73' B3 340 Duster pro touring build

-
Confused...are you or aren't you bringing the duster?

NO we are bring my Dad's Dart that has Tom Hoovers personal 371 Stroked Six Pack he built to perform at Chrysler Performance Clinics back in the day....Sorry for the confusion. See picture below

Ross you could just roll it out of the car trailer as is and we'd still be drooling over it :)

I could, but..... I want everything to be as nice and complete as possible before the debut. Besides I think it will be wearing new shoes for the grand Ball next year !

Attachments

• dart%20031.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 1,007
  • dart%20018.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 967
no we are bring my dad's dart that has tom hoovers personal 371 stroked six pack he built to perform at chrysler performance clinics back in the day....sorry for the confusion. See picture below

i could, but..... I want everything to be as nice and complete as possible before the debut. Besides i think it will be wearing new shoes for the grand ball next year !

nice!

But I do have to ask, as beautiful as this car is, are you gonna actually race it?

But I do have to ask, as beautiful as this car is, are you gonna actually race it?
I will say it will not be a Race car but it will see track time to make sure everything is dialed in and working properly in case I get tested on the street .....

I will say it will not be a Race car but it will see track time to make sure everything is dialed in and working properly in case I get tested on the street .....
Sweet, I have a feeling mine's gonna end up being the same way. Though I have no where near the same skills as you

I recently tried to contact the guy I sold it to up in Calgary Alberta, Canada to see if he wanted to sell it back to me....Still haven't heard back.

That's 90 miles south of my place. Weird thing is I've seen a sweet power wagon like that listed for sale a couple months ago on kijiji(similar to craigslist)
I will have to have a closer look if I see the ad again.

I had a question about the engine in the Dart. If, as the article in Mopar Action states, the block that that engine is built from is, in fact, a 360, how is that a "stroked" engine? I would see it as simply a .060" over bored 360 with a stock stroke crank. Is that not true ?

I had a question about the engine in the Dart. If, as the article in Mopar Action states, the block that that engine is built from is, in fact, a 360, how is that a "stroked" engine? I would see it as simply a .060" over bored 360 with a stock stroke crank. Is that not true ?

No that is not the way to achieve a stroker 371 ...if you read the inside scoop, next to the magazine article it explains how he achieved it. Basically it has 340 Pistons, 355 nascar rods and a specific sonic checked 360 block with max wall thickness, all parts were factory Chrysler off the shelf.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 878
I really love that power wagon! Do you still have it?

No , but I recently tried to contact the guy I sold it to in Canada to see if he would to sell it back to me. It won Best lifted truck at 2004 Summit Racings Truckfest and also 1st place at the 2005 Mopar Nats.

Yes, I understand all that, but pistons and rods don't change the stroke of the engine. Only a change in center to center distance between the mains and rod journals can do that.

Yes, I understand all that, but pistons and rods don't change the stroke of the engine. Only a change in center to center distance between the mains and rod journals can do that.

wonder if he offset ground it or used different rod lengths?

wonder if he offset ground it or used different rod lengths?

Well the article does state that to achieve the 371 it was due to boring of the cylinders, although 355 C.I Nascar Connecting Rods were used in conjunction with 340 pistons so I'm not sure if the wrist pin location is the same on a 340 piston compared to a 360 piston. I will have to go back and read the 1976 Popular Hot Rodding issue that covered the engine build in detail but I thought they referred to the motor as a poor man's Stroker...maybe that's where the "Stroker" word got added into all this and Mopar Action just used it to. So from now on I guess I'll drop the word "Stroker" and just say "It's Tom Hoovers Original 371 Six Pack engine....either way, "Stroker" or not, it is a unique piece of Mopar history.
Thanks Marshalearp for addressing this subject, I hate to give out false or inaccurate information. :eek:ops:

Here's a picture I took of my Dad between his Tom Hoover's 371 Six pack powered Dart and Mr. Hoovers hemi Coronet.

Attachments

• 00001.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 889
Here's a picture I took of my Dad between his Tom Hoover's 371 Six pack powered Dart and Mr. Hoovers hemi Coronet.

And Dave doesn't even have a "cup" in his hand! Outstanding weekend and BTW, beautiful Dart. Thanks for letting me lay under the trunk area for a few!

I know you wouldn't give out misleading information intentionally, Ross. The question was not designed to cause distress in any way. The real reason for my interest is as follows:
Back when Hoover was talking about building a "poor man's stroker motor" as he called it, one of his buddies/lieutenants, (I think it was Ted Spehar, but it's too long ago to really remember) said that they were going for a 371 inch motor based on a 340 block. The block they were planning to use had cleaned up perfectly at .020 over, which rendered a 4.060" bore. They were then planning to cut .200" from the mains on a carefully selected 360 crank which would yield a 2.450" journal size and therefore would drop into the 340 block. They were planning to use .060" over 360 pistons which would, of course, have the correct compression/pin height when used with a stock length 6.123" LA rod. Sure enough, a couple of years later I saw an article with Hoover and his '68 notchback Barracuda running low 12s/high 11s with a "stroker 371" LA motor. Cool. Saw nothing much more of the car or engine until the article in Mopar Action where it was stated that the engine was built on a 360 block! That really got my attention. At first I wondered if it was just a misprint/mistake which was the actual reason for the question to you. I now wonder if perhaps they built the 340 based engine and suffered a cracked or broken crankshaft, and then later found one of the elusive "thick wall" early 360 castings and built a second (and much more reliable) combination for the car, and simply didn't advertise the fact that the first engine failed. Who knows ? I'm not at the track all the time anymore, (and neither are any of those guys-even the ones who are still kicking)so I don't have anyway of finding out. Anyway, there is no question that you possess a very significant piece of history there, in that engine. Tom was one cool and very down to earth guy; and a real hardcore performance nut, that is for sure.

I might have referred to Dave's 371 Hoover motor as a stroker somewhere along the line,
assuming that an overbored 340 could not attain the 371 cu in displacement.

You're right, of course, in that a 340 cannot achieve 371 cubic inches by an overbore, but increasing the stroke from 3.31" (stock stroke) to 3.58" (360 stock stroke) yields 371 c.i. with only a .020" overbore.

I now wonder if perhaps they built the 340 based engine and suffered a cracked or broken crankshaft, and then later found one of the elusive "thick wall" early 360 castings and built a second (and much more reliable) combination for the car, and simply didn't advertise the fact that the first engine failed. Who knows ? I'm not at the track all the time anymore, (and neither are any of those guys-even the ones who are still kicking)so I don't have anyway of finding out. Anyway, there is no question that you possess a very significant piece of history there, in that engine. Tom was one cool and very down to earth guy; and a real hardcore performance nut, that is for sure.

It would be easy to tell by looking at the casting numbers on the block. It will either say 340 or 360, correct?

Door panels looking good. Waiting for the next install.
Any word from Calgary? I lived there a couple years.
I also have a 76 ex-military power wagon in its original camo sitting out back if you are interested :)

-
Back