727 trans won't seat-up on 440

-

blasphemous

Reaction score
I have an unknown make 3200rpm stall converter, flex plate from a '77 400bb and the engine is a '78 motor-home 440. I've seated and reseated the converter, but it sticks out too far. The bolt holes in the converter are roughly level with the mounting face of the bell-housing. So, if I put the trans up to the engine, there's about a 1/2" gap from the bell-housing and the engine. The converter and flex-plate will be touching though and I can't get it to close up the gap at all. Do I have a bad mix of parts, doing something wrong or just overlooking a small detail?

Are you sure the flex plate is facing the right way? the concave side should face the crank hub... Also, the conbertor has to be fully seated... Which means the convertor is tucked about 1" inside the bellhousing when it's seated all the way.

Are you sure the flex plate is facing the right way? the concave side should face the crank hub... Also, the conbertor has to be fully seated... Which means the convertor is tucked about 1" inside the bellhousing when it's seated all the way.
That must be what it is. I'm going to go outside and try and mess with it some more. I'll check the splines while I'm there too, just to make sure. I do know the flex-plate is facing the right way, the problem is with the TC seating all the way.

Ok, well I counted the splines first thing. I THINK that's where my problem is. It was hard to count the TC splines though. The trans is 27 on the big gear and 23 on the smaller. On the TC I got 27 on the larger set and 24 on the smaller one. The TC collar isn't engaging the two "tabs" inside the trans either (front pump?). Does that sound right on the spline counts?

Well, answered my own questions. Either the transmission wasn't original, or it's from a 78 and later. I also decoded my TC, it's a 17805 Turbo Action (24 spline) and the transmission is a 23 spline lockup model. It's always SOMETHING! *doh

Too bad I don't give up, I look it up. :read2:

Thanks for the help, I'm learning more than I'll ever need to know, but I can't stop it. :-D

Here's a little more to think about ... is the motor still cast crank and external balance ?

If so then you need an external balance convertor or a B+M external balance flexplate which allows you to use any neutral balance convertor that fits on the trans .

Here's a little more to think about ... is the motor still cast crank and external balance ?

If so then you need an external balance convertor or a B+M external balance flexplate which allows you to use any neutral balance convertor that fits on the trans .
The converter is (supposed to be) an external balance piece.

Make sure you spin the converter on spline untill it falls into trans - sometime I had issues where it did not line up might have to lift it up a little also to get it on outer shaft
I agree, should set back about a 1/2" from the front of the trans.

Ok, well I'm just sticking in the stock lock-up converter for now. Is there anything special I need to do install the lock-up converter and trans?

I remember once i spent hours upon hours beating stomping standing the tranny straight up and still couldnt get the converter to go in deep enpugh, finally after i called someone he told me to get a small screwdriver and wiggle and adjust the 2 pump lugs and then try to put the converter in and what do you know it went right in, you may want to try that if you havent already.

i bought a converter from the trans parts house and it was suppose to be a non-lockup for a regular 727 but when i got it and tried to use it it wouldnt work, i cant remember if it was a fit issue or if it didnt work but anyways i had to take it back and got tthe right one. make sure you have a lock-up transmission and a lock-up converter but dont try interchanging the 2.

i bought a converter from the trans parts house and it was suppose to be a non-lockup for a regular 727 but when i got it and tried to use it it wouldnt work, i cant remember if it was a fit issue or if it didnt work but anyways i had to take it back and got tthe right one. make sure you have a lock-up transmission and a lock-up converter but dont try interchanging the 2.

I totally agree. Sell your Turbo Action one on E-bay and buy another external balanced lock-up one from Turbo Action. They have them on sale for around $425.00.
:munky2:

Sometimes it is really hard to get the convertor to fall in the front pump..try standing the tranny in a upright position and gently tap on the conv...it worked for me...it can sometimes be hard to lift up on the conv and make it go in the pump.

I'm betting that's your problem. Try the stock converter and see if it goes into place. I've been told you can't switch em.

-
Back