73' B3 340 Duster pro touring build

-
Yeah,when they start with that line,don't call us we'll call you know it's going to be a while. But you never know .
maybe he just wants to do a good job, doing it right, and you know all to well about that now don't you. Later.

I've seen these on a couple diffrent websites, they would definatley work as a bolt in replacement...but I want to fab my own entire dash face with the gauges incorporated into that and eliminate the radio and heater controls along the way. Something with fancy push buttons and switches to replace all the factory stuff in one shot. Thanks for passing the link along.

Okay, heres what I came up with for the functional fuel filler.....I had to change the tank filler angle, it originally came straight up with a slight bend now it lays down to tie in with the down tube which is Stainless steel but once everything is powder coated the same color no one but you reading this will know...they will be connected with a piece of 2" fuel hose. Still have to add the sending unit and weld the filler in place.

Attachments

• duster 011.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 1,450
  • duster 012.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 1,422
  • duster 013.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 1,450
Nice job on the filler tube, just finished mine, way too much effort for such a simple thing.

Nice job on the filler tube, just finished mine, way too much effort for such a simple thing.

I couldnt agree more.....I wanted to make it 1 piece but that wasn't happening. Stainless and Aluminum don't play well together when a welder is involved.

I couldnt agree more.....I wanted to make it 1 piece but that wasn't happening. Stainless and Aluminum don't play well together when a welder is involved.
Looking Good Ross! If you could weld Aluminum to SS you'd be the welding Gawd....lol. I think it's a good idea for a rubber coupler between the two to dampen out any "good vibrations" from attacking the weld points. My buddy was jacking around with my Sony camera while I was welding and I was very surprised how the camera handled the arc. Your project is looking great and I'm stealing some of your ideas.....:D
Best to you and yours in 2012 from Canada

Attachments

• DSC00004.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 1,409
See your back at it again, nice work is always.So what's next.

Oh, I got a few things cooking since I'm still waiting on bumpers (6 weeks now). Also now waiting on my doner steel hood to arrive now from Summit Racing, who knows how long that will take ...got to mock up the entire driveline/suspension for some (hush, hush) project thats in the works and also make a template for the rear steel spoiler. I think it is safe to say this care will definatley custom when its done.

Forgot to add......HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!!!!!!!! hope everyone had a safe and enjoyable New Years Eve. A special shout out to my YARS deployed military brothers in arms ...see ya soon.

Oh, I got a few things cooking since I'm still waiting on bumpers (6 weeks now). Also now waiting on my doner steel hood to arrive now from Summit Racing, who knows how long that will take ...got to mock up the entire driveline/suspension for some (hush, hush) project thats in the works and also make a template for the rear steel spoiler. I think it is safe to say this care will definatley custom when its done.

See i told you there doing a good job with those bumpers.So when is this (hush,hush) top secret going to be out of the bag.Later.

_________
Tim

See i told you there doing a good job with those bumpers.So when is this (hush,hush) top secret going to be out of the bag.Later.

_________
Tim

Best guess 6-8 weeks...depending on how fast parts get made and shipped......Oh, and money free's up!!!! how could I forget that important factor.

Not real exciting stuff this week, lots of things are well underway but waiting on lots of parts. I decided to add a support to the fuel tube so the weight wasn't all on the fuel door and quarter panel area, also made a backing plate with a couple studs to bolt everything together. After mocking up the dash I realized the steering column was mounted a little low (1.5") so I decided to cut one out on the waterjet and return the $80.00 one from Ididit, now it fits real nice and "factory" like. I promise theres a couple "WOW" things on the way, but don't hold your breath you might turn purple.

Attachments

• duster 017.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 1,282
  • duster 016.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 1,276
  • duster 022.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 1,295
  • duster 025.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 1,283
  • duster 023.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 1,270
  • duster 018.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 1,303
Wow. Thats all I can say, and I just skimmed through alot of this thread. You have some real talent working with metal. This car is going to be awesome. I was soo excited to get my car done and drive it...now I just want to let it sit and live vicariously through this thread! lol. In all seriousness, you have given me alot of ideas, answered alot of questions I had about panel replacement, and taught me alot, just by your pictures and descriptions!! Keep it coming!

Wow. Thats all I can say, and I just skimmed through alot of this thread. You have some real talent working with metal. This car is going to be awesome. I was soo excited to get my car done and drive it...now I just want to let it sit and live vicariously through this thread! lol. In all seriousness, you have given me alot of ideas, answered alot of questions I had about panel replacement, and taught me alot, just by your pictures and descriptions!! Keep it coming!

Wow, what a great complement! where's the rum! lets celebrate!!!
Looking great Ross..... :thumblef:

Nice work on the fuel tube, and the CNC bracket. What kind of metal did you use. Also on your filler tube did you weld or braze it. Either way it's a beautiful job.

Seconded. There's some threads where I think I can figure it out and there's threads like these where the skill level is so beyond where I'm at. Oh well, gotta start somewhere. At least you're giving us the bar to strive for!

Nice work on the fuel tube, and the CNC bracket. What kind of metal did you use. Also on your filler tube did you weld or braze it. Either way it's a beautiful job.

The long filler tube that come's from the filler door is 2" stainless steel.
The short tube from the tank is 2" 6061 Aluminum.
The CNC steering column bracket is 1" 6061 aluminum.
Everything is TIG welded, I still have to add another aluminum bung for the vent line and weld the filler to the cell.
Thanks

Ross,
I've been following your build. It's looking great.
What do you think of the fuel filler you're using? I was doing some research on the ones from Hagan and it seemed like most of the reviews I could find one them were negative. I couldn't find anything recent though. I need to decide what I'm going to use.
Thanks,
Jon

-
Back