I'd basically just be using it as a stencil for the tubular core support I'd like to build. And yes, all of the repairs on all of my vehicles are done by me. I think even if I made a lot more money, I'd still do it all myself. I tend not to trust most shops.

As for tools, anything I don't have, I plan to purchase in the near future as the Duster is just the first vehicle I'm building stuff for. My Chevelle will eventually get a cage and maybe be back halfed too and I've got two Jeeps that will be getting some work done as well. So buying the tools now will only benefit me down the road.

thats great you like to build , just takes tools . and to maintain those projects . i build to a budget myself , parts are costly . so what i can i build . but i've got to pick the battles , build or buy . most of the time i'm a builder and buy used or someones cast
DSC04066.JPG
DSC03745.JPG
DSC04021.JPG
DSC03264.JPG
DSC03265.JPG
DSC03786.JPG
offs . and your right on the tube type core support , its just a few sticks n plate . i don't know why there 3 bills . this one is used stuff , just stuff laying around my place , swap meet castoff parts

You might try pinging whitepunkonnitro for a core support. He seems to have just about everything AND is a complete stand up guy.

So the core support the guy has is out of a 73' Duster. For the upper and lower, I've got him down to $150 for the pair. Still seems a little steep for me especially since it's basically going to be used for a guide to build the tubular support.

Maybe I should just start looking for a jig online since I'm a cheap *** when it comes to this stuff lol

-
Back