727 valve body

-

Terry Markwart

Reaction score
Need help one more time.... my 68 car has a 81 727 in it with a reverse valve body, I want to go back to a regular valve body with a good shiftkit ( I don't mind changing ujoints every fall ). My question is can I use a valve body out of an older transmission or does it have to be from a 1981 trans. It could be hard to find a vb from one year..... thanks for responding inadvance
Screenshot_20220301-193939_Samsung Internet.jpg

The rmvb is usually made from 68-76 valve bodies. I highly doubt it’s any newer. Pull the pan and see what year the vb is. It will be where it juts out for the accumulator. Kim

Also I'm pretty sure they shared valve bodies with the 904 as well...
I've used several and installed several transgo two shift kits and been happy with them... I even installed a transgo 3 which is the same as a two but you have to shift it manually up and down. Which it sounds like you're trying to get rid of that... Nice ferm shifts on time but not banging... If installed correctly...

Turbo Action makes a pro street self shifting automatic valve body that I ran in my first dart.

The rmvb is usually made from 68-76 valve bodies. I highly doubt it’s any newer. Pull the pan and see what year the vb is. It will be where it juts out for the accumulator. Kim
I actually ran the serial number off the trans and it comes back as an 1981 dodge pickup/ramcharger. I read Cheeta MVB's are 1966 and up ( with non lock up)

Also I'm pretty sure they shared valve bodies with the 904 as well...
I've used several and installed several transgo two shift kits and been happy with them... I even installed a transgo 3 which is the same as a two but you have to shift it manually up and down. Which it sounds like you're trying to get rid of that... Nice ferm shifts on time but not banging... If installed correctly...

Im just trying to figure out what years of valve bodies will work in my transmission. Hoping i can find an older car in the scrap yard i can take the valve body out of

I would start with 78 up. But what I’m saying is there is differences in the cases and in the valve bodies. The valve bodies converted to reverse manual are generally up to 76. U won’t know for sure till u pull the pan. I will have a valve body if u end up needing one. Kim

Car, truck, van... Look for an 81...
This should probably go without saying but it's going to need to be completely disassembled and cleaned....
The great part about a transgo shift kit is it has the instructions for all that..

FWI
on the street;
my hi-torque, 11/1, 367 with a manual trans, and 3.55s,
has been unable to break the front 1350 joint or the rear hybrid 1350/7290 joint,
even with 295/50-15s; or occasionally running 325/50-15 BFG DRs
even splitting gears with the GVod,at WOT, with a CF clutch; and I am not gentle
She has been to 93mph in the Eighth; but 60fts at over 2.2 seconds, and I'm leaving it like that. Cuz, you know, nothing is breaking anymore, lol.......................

I like the TransGo-2 in my other car, cuz I can
shift it exactly like factory, or
still manually hold it in gear as long as I want to, or
start in any gear, just like a manual trans, and
downshift at any rpm, sometimes locking the rear wheels on closed-throttle deceleration. (it has skinnier tires on it.)

I like the 71 up VBs, with the PT downshift valve on it; but that valve can be retro-fitted back to 68VBs at least.
IIRC, somewhere in the mid to late 70s, they changed the trans circuitry in the case, and those cases need a matching VB....... IIRC

I would start with 78 up. But what I’m saying is there is differences in the cases and in the valve bodies. The valve bodies converted to reverse manual are generally up to 76. U won’t know for sure till u pull the pan. I will have a valve body if u end up needing one. Kim
Kim the valve body I am looking for is listed below... do you think you might have something that would work.. kindersley is a nice short drive... but not right now on these icy roads :)

Screenshot_20220307-195238_Samsung Internet.jpg

Here's some information on the part numbers shown in post 11.These are trade numbers from the transmission rebuilders association. You'll find them in many aftermarket transmission parts catalogs. Many of the numbers are casting or stamped numbers found on the parts. Companies like Transtar disassemble cores and sell the good used parts to transmission shops. The actual Chrysler valve body part number for PK4058395 is #4202633. This number was used on all non-lockup 727's from 1981 thru 1985. In 1986 thru 1989 the original number superseded to 4348763, which is interchangeable with the earlier number. So this means that the valve body from any truck from 1981 thru 1989 with a 727 non-lockup transmission can be used.

Here's some information on the part numbers shown in post 11.These are trade numbers from the transmission rebuilders association. You'll find them in many aftermarket transmission parts catalogs. Many of the numbers are casting or stamped numbers found on the parts. Companies like Transtar disassemble cores and sell the good used parts to transmission shops. The actual Chrysler valve body part number for PK4058395 is #4202633. This number was used on all non-lockup 727's from 1981 thru 1985. In 1986 thru 1989 the original number superseded to 4348763, which is interchangeable with the earlier number. So this means that the valve body from any truck from 1981 thru 1989 with a 727 non-lockup transmission can be used.
Thanks Towsend for the great information! This helps open up the field to finding a vb

Okay here's the real deal; the case changed along with the valve body somewhere around 71 , and there is a problem if the vb doesn't match the case. Later vb and cases have extended casting behind the acummulator right in front of the rear band servo. I think the break point in the PK number is around 36XXXXXX. Bigger numbers for later years. If it's a 3600000or higher, I find a wider direct drum bushing and journal along with a PTK part throttle kickdown; along with the aforementioned case and VB changes. I used to rebuild any trans/vb combination, but no longer. Usually it's a newer case with an older vb. I guess somebody robbed the vb long ago for the ptk. I tell them, sorry no can do; a different case or a different vb. So your vb will NOT have an aluminum tube on top of it connecting parts of the castings; cuz that's a lock up vb. And make sure the vb has the extension to match your case.

Okay here's the real deal; the case changed along with the valve body somewhere around 71 , and there is a problem if the vb doesn't match the case. Later vb and cases have extended casting behind the acummulator right in front of the rear band servo. I think the break point in the PK number is around 36XXXXXX. Bigger numbers for later years. If it's a 3600000or higher, I find a wider direct drum bushing and journal along with a PTK part throttle kickdown; along with the aforementioned case and VB changes. I used to rebuild any trans/vb combination, but no longer. Usually it's a newer case with an older vb. I guess somebody robbed the vb long ago for the ptk. I tell them, sorry no can do; a different case or a different vb. So your vb will NOT have an aluminum tube on top of it connecting parts of the castings; cuz that's a lock up vb. And make sure the vb has the extension to match your case.
Thanks Cuda for the lesson in VB,s... the tranny looks new with signs of new gaskets throughout, someone installed a Cheeta Reverse Valvebody in it and while I love the hard shifts I hate the manual reverse part of it (plus I hear they can fail a tranny real fast ), I know I will need a governor, valvebody accumulator and who knows what else!! I have the original vb the tranny came with put it's cracked on the shift cylinder. I appreciate all the help on this.. one of these years the 68 will be back on the road

Always look for the difference next to your big toe. go right; to that first large hole; then up two more holes; left of that hole is where you'll find the difference between pre-71 VBs and later ones. That is also where the difference in the cases is to be found. Right above that and to the left is the PTK casting; about 4" wide and 1" thick; as seen in this perspective.

-
Back