727 Fluid Type

-

jar84203

Reaction score
What is the correct fluid type for a '66 727? I thought I read somewhere that it was ATF but I'm not sure. Thanks.

Type F!?

I loaded my tranny with ATF+3.

I went by the reccomendations in the paper work for my converter and valve body, I think it was ATF 3 or maybe 4 IDK, the higher the number the better it is right? LOL

Good ole Dexron 3 works just fine. Type F (Ford stuff) was recommended for yrs. by B&M in their shift kits. I forget their reasoning but supposedly they thought it was better. It does provide a ever so slightly more solid shift but there's also disadvantages I've read. Sorry, it's been so long since I read about the properties I don't remember what the +'s and -'s were so for that reason i just use what Mopar recommends which is Dexron 3.

type f isnt as slippery so it shifts harder. you can even use john deere hydraulic fluid in them. its almost the same as b and m quikshift

ATF 3 or ATF 4 is hell on the seals and is not recommended. Stick with Dexron III.

Not sure where you heard that from C39, or if it's from personal experiance. The ATF+4 is synthetic fluid designed for the newer lock-up style transmissions, and will certainlly work in the 727/904, as well. ATF+3 is no longer available (discontinued).

Not sure where you heard that from C39, or if it's from personal experiance. The ATF+4 is synthetic fluid designed for the newer lock-up style transmissions, and will certainlly work in the 727/904, as well. ATF+3 is no longer available (discontinued).

I don't recall where I read that, but I am certain that i did not dream it. What is the point of using ATF+4 in a transmission not designed to use it? While I realize that many people open their wallet and gladly empty it whenever someone uses the word "synthetic", ATF-4 is half again more money than Dexron III.

Lock-up transmissions were introduced about 1978, long before the ATF fluid series was even proposed.

Now this will throw everyone for a loop! Dig this. In a 1965 Plymouth Manual that I have that covers all models including Belvedere Super Commando 426 Hemi it says, quote: Use only Automatic Transmission Fluid, AQ-ATF, Suffix "A" Part Number 1843314, (AQATF - 1470A), which is designed specially for Chrysler Corporation-built transmissions. No other fluids are recommended. Exceptions to this are the use of refined kerosene to aid starting in very cold weather and special dyes to aid in detecting fluid leaks. In addition, Transmission Sealer, Part Number 2298923, may be used in high mileage vehicles to correct minor seal leaks. If starting is difficult when the average temperature consistently ranges below -10 degree F., drain one and one-half pints of transmission fluid and replace with equal amount of refined kerosene. THIS SERVICE SHOULD ONLY BE PERFORMED ONCE DURING THE LOW TEMPERATURE SEASON. Thereafter, any replenishment should be with Automatic Transmission Fluid, AQ-ATF, Suffix "A". End Quote: In a 1962 to 1969MotorManual I have it has no fluid recommendations, it only says to use manufacture specified fluids. It does say to change it every 32,000 miles depending on the severity of driving, towing etc. One thing is for sure the Torque Flight is one of the best Auto's ever built, it usually will go for ever under normal conditions. It is a famed Automatic for it's early development of a no charge to the buyer for a three speed version of Automatic's. Wow! Kerosene, I don't think I will ever be putting it in my Transmission, but interesting, what ever gets it to go! I have always used Dexron lll. Now the Dexron/Mercon is what is best, regular or the high mileage stuff that Valvoline sells, they say it has all the best stuff in it, it seems to have the highest price too! Interesting stuff though, Dexron being Chrysler and Mercon being Ford now it's the mixture of both, scientific breakthrough I suppose????

Now this will throw everyone for a loop! Dig this. In a 1965 Plymouth Manual that I have that covers all models including Belvedere Super Commando 426 Hemi it says, quote: Use only Automatic Transmission Fluid, AQ-ATF, Suffix "A" Part Number 1843314, (AQATF - 1470A), which is designed specially for Chrysler Corporation-built transmissions. No other fluids are recommended. Exceptions to this are the use of refined kerosene to aid starting in very cold weather and special dyes to aid in detecting fluid leaks. In addition, Transmission Sealer, Part Number 2298923, may be used in high mileage vehicles to correct minor seal leaks. If starting is difficult when the average temperature consistently ranges below -10 degree F., drain one and one-half pints of transmission fluid and replace with equal amount of refined kerosene. THIS SERVICE SHOULD ONLY BE PERFORMED ONCE DURING THE LOW TEMPERATURE SEASON. Thereafter, any replenishment should be with Automatic Transmission Fluid, AQ-ATF, Suffix "A". End Quote: In a 1962 to 1969MotorManual I have it has no fluid recommendations, it only says to use manufacture specified fluids. It does say to change it every 32,000 miles depending on the severity of driving, towing etc. One thing is for sure the Torque Flight is one of the best Auto's ever built, it usually will go for ever under normal conditions. It is a famed Automatic for it's early development of a no charge to the buyer for a three speed version of Automatic's. Wow! Kerosene, I don't think I will ever be putting it in my Transmission, but interesting, what ever gets it to go! I have always used Dexron lll. Now the Dexron/Mercon is what is best, regular or the high mileage stuff that Valvoline sells, they say it has all the best stuff in it, it seems to have the highest price too! Interesting stuff though, Dexron being Chrysler and Mercon being Ford now it's the mixture of both, scientific breakthrough I suppose????
One of the other things I have found is the fluid level is suppose to be at the add mark Cold, and between the add and full mark Hot.

One of the other things I have found is the fluid level is suppose to be at the add mark Cold, and between the add and full mark Hot.
The best priced RTF Racing Transmission Fluid I could find is TCI RTF 18.95 for 1 gallon at Summit Racing part number TCI- 950601 or for 55.95 3 gallons part number TCI- 950600. They had many more Dexron/mercon fluids as well, but all priced very high, from Lucas to Redline, to Royal Purple, B&M, etc.

I have type F in mine all's good so far. I have heard of the engine oil trick but can't get myself to try it.

FWIW - My trans guru demanded I use Mopar 7176 ATF+3 oil and a pint of Lubeguard.

That`s interesting but I could understand what they mean about adding kerosene when the temperature is a consistent -10*, could you imagine how thick the trans fluid must be..........like molasses or even soft serve ice cream. :toothy10:

Also to consider is your application, are you running high compression with a high stall converter? Beefed up clutches, lower sun gears, manual valve body, etc. If so Performance Automotive Warehouse sells nice deep pans with cooling tubes and cooling fins. External filtering systems and nice trans coolers. This is a must with an extremely hot running transmission. And all you have to do is put a high stall in and it's a hot runner. And then the 32,000 mile fluid change changes to 10,000 miles sometimes even less. Also when installing a cooler don't bypass the radiator put the cooler in series with the radiator to add cooling not reverse it to even hotter!

-
Back