727 (340) TRANSMISSION REBUILD QUESTIONS THREAD

-
Dont be doing that! I wanna drive up there this summer and drool on it.
I got my own bib :lol:
I'm almost $800 CDN in for parts with OEM frictions and steels here in Canada. Heck, they want $250 for a Trans go TF-1 (glad we have Rock Auto). If I shop at a US Transmission supply chain, we get hammered for shipping and brokerage pretty heavily. If we US Postal service anything of value (over around $100) they hold it up at the border to tax asses it for who knows how long......almost ready to pull the pin on this restoration.

That's what's so good about using a forward lower pressure plate; just get one out of another TF. Why not have an American friend buy it and ship parts?

Theres a Red X for you! Lol. If you lived closer I would be more of a nuisance loitering at your place, but at least I would add entertainment lol :lol:
Lemme dig thru emails, I bought new neutral safety switches(one year only)from a transmission shop here in Onterrible.
Hell, I don't even have Canadian friends.:(

20230126_174526.jpg

Theres a Red X for you! Lol. If you lived closer I would be more of a nuisance loitering at your place, but at least I would add entertainment lol :lol:
Lemme dig thru emails, I bought new neutral safety switches(one year only)from a transmission shop here in Onterrible.

View attachment 1716039975
Thanks, you are always welcome here.:thumbsup:

Sorry so long to get back about this. The 4 clutch snap ring groove is .115" wide. As seen in the pics the depth is the same as the grooves for the steels. The bottom of the groove is 1.275" from the bottom surface shown.
Doug

20230131_160839.jpg

20230131_160737.jpg

20230131_160802.jpg

I don't think you can run a forward bottom pressure plate on top in a four clutch drum, just a 3 plate drum, but I don;t remember for sure, (I can't remember if that would interfere with the forward drum or not) cuz I started using the .061 Red Eagles in the direct drum; five in all of them; they go right in placed of the oem four but you need the forward plate to put five in the 3 plate drum.

Can new open ended sealing rings be used in a place that had interlocking rings? My kit comes with open ended rings for the output shaft, and with the originals, there was one open ended and 1 interlocking.

Is it safe to say that there are a total of 11 metal sealing rings in an OEM 727.......6 interlocking and 5 open ended?

Once this transmission is rebuilt, it will probably sit for a year or 2. I plan on filling it with ATF +4 before storage....... I have a brand new torque converter which is filled as well. Should the TC be stored attached to the trans or not?

Leaving the converter in the transmission will keep any dirt and critters from getting into the pump. Not knowing where you plan to store it (climate controlled, non-climate controlled inside, outside, etc), there would be no real benefit to storing an automatic transmission with fluid in it, and expensive atf+4 at that. The fluid will just sit in the pan and go bad over time.

Leaving the converter in the transmission will keep any dirt and critters from getting into the pump. Not knowing where you plan to store it (climate controlled, non-climate controlled inside, outside, etc), there would be no real benefit to storing an automatic transmission with fluid in it, and expensive atf+4 at that. The fluid will just sit in the pan and go bad over time.
Thanks Chris......So I should empty the converter as well? It's brand new, in the box, filled with new fluid.

-
Back