727 to replace a 904

-

cudajim

cudajim
Reaction score
I am wondering if I can replace my stock 904 transmission with a 727. I've got a bone stock 69 Barracuda with a 318 engine and a tired 904 transmission. Are there any advantages or disadvantages? Will the linkage all fit?

Why not rebuild what you have? Torqueflites are simple!

If you do go with a 727, you'll need to have your driveshaft shortened and acquire a different torque converter. Some disadvantages would be that they are a little heavier and use more power to turn.

Why not rebuild what you have? Torqueflites are simple!

If you do go with a 727, you'll need to have your driveshaft shortened and acquire a different torque converter. Some disadvantages would be that they are a little heavier and use more power to turn.

I've never rebuilt one, wouldn't know how.

I agree with the others that rebuilding the 904 would be more cost effective and practical. As with any transmission, try to find someone reputable and that perhaps has some performance related experience. It's easy to build a little more durability into a 904, not that you need it for a stock 318. (i.e.: A mild shift kit to firm up the shifts.) Or look at it this way, you'll get better fuel mileage with 904 because it takes less power to turn! A new converter would probably be a good idea either way so do some research for a quality replacement. The right choice may help mileage a bit too!

The swap would also require a different slip yoke. 318s like the 904 plus if you find the low first gear setup it will really help it jump.

And.........you have a console shifter? Make sure if you get a 727 that it has the mounting holes on the bottom of the trans housing for the shifter bracket

From the above comments sounds like I'm better off sticking with the 904. I'm just looking for cheap & easy.

I've never rebuilt one, wouldn't know how.

All you need is one book. The ATSG Service Group for the 727-904. It shows how to build both. They are the simplest three speed transmissions ever in the world to build.

A Chimp could be trained to put one together and I am not kidding. They are that simple.

That said, in your position, I would keep the 904. As said, the 727 requires another converter and the drive shaft to be shortened.

The 904 takes way less HP to drive, resulting in more power to the ground. All the more important when working with a small engine like a 318. I would not steer you wrong. This is totally something you can do. If you can do an oil change, you can build a 904.

Rebuild it man. Get in there and make it happen! Everyone is right who has posted about dead nuts simplicity. It's certainly not worth swapping over. That's for damn sure.

Plus you get the pride of saying "Yeah, I rebuild that sucker".

To me that's got as much weight as saying "Yeah, it's got a hemi".

All you need is one book. The ATSG Service Group for the 727-904.

I don't know if I can find this now with the "software improvements"

1 Book by Carl Munroe on torqueflites

http://www.summitracing.com/search/...27-transmission-handbook/author/carl-h-munroe

2..Above mentioned, there' s a ?Russian? site you can download them free

Read this thread AND SEE POST 41

Free service manuals

Free service manuals

Auto trans stumper

3...Youtube videos on rebuilding a TF There is a series of 17 or 18 of these, and if you are computer savvy, you can download them and save them

4...THE FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL which you can download free from MyMopar. Several of those manuals were provided by some of the guys on here

MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - MyMopar Tools/Reference

There's good advice here. I witnessed this swap first hand on my buddies car. Stock 318 with AC. His 904 crapped out and he wanted to save some bucks so he swapped in a 727 his brother gave him. The car definitely lost some pep off the line and wasn't as fun to drive.

All you need is one book. The ATSG Service Group for the 727-904. It shows how to build both. They are the simplest three speed transmissions ever in the world to build.

A Chimp could be trained to put one together and I am not kidding. They are that simple.

That said, in your position, I would keep the 904. As said, the 727 requires another converter and the drive shaft to be shortened.

The 904 takes way less HP to drive, resulting in more power to the ground. All the more important when working with a small engine like a 318. I would not steer you wrong. This is totally something you can do. If you can do an oil change, you can build a 904.
I resemble that remark. I still know how to light a fire! lol
But I do agree. It's so simple, I never needed a manual. I'd be more afraid of a trip to the dentist............

As the others mentioned they are real simple to rebuild. When I was 17 I rebuilt one in high school auto mechanics without a manual and I had never done much mechanical work before that. And yes it did work when I was done

Agree with Fishy...did my first 727 when I was 19 and surprisingly it worked fine. Put a full Transgo kit in it. Also, I am pretty much north of 500 hp and run a 904 and happy as a clam with it.

I was going to attempt to rebuild a torqueflite until i read through some very confusing factory service manual that mentioned probably between 50 and 100 special tools that I never heard of! That scared me away forever.

I was going to attempt to rebuild a torqueflite until i read through some very confusing factory service manual that mentioned probably between 50 and 100 special tools that I never heard of! That scared me away forever.

You need ZERO special tools. Only thing that is required is a set of bushing drivers if changing them out.

Everything else can be hillbilly engineered.

Here's a kit that many use as a starter that is pretty complete
Transtar Super Deluxe Overhaul Kit for Chrysler TF6 (A904) 60-Up from Northern Auto Parts

See.....stuff like this makes me wonder....
I happen to have the 727...watched a couple youtube videos and they had special large snap ring tools...etc....

Jeff

the youtube video is ok...but I got a copy of the ATSG training video for 727 that will walk you thru the rebuilt of a 727...

free ...just send me your mailing address.......the 904 is very similar to the 727

the youtube video is ok...but I got a copy of the ATSG training video for 727 that will walk you thru the rebuilt of a 727...

free ...just send me your mailing address.......the 904 is very similar to the 727
PM sent
Thanks!!!

Jeff

See.....stuff like this makes me wonder....
I happen to have the 727...watched a couple youtube videos and they had special large snap ring tools...etc....

Jeff
I bought a set of those large snap ring pliers at the local tool shed for about $16. But their really not needed. The only time you use them is when popping the snap ring off the output bearing but I did it for yrs. with a couple large flat tip screwdrivers. The snap ring pliers just make it easier.

-
Back