74 Dart Swinger Carb

-

Flat Rate

Reaction score
Rebuilt what was most likely the original Holley carb on the car. Ran fine for a while, but now the car either won't start unless I shoot some starting fluid in it or it wants to die out if I do get it running. Do I rebuild the carb again, get a new OEM, or ???

Check and make sure the fuel pump is suppling enough fuel from the tank to the carb.
Could have a small pin hole in the line from the tank, or a bad pump, or a bad fuel pump lobe on the cam. Could be as simple as the short rubber line at the sender unit. I have found all of these issues on early Mopars.

Check and make sure the fuel pump is suppling enough fuel from the tank to the carb.
Could have a small pin hole in the line from the tank, or a bad pump, or a bad fuel pump lobe on the cam. Could be as simple as the short rubber line at the sender unit. I have found all of these issues on early Mopars.
Thank u Charlie. Wud b great if it was a small and simple fix!

Rebuilt what was most likely the original Holley carb on the car. Ran fine for a while, but now the car either won't start unless I shoot some starting fluid in it or it wants to die out if I do get it running. Do I rebuild the carb again, get a new OEM, or ???
Cold start? Sounds like a choke problem. We need more info.

I'll second the choke issue. Years ago my Dart was hard to start. Bimetal choke spring was shot.

Slant-6 carburetor operation and repair manuals and links to training movies and carb repair/modification threads are posted here for free download. Also find tune-up parts and technique suggestions in this post.

So tempting just to get a new one and move on…
the amazon china copy BBD ones are super cheap and remarkably okay. i've had pretty good luck with them right out of the box.

i'd still check your fuel supply and system for any other underlying problems as well.

Last edited:
…aren't a thing, last time I looked (the day before yesterday). Chinese-knockoff BBD 2-barrels, yes, but not BBS 1-barrels.
thank you for the correction, i had a brain fart. i've edited my post accordingly.

-
Back