74 Challenger, is it worth it?

-
I've owned a ton of E-bodies never really cared for the '72-'74. I like the Cuda '72-'74 much better,however it's really what floats your boat. I do really like that deep Sherwood Green,always have. That car still needs a bunch of work. I really don't see it being worth the asking price. If I really wanted it which I don't I wouldn't pay past 17k.
Good luck. I think theirs better rides out their.

I am trying to find a color chart for that year. I like the green but I do not think it was the original color that year. Unless my computer is a few shades off. ANd I could be wrong. I had a 74 challenger in the color green of my dart here. But that is a funky green.

I am trying to find a color chart for that year. I like the green but I do not think it was the original color that year. Unless my computer is a few shades off. ANd I could be wrong. I had a 74 challenger in the color green of my dart here. But that is a funky green.

More than one green in '74, see chart below. Green doesn't seem to present very correctly a lot of the time. Don't know if it just doesn't photograph well or it's the computer settings.
Dallas

Attachments

• 1974chip.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 261
I agree with 2 darts. Of the cars discussed here, the yellow '74 seems to be the nicest, especially if you care about originality. It just looks right everywhere you look, especially under the hood.

The '70 could potentially bring some good money down the road but it's going to need a bunch of detailing. Looks like they spray bombed everything in the engine compartment with flat black, all that stuff needs detailed. I'd definately want to look at it in person, and very carefully, no telling what else it needs. Could be a diamond in the rough though.
Dallas

The flip top fuel cap looks terrible on that car. I think it is overpriced.

Is it not the correct flip top? The more I look at it, the more things I see, you guys know your stuff, you all have some good eyes, better than mine lol

Something just doesn't look right. Personally, I like the recessed caps that are body color better since ir keeps the body lines in tact.

It's the correct flip top. It looks like one of the reproductions, but it's the right one. I have one just like it on my Challenger. I don't think they look any more/less out of place on the Challengers than they do on the Chargers or Barracuda's. Heck I even put one on my Duster.

More than one green in '74, see chart below. Green doesn't seem to present very correctly a lot of the time. Don't know if it just doesn't photograph well or it's the computer settings.
Dallas

Thank you, I think it is my computer but I can't say I remember seeing that shade. The other 2 yes but not that one. I love that shade by the way.

huh? so really how can a frizzed up base/ clear job actually LOOOK like the original color?? guess I've seen too many new off the showroom floor cars???
funny to me. when I first started with these old mopars, you couldn't GIVE away a 72 up e body, period! LOL
what ever floats ya boat.... buy an e body , restore it,( or take it apart).. and you will understand why Ma Mopar admitted these cars were way under enginnneered, poor design, poor quality..... yes they are sexy lookin.... just me.....

Yeah - that's a dealer and the car's way overpriced. It's a car that never weas, the bodywork is one color and shiney - but not an original color and not done very well. The engine was bought and dropped in with no history. The interior is butt ugly. The dash must not function given the aftermarket gages, and the corner woodgrain is a different part than the cluster - it's been peiced together and not restored. The exhaust looks ugly - the tips are placed out too far and not angled the same. The bumpers are cheap repros - you can see where the bolts deformed them when they were bolted down. The power brakes are not factory - not even a Mopar product (aftermarket kit). Basically - it's a $15K car or less IMO. I'd question the quality of the bodywork too. It's not very flat or well done which makes it look like a lot of filler was used.

Thank you all for your honest opinions, I do appreciate it, as when I do go to buy a car, I need to know what to look for and what questions to ask.

I want a car, that most of the work has been done, rebuilt engine/Trans, interior, decent body and paint. Doesnt' need to be a show car, but a head turner would be nice.
No drag racing at the strip, well, maybe take it once to see what she can do, but not a regular drag racer, just want a nice weekend cruiser, even a stocker would be OK with me, and take to local shows for fun, meets, etc.
Get to know some like minded folks, like you guys here on FABO!!

Of course, I love most any old car, but am partial to the Dodge Dart, or Dart Swinger/ sport/Duster.
For a Dart, I want one from 66-72, with a 318 or larger V8 auto or manual, doesn't matter really.
On the Dart sport or Duster, preferably a 340 or larger, it doesn't need to be a true H car, but that would be nice too but I notice those can get pricey for an original H coded car.

I just wanted to keep my options open across the MOPAR spectrum of cars, and I am still learning as I go. I used to have a 69 Dart with a 318 2bbl back in the late 80's, I really loved that car, and made a huge mistake selling it, and I regret it to this day.

Seems like most old Chargers, especially the 68-71 are really expensive for a decent one, same with Challengers, as I notice the price drops on all after the 71 models on those cars. Cudas are nice too, I like most any year of those from 64 up to 71, as is the Coronet/Roadrunner/Satellite from 68-70 very cool car too, just my personal choices for now.
But I am sticking with the Dart as my first old MOPAR choice, just something about that body style of the Dart that I love. A old Charger would be nice, but I don't think I have the patience to save that much money, that would take too long lol...all the nice ones I see are well over 30K, fixer uppers for 10-15K, that need work beyond my capabilities.

Overall, I just want a nice cruiser, that will have a little get up and go, sound nice, and be put together well, not some mis-mash frankenstein that will fall apart one me at my first cruise lol, so with all your help I think I can obtain what I am looking for. Again, I am in the research stage, not ready to buy at this point, it's going to be a good 12-16 months before I can seriously start looking.

I say look at a small block A body. a's are afford, light, well made compacts. ( o k some had a little too small ball joints)... a 318 car would be plenty fun, affordale ( more so than 340 car), can get good gas mileage if done right, a's are small enough to fit in parkin spot, chose which years body style fits your taste. if you an " investment" car, put your $ into original 69 runner, 70 cuda, but ya better be wise about that and know what your doing...... just me....

I say look at a small block A body. a's are afford, light, well made compacts. ( o k some had a little too small ball joints)... a 318 car would be plenty fun, affordale ( more so than 340 car), can get good gas mileage if done right, a's are small enough to fit in parkin spot, chose which years body style fits your taste. if you an " investment" car, put your $ into original 69 runner, 70 cuda, but ya better be wise about that and know what your doing...... just me....

Yeah, thats why I am leaning more towards an A body 318 car from 68-72, mostly because it seems the most affordable to me, and more affordable to maintain. Why is a 340 more expensive? Just the gas? I am not too worried about the gas part of it.

Ugly *** year too....

This still blows my mind. The '72 Challengers were only cosmetically different by 3 things- grille, sidemarkers, and tail lights. '73 and '74 got the bumper offset and 5mph blocks. Much less different from the earlier cars than the 73+ A bodies, by far. The A-bodies had all of that AND totally different hoods, completely different bumpers, BEAKS for the Dodge's. And, most people can't even tell the difference. In fact, I'd say the large majority can't tell, given the number of people that come up to me when I'm driving my Challenger and tell me they really like my Charger. :banghead:

Don't get me wrong, I think the the '71 E-bodies are the best looking, but its really splitting hairs. I like the later tail lights better in fact, on the Challenger and the 'Cuda's.

hey i've had a bunch ( as in many) e bodies, and I agree like I said, sexy lookin cars. and your right, the 72-4 cars are really just cosmetically different. I quit foolin with e bodies in early 90's. I got tired of the hard to find over priced parts for them. I had a few ( as in 1 or2 out of maybe 15) that did not rattle going down the road. but sexy cars for sure... back then, no one ( as in NOONE) bought a 72-4 e body, as in NOONE bought any a body that wasn't a original big block or at least a 340 car. things have changed for the BETTER in my humble opinion. more people now buy, restore, drive cars for their pleasure and enjoyment rather than thinkin, what will my car bring if I decide I want something different and what is considered "the" car to have....
we all have our prejudices.... I know e body guys that would NOT own any a body if ya gave it to them... LOL some duster guys that would NOT have a 72 if ya gave it to them, gotta be a 70 or maybe 71....
I say buy and work on what trips your trigger and don't worry who else cares....all these old cars had their own unique good and bad qualities..... kinda like us people< LOL
I buy the car YOU like, fix it the way you want and can afford ( pray the wife blesses off on the whole venture)..drive it, its a car not a holy grail...... take care of it but realize it will show wear, tear, and age sooner or later.
develop friendships in the car hobby that will last you a lifetime, and make memories you can tell the grandkids about!!??????

Forget going to the grocery store in it.
Unless all you are buying is bread.
Before you settle for a 74 E body, spend the money on a 68 or 69 fish.

340's are factory. high performance engines. yes a 318 or 360 can be built to run as fast or faster than stock 340. also realize that a 340 that came out in a say 70 car versus the later 72 340, there was a difference in compression, horsepower, desirability.
supply: 340 are much harder to find than 273, 318, 360. and then too, find a 340 that hasn't already been bored over and woreout from that rebuild!!???
I agree with the guy thas just said, go with a 68-9 cuda!!
and agree with the ones that said, that challenger is butt ugly and overpriced..... just my overpriced opinion...

I don't mind the later E-Bodies - but I really, really hate green interiors with a passion. Before I bought my Duster I was looking for a big block 73 Charger SE (I like that body style, what can I say?) and almost every damn one I saw advertised was green over green. Yuck! One was an almost mint looking (from the photos) low mileage 440. But I wouldn't have been caught dead in it. WTF were they thinking back then?

I do concur with the others on this car. Keep looking.

Steve

340's are factory. high performance engines. yes a 318 or 360 can be built to run as fast or faster than stock 340. also realize that a 340 that came out in a say 70 car versus the later 72 340, there was a difference in compression, horsepower, desirability.
supply: 340 are much harder to find than 273, 318, 360. and then too, find a 340 that hasn't already been bored over and woreout from that rebuild!!???
I agree with the guy thas just said, go with a 68-9 cuda!!
and agree with the ones that said, that challenger is butt ugly and overpriced..... just my overpriced opinion...

Well, that is good to know, I was really wanting a 340 car, but I do see most of them have been bored over...with that said, I do like the 318 allot, and I used to have a 360 in my Ram 1500 and that was a great engine. I also didn't know about the compression thing on the later engines...see...I am learning!! Thanks for those tips!
And I have seen a few 68-69 Cuda's that are really nice, they are growing on me...and most of the ones I see seem to be priced reasonably.

When it comes time to buy, hopefully I can find a decent car for sale here on FABO from a known and respected member, this way I know what I will be getting:thumleft:

I really like it. I've grown fond of the years and models that you don't see that often. I love the interior :)

This car just sold at the Mecum Auction here in Anaheim California this past weekend, and I got to see the car up close and personal...all I can say is ALLOT of GREEN!!
The car looks way better in person than the pictures. But there is still too much GREEN! lol

The dealer had it listed on their site for $21995
http://www.pacificmotorcars.com/veh...-door-coupe-6f091a1a3c628046bfac600964afbd72/
It went to the block, and did not sell, bidding stopped cold at 17k.
It went to the bid goes on...and then it sold for 18k
https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail.cfm?lot_id=AN1114-197329
You wont be able to see the sold price unless you log it to the Mecum site.
Just if anyone was curious.

Also a very nice 1975 Plymouth Duster 340 replica car, in red, sold for $9750, I saw it also in person, it was super clean, very nice car, a good price if you don't count the 8% Mecum charges as a buyers fee.

-
Back