73' B3 340 Duster pro touring build

-
ohhh...they're sturdy.......not to mention solid

I did similiar tubs in my ride and they are solid as Sears...stronger than dirt....thanks for the idea Ross

Well I thought a quick sand blast and paint wouldn't take the entire day but again I was WRONG, anyway it's back to almost one color agan.... even though its primer grey, it's the right direction....

Attachments

• duster 001.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 1,600
  • duster 009.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 1,568
  • duster 008.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 1,610
  • duster 007.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 1,573
  • duster 006.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 1,620
  • duster 005.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 1,551
  • duster 004.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 1,574
  • duster 002.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 1,575
Thanks, I am doing something similar. Now I just need to try to figure out how sturdy the quarter panel is after the tubs are installed. You are seam sealing it to the quarter, correct?

Yes Sir, Seam sealer is the ticket for me but you could check with Hemi Mark I think he's going one step better and dropping a brace down to tie into the quarter panel lip like the factory for support.....

Nice work! I used some of that two part epoxy they used to bond door skins on in body shops. I'm not much for snake oil bonding but, I found it is holding between the inside of the rear fenders and the tubs. I would of prefered to weld but, I do not want to paint the car (right now) then I seal it up with seam sealer. I'm watching your project very close as we are close in stages. Thank you for all the pictures and advice. This is the best thread. Keep the pics coming. Much appreciated!

if you welded the 1/4 skin to the wheel tub...my fear is the sheetmetal skin would distort and be extremely difficult to get smooth without a bucket load of filler....but I'm not a trained bodyman either

sure looks better in all that candy apple primer.....just say'n

Wow that looks great. It is moving along real nicely, heck just the other day it was not painted (atleast the other day computer wise).

Anyways it is looking real good, I still really like your port hole reminds me of my Navy days.

don't you Navy guys call that a bulkhead?....I thought a porthole was a window to look out of....just wonderin'

wen I put wheel tubes in I use windshield urethane on the tub and quarter.but use some kind of glove like latex.I like it. it flexes is very watertite and it wont crack up..just trying to help....Artie

Not really, I just try to put the decent looking welds toward the camera for the photo's. Kind of like dirt swept under a rug, it's still there just not visible.....but thanks, any progress on the Demon ? :p I won't ask about the Dart, I know thats a hot subject. [-X

I wish I could weld half as good as you... The Dart....well.... don't ask! LOL.. the Demon is on hold until I finish the house..... but the media blaster is going to get the Demon....

Wow that looks great. It is moving along real nicely, heck just the other day it was not painted (atleast the other day computer wise).

Anyways it is looking real good, I still really like your port hole reminds me of my Navy days.

Thanks Timothy, After seeing your cowl and all the oval I added I am thinking about making another oval Port hole with a mesh screen to replace the factory slots, your right it was actually painted today (Sunday Oct 9th), and the flush marker lights and fuel cell were yesterday (Saturday Oct 8th). I try to keep in real time and no time delay...:thumrigh:

wen I put wheel tubes in I use windshield urethane on the tub and quarter.but use some kind of glove like latex.I like it. it flexes is very watertite and it wont crack up..just trying to help....Artie

Thanks Artie, actually I used windshield urethane on my Tubbed Road Runner and it worked out great, I say seam sealer but mean windshield urethane ..I guess I should be specific, in case anyone if following word for word I dont want to be the cause of someones screw-up.

Car is looking awesome. Are you going to be able to put in the stock rear seats?

Yes, the rear seat will fit with minor modifications (notches) to the back edge's. The seat has been stripped to the frame already and marked. Keeping the rear seat was a must have part of this build since the beginning, although seeing what HemiDenny did to his made me question my goal.

I'll make a note of your correction regarding the urethane/sealer mix-up....and remove one blackmark from your permanate record

First, I'll add my complements on your build and a great thread. I've enjoyed going through it and will benefit as I start my project.

I want to put in a lower rad support brace. XV is out of stock so I intend to build one. Would you mind giving me the dimensions of the box iron used?

Thanks
Arlie

First, I'll add my complements on your build and a great thread. I've enjoyed going through it and will benefit as I start my project.

I want to put in a lower rad support brace. XV is out of stock so I intend to build one. Would you mind giving me the dimensions of the box iron used?

Thanks
Arlie

Thanks Arlie,
As far as the radiator brace goes I believe its 2" square, I wont be around the car for a couple nights to get the exact dimentions if you search the brace several members have built them and they might be able to get you dimensions a little faster, I included a link to US car tool, they have a
brace also using round tube, but they're not a bargain....good luck and i'll try to get you the info ASAP

http://store.uscartool.com/

Hey thanks a bunch. I like how he welded that brace. I was going to cut 45 angles but his method is nicer.

Interesting stuff on that US Car Tools site. I'm fascinated finding out what's out there for A bodies.

I don't want to hijack this thread but will post a new thread on my project. I have a tough decision to make on which of my cars to use to make my Demon clone... a 73 Duster 340 4 speed that needs front clip (have it) or a 74 Dart Sport that needs a rear quarter... I know you guys will have some ideas.

I'll call the thread "Demon clone project" and post some pics.

Arlie

I'll be looking forward to the "Demon Clone project" thread....US Car Tool has some Awesome frame connectors also...lots of guys here seem to be running them including yours truley...

well It's been a couple weeks since I've posted anything here so I thought I'd drop a couple pics to show everyone I haven't been sitting around doing nothing, I finished off the trunk area with all the needed metal work, got the rearend housing and triangulated 4-link bars powder coated and the Wilwood brakes finally showed up. Did some waterjet work for the custom cowl but I'm waiting for the perforated steel to show up before I weld everything together ....pics to follow later on that. Hope you enjoy the updated pics.

Attachments

• duster 009.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 1,432
  • duster 008.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 1,404
  • duster 014.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 1,390
  • duster 006.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 1,396
  • duster 004.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 1,440
  • duster 007.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 1,602
  • duster 013.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 1,410
  • duster 002.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 1,393
  • duster 001.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 1,412
  • duster 010.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 1,407
don't you Navy guys call that a bulkhead?....I thought a porthole was a window to look out of....just wonderin'

I know late answer must have spaced out on that question sorry.
Yes the porthole is a window, but it is too small to be a knee knocker door (bulkhead door), those are the doors that latch.

And the car looks great I like the look of the tank I was going to go with a flat look but I was greedy and wanted more gas.

t-granger..
Thanks for clearing that up...i was just wondering

You can tell I was never in the Navy...cause (I don't think) there are no Hemi submarines....

-
Back