727 Recommended Type ATF?

-

Lee J

Reaction score
Guys I'm sure this has been discussed several times on this forum, but I thought I would see what your recommendations are. I have a 727 built by John Cope that has a converter with stall of approx 2800. Brand new trans never been ran. This is his super street build, so it is set up with a shift kit. I told John that this was going in a cruiser and will not be raced. He told me that the best fluid to use is dexron 2, although hard to find he has it available. Problem is having to pay shipping out to California on top of the cost for the fluid. This is going behind magnum 360 with eddy heads, mild build. Comp 268 XE cam, 650 edelbrock, 9.75 compression. Thanks for any input.

We use nothing but TCI in our race and street cars.

Kenny

I was told to always use "Type F" fluid in Mopars. Isn't the dexron used in GM cars and newer stuff?

Chrysler specified Dexron 2 after about mid-sixties. Type F (Ford) fluid has a friction additive that Dexron 2 doesn't have. Back in the day it was "shift kit in a bottle"...

I was told by two different trans builders to use type F. One guy is mainly a GM guy, but built my 727, the other guy only does Mopars.
So I've only used type F for the last 12 years in my car.

Dexron Vl or ATF+4
Both are synthetic fluids.
Dexron is what the factory put in our cars.
ATF+4 is the recommended Chrysler fluid for the new cars.
Your trans will shift smoother and run cooler with either of these fluids.
It's expensive fluid. Usually between $6-$7 a quart.
If you want to shorten the life of your trans,use Type F.

Just put Dexron Vl in my new trans.

Thanks guys! I really appreciate all the advice. I guess I've got it narrowed down to either ATF 3-4 or dexron 3-4. I love this site and the time people take to help. I'm sure type F would be fine for my application. I'm hoping that my trans won't shift to hard so maybe I don't need the "shift kit in a bottle" :) Thanks again!

Ive just used that Redline ATF. (for applications requiring dexron II) My trans shop highly recommended it. (I didn't purchase it from him) I guess it works. lol These old torqueflites can pretty much take anything...

We used and most still do Penzoil Hydrostatic Tractor Fluid for race trans, I guess its good enuff for street use too. After one full year of bracket racing the clutches look just like new so back in they go.

We use whatever the manufacturer says at the shop. Dextron in all the race cars. It worked 40 years ago and it still does.

walmart Type F in race cars for upteen years now.

-
Back