73' B3 340 Duster pro touring build

-
165 pages... Go'damn!

All I guess I can say is..... it's a well documented build that people like to comment on. Although I did sneak my Dad' Dart build in that took up several posts a few years back, but at least it was still an "A" body filling the pages.

But you only have 5 weeks!

Nice thought, but...........it's not going to happen, I'm sure I'll find an idea or two at the Nats and have to incorporate them and that will push my completion date further toward next spring. I'm also curious to see how many of my Modifications have been "borrowed" and used on cars there.

The hood came back also....the bottom looks smoother and shiny this time...there are molded in Billet Aluminum reinforcements around the hood pins and rear scoop support.

drooling.....

:evil3: Sign here to transfer ownership for free please

I thought I'd post a few comparison pictures to show how I think the paint breaks up the overall bumper mass and look more proportioned to the car, of course the Black color helps also or maybe it's just me that thinks it looks different. Enjoy .

Attachments

• 0016.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 487
  • 00016.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 466
  • 023.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 485
  • 040.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 470
Those bumpers are what did it!. I knew I had seen that paint job somewhere before!

ATeam01-vi_zps4hxtinhy.jpg

since you say you won't be ready by the Nats, have you thought of trying to be "done" by beginning of March and entering in the Ridler Award competition? you should, at the very least, make the Great 8.... maybe even take the Ridler. i don't know what the restrictions are, but it would be worth lookin' into. i think you'd have a great shot at it, as i'm sure all the guys here do too.

since you say you won't be ready by the Nats, have you thought of trying to be "done" by beginning of March and entering in the Ridler Award competition? you should, at the very least, make the Great 8.... maybe even take the Ridler. i don't know what the restrictions are, but it would be worth lookin' into. i think you'd have a great shot at it, as i'm sure all the guys here do too.

I really appreciate those kind words of support....but I've seen some of those cars and don't feel I'm even close to that level of detail. My completion date should be around next spring so I can hit several cruise-in's, shows and hopefully get some track time in before the 2016 Nats.

Has anyone seen my Van Land catalog?

I've seen the light. I'm going to build a super cool Chevy van.

I hope my Mr. T starter set comes on UPS!

i don't know what the restrictions are, but it would be worth lookin' into.

This is often a sticking point:
"The vehicle must make its first public showing at the Detroit Autorama."
"No articles or stories with photos of the vehicle in finished form will be allowed until after the award has been presented."

Full text: http://www.mhraonline.org/ridlerguide.html

Ross does really good work, and given the right motivation and budget maybe he could make a run at something like this. Not knocking Ross - I see lots of details and touches he has done that are very cool and fit that theme. But, the cars that win that award are truly over the top, no expense spared, and built by people with more resources than just the cash. And even though these cars are supposed to be functional, they are compromised to make them look good. Ross has had to make aesthetic compromises so the car can run, drive, turn, stop and be relatively easy to work on. This is where show car and driver are at odds, you sometimes have to make choices for the sake of being practical. Practical and truly road worthy are not requirements for the Ridler award. These cars are built by teams of craftsmen. So imagine 5 guys like Ross working on a car for a year. I think it would be very cool indeed for Ross to go work at a place like that when he is done with his current gig fixing model airplanes for our rich uncle (another calling altogether). I used to work on our uncle's trucks, takes quite a commitment to stick it out for a career, definitely not the easy path.

Love the black sharkstooth and holes in the front bumper, but I'm not sure about the silver on top of the bumper. Nice

This is often a sticking point:
"The vehicle must make its first public showing at the Detroit Autorama."
"No articles or stories with photos of the vehicle in finished form will be allowed until after the award has been presented."

Full text: http://www.mhraonline.org/ridlerguide.html

Ross does really good work, and given the right motivation and budget maybe he could make a run at something like this. Not knocking Ross - I see lots of details and touches he has done that are very cool and fit that theme. But, the cars that win that award are truly over the top, no expense spared, and built by people with more resources than just the cash. And even though these cars are supposed to be functional, they are compromised to make them look good. Ross has had to make aesthetic compromises so the car can run, drive, turn, stop and be relatively easy to work on. This is where show car and driver are at odds, you sometimes have to make choices for the sake of being practical. Practical and truly road worthy are not requirements for the Ridler award. These cars are built by teams of craftsmen. So imagine 5 guys like Ross working on a car for a year. I think it would be very cool indeed for Ross to go work at a place like that when he is done with his current gig fixing model airplanes for our rich uncle (another calling altogether). I used to work on our uncle's trucks, takes quite a commitment to stick it out for a career, definitely not the easy path.

I couldn't agree more...although I'm trying to build something truly unique, it's not even close to being in that league.

Here's a few pictures of yesterdays progress. Dropped it on the ground to check the stance...need to adjust the coil-overs some to dial it in, but you get the idea. I also started assembling the front bumper and the valve covers are in work getting the same paint treatment as the body and should be done tomorrow.

Attachments

• 027.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 380
  • 039.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 375
  • 035.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 385
  • 030.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 381
  • 023.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 373
  • 019.jpg