73 duster dash

-

duster731

young gun
Reaction score
My duster was originally green I'm slowly converting it to black and Orange and I was wondering how hard is it to remove the dash to prep and paint it any info would help thanks...

There are 5 bolts attaching the dash to the cowl. They are installed from the top down and hidden under the windshield gasket. You can cut them and the U nuts from underneath but it aint easy. Then there's one bolt behind each kick panel and may be one nut on a stud at brake pedal support.

Lots of people paint them in place, and that is what I plan to do.

So would I need to sand it down first or just clean it the paint it if I where to keep it in place

Oh, I'm not the one to ask on that. My pad is already off, and I'll pull the cluster and drop the column. I think a good cleaning, scuffing it with scotchbrite, and then a wipe down with lacquer thinner should suffice. Then there is a trick to getting the textured finish, playing with the air pressure in the gun.

Oh, I'm not the one to ask on that. My pad is already off, and I'll pull the cluster and drop the column. I think a good cleaning, scuffing it with scotchbrite, and then a wipe down with lacquer thinner should suffice. Then there is a trick to getting the textured finish, playing with the air pressure in the gun.

I'm leaning towards just painting it in the car and I started to take so.e stuff off and I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how to remove the pad cap

I removed the basics from the dash like the glove box door and cluster and and the a/c vents scuffed the green paint with a scuff pad then shot with satin black no prime came out GREAT

Attachments

• 100_0721 (2).jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 222
  • 100_0723.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 201
  • 100_0725.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 212
  • 100_0729.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 197
in my pics u can see the holes at the front of the dash theres 5 nuts up top then two screw in the elbows of the pad if that makes sense

in my pics u can see the holes at the front of the dash theres 5 nuts up top then two screw in the elbows of the pad if that makes sense

Would u get those screws or bolts or whatever they are? From the top or underneath

The only way to get to them is from underneath. The 5 nuts across the top are 3/8 the two screws on the sides are 5/16. Its much easier to get to them if you take the glove box liner and instrument cluster out first.

-
Back