727 part throttle down shift questions ?

-

rustytoolss

Reaction score
I've got a 1964 727 (273v8) The only way to use kick down , is to go to full throttle. I know that at some point (year ???) mopar included the part throttle down shift in the 727's . What year was this done ?
Next question: Was the part throttle down shift changes all made into the valve body ONLY ? or was the case also different on the part throttle down shift system.
I would like to change over my 1964 727, to be able to have the part throttle down shift. But only if , all that I would need to do , would be to swap out the valve body.
Maybe someone can tell me if it can be done ?

66 and up had the part throttle kickdown added.
Problem is, I don't know for sure if it can be added to a 64 valve body.

Do you know if I could install a newer valve body into my 64 TF ?
I wish I knew that for sure for you, but it seems I remember there might have been a case change.
I'll bet Tracy would know. Member fishy68

I just took mine off and sold it on the auction for a member here because I changed to an 42RH OD, but I can tell you they are well worth whatever you have to do to get it.
If you can use a newer valve body it should have it on it.

I thought that PT KD valve started on V8s, in 71. I think the slanty got it a little earlier. The slanty valve can be retrofitted down to 67 for sure. After that I don't know. This I know; that any TF VB fits any TF case, down to 1967,at least.That is to say;I know it will physically bolt on. But I can't say what works with what.

There was a guy on FABO not to long ago, that was having issues with his tranny He had a late VB on his pre 67 case. I don't recall the issue but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a VB issue. Pretty sure, is not FOR SURE.

Last edited:
Doh, a year off apparently.
T flight Patty said he's closing up, but I haven't checked lately.

Doh, a year off apparently.
T flight Patty said he's closing up, but I haven't checked lately.

My Google-Fu says...

'71 was the first year for PTK in the V8 but it goes back to '67 on the 904 when used on the /6.

The early 904 version had no limit valve but the '71 and later V8 has the limit valve.

My vehicle is in my avatar, it's a 64 a100 273. But that does not mean my tranny is a 1964 (a100 used a special short case) A100's were built from 1964-1970. Is there a date code stamped on the case ? were is it ? Also my tranny has the single wire netural switch.

Pat "Torqueflight Patty" Blais, as mentioned, has been talking retirement for some time but if he's still kickin around he could give you definitive answers and provide you with the PTK valve. Nice guy to talk to and knows his stuff. Might try calling 206-365-1966.

I got the stamping numbers off the drivers side of the case (above trans pan) H2514487 2551570 Can anyone tell me the built date ?
A100's do not use a regular tranny. They have a short tailshaft/ the drive shaft bolts to the tranny yoke/ and they have a top mount on the tailshaft. And all trucks have 727's mines a 273.

Can anyone tell me the built date ?

Not an expert but here's what I came up with based on a 10,000 day calendar chart and the 4 digits after the ID number.

1/1/68 = code 2348
2551-2358 = 203
203 days after 1/1/68 (or day 204) = July 22, 1968
Day Numbers for 1968

The first page of this chart of ID numbers doesn't match your number but it's in the ballpark.
http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/transguide.pdf

Last edited:
-
Back