727 Tail shaft

-

powertrip340

Reaction score
Need help,got a tranny from a 78 van (727) to use as a core or rebuild.Was behind a 318 and planning to put in a 340 Duster 400 hp,3400lbs.Does the tail shaft need to be shortened?Just need a very reliable trans. not really for strip, work just need to eat a few stangs ..........if you get my point.Are the gears the same as in cars(ratio)?First time forum user!!!!!

The tails are all the same length unless it was a 4wd or some motorhomes from what I understand. However, the trucks used a stiffer tail housing, and the access port to get to the retaining clip is on the side of the housing. That tail housing will not fit an A body chassis. So you need the passenger car tailhousing, which may have been on your truck trans. I've seen that a few times too. If the steel plate with 2 large phillips head screws is in the bottom above the mount, you're fine. If it's on the pass side facing straight out the side, replace it. The mainshaft is the same..just the tail housing is different.

Moper, I could swear theres a long tail 727. Van use?

moper said:
The tails are all the same length unless it was a 4wd or some motorhomes from what I understand. However, the trucks used a stiffer tail housing, and the access port to get to the retaining clip is on the side of the housing. That tail housing will not fit an A body chassis. So you need the passenger car tailhousing, which may have been on your truck trans. I've seen that a few times too. If the steel plate with 2 large phillips head screws is in the bottom above the mount, you're fine. If it's on the pass side facing straight out the side, replace it. The mainshaft is the same..just the tail housing is different.
Moper
I beg to differ - I just installed a 727 that the core came from a truck with the side plate and had no problems installing it in my 68 Dart.
It had a bottom plate tail stock previously.
what do you think is the difference - other than the location of the plate for access to the snap ring?

powertrip340 said:
Need help,got a tranny from a 78 van (727) to use as a core or rebuild.Was behind a 318 and planning to put in a 340 Duster 400 hp,3400lbs.Does the tail shaft need to be shortened?Just need a very reliable trans. not really for strip, work just need to eat a few stangs ..........if you get my point.Are the gears the same as in cars(ratio)?First time forum user!!!!!
If you need a car tail stock for some reason - I have one - complete with new bushing and yoke seal.

Geeeeeeee! This forum stuff is great!
I guess I should mesure the 727 and get back to you guys with the plate location (just to be sure).What a great way to start out the YEAR....Thanks again and keep it coming! :thumbup:

there are short shaft 727s , i dont recall the year or application. i think they were van trannys but earlyer years. possibly A100s?

Don't forget that if you have or are going to install a console and floor shift you will need the tailshaft with the "ears" on the bottom so you can mount the L bracket.

388, I swapped one into a '73 Dart Sport, and it hit. That was mounted properly engine and trans. I could have beat the floor, but maybe earlier stuff has more room? I remember posting about it on MOPARTS a few years ago and I was told they "hit in all A bodies". I know it hit in my customer's car. I know there are "short tails" and "Long tails", and "motor home tails with brakes" and "truck long tails"...Never say "Never" with Mopars...

There are two different tail housings that are the most popular, one with a slip yoke ("long" housing) and one this a bolt on yoke ("short" housing) The "long" housing was use in trucks/vans that were short enough in wheelbase that a one piece driveline could be used and also cars. The "short" housing was used on long wheelbase trucks with multi-piece drivelines.

There are other housings available for industrial/motorhome chassis applications that had "E" brake mounts for a drum brake, but you don't see them very much.

All "long" housings are the same length. As stated earlier, there is a "long" heavy-duty housing but it is the same length as the standard duty.

Chuck

-
Back