727 or 904 in a Early A body

-

65valiantwin

Reaction score
Hey guys, i'm relatively new and building a car with my dad. We've got a 4 spd setup that was planned to go into our 65 valiant (dart) but now we're kicking around the idea of putting an automatic in it. We have a rebuilt 727 out of a previous project, would this fit in without a lot of work? Or would a 904 fit better? If 904 for fit, what kind of mods would you guys suggest for it to work well behind a 415hp 408cu, not using for the strip, just some aggressive street driving!

Thanks in advance for your help,

You need to decide what method you will use to shift the trans.

the stock 65 set up took a floor mounted shifter and used cables to actuate the trans, not linkages. It was a one year only thing and the cables are getting harder to come by and the place that used to make them seems to be not doing that anymore.

You may want to get a linkage actuated trans and steering column or console set up.

There is also a converter snout difference. Stock early A's had the smaller one. I can't remember which year they went to the larger diameter, but I think 66 was the last year for the small diameter snout, and 67 was the first year. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that...

Decide which way you want to go, then find the proper parts to get it set up...

That's a pretty big motor for such a little car! And a itty-bitty cam to make just 415Hp. Ima thinkin she will be a terror, with freight-train torque.
Ima thinkin to keep the 4-speed and go 2.76s. First gear will get you into speeding territory in a heartbeat.And 65 will be about 2200Rs in direct. I'd love it.
35mph in second might be 2300, and in third it might be 1700rpm. With all the torque that beast will be making, I bet it wouldn't take but a little pedal, to rocket her to 65, from either starting point! And tire smoke is a sure thing.

But you asked about autos, so my vote is 904, 71 or newer,with a low-stall; like stockish, maybe 2400 at most.And a floor shifter. Because of the limited wheel size out back, you shouldn't need anything special in the tranny, but if you wanna spend some coin on it; a TF-II kit,a new over-running clutch, and HD friction materials should do it. TF-II is a semi-automatic deal.You install a few parts into your VB,drill a couple of holes and Voila! It still operates just like a stocker, but with crisper shifts, and you get to keep it in any gear til the lifters pump up!
If you do something about the small wheel wells back there, and start hooking,then a rethink is prudent.
I have never put a 727 into a 65. I had a 65 wagon with a 340-904, and from what I remember, it wasn't a tight fit.Still, I wouldn't want to speculate about sticking a 727 in there.

I read a couple of threads on here that the 727 required beating the seam below the firewall flush with a BFH and a few other clearance issues.

And heavier, and takes more fluid,and a bigger yoke, and sticks out further at the back,and did I mention it's heavier? And the older I get, the heavier they get...I suspect, in a few more years they will become too heavy for me to lift at all... :(

And heavier, and takes more fluid,and a bigger yoke, and sticks out further at the back,and did I mention it's heavier? And the older I get, the heavier they get...I suspect, in a few more years they will become too heavy for me to lift at all... :(

all so true! and ya also telling me the re ason I can't lift squat, can't hardly get up once down, trip over my own boots., don't remember nothin, etc etc etc... is cause I have finally reached OLD AGE!!!!!??????????????? LOL

-
Back