'74 Duster suspension suggestions

-

qwk dust

Reaction score
Hello, New to A bodies so I have some questions on the suspension set ups you folks are running.
We just bought a '74 318 Duster with an auto and are trying to decide on the suspension set up. It will mostly be a weekend driver however it will see the track fairly often. We want it to really perform well in the 1/4 and believe it or not intend to build the little 318 since it is a numbers matching car. (shooting for close to 400hp)
First of all for the rear. SS springs both left side ones to keep the rear end look even? How bad is the lean with both 002 and 003 springs? I noticed there are also coil springs back there. What are they for? I don't see where anybody replaces them. They look pretty shot as well. Finally for the rear, what good launching shocks?
Now to the front. I don't see many talking about drag shocks on the front. Is that what we should run even though it will be street driven or are 90/10s just too much? What shocks are suggested for a good launch and ride? Thanks!!

qwk dust, welcome aboard. I don't have any racing experience but I have seen the coil spring shocks, they are there to raise up the rear due to sagging leafs just like air shocks, but the problem is that the shock mounts are not designed to take the weight of the car an will eventually rip out of the trunk. With that said, I would go with the XHD springs and forget about biased leafs, after all we're not talking 750+HP, and you are more likely to have wheel spin issues than transferring so much weight that it rolls the car that bad.

BTW where in ORL are you? I'm about 5 min from the track at 50 and 408

S/S or XHD springs and smaller T-bars with normal street shocks will do very well. The drag shocks make street driving a little crappy for some.

Thanks for the suggestions. So you guys think those coils are not original equipment? Everything else on this car looks pretty darn original. Even the leaf springs looks original and saggy. I just didn't know they used coils and leafs.
The competition engineering adjustable shocks look pretty good. Anybody with experience with them.
Player1up, I live out on Lake Mary Jane near Moss park which is near the airport. I get out your way to Speedworld a few times a year. Usually I am running my yellow Z06 corvette (11.50s with a darn 2.0 60' at 128mph...someday I will get it to hook and get a 10#). Our goal for the duster is a 12 sec # on a 318. My nephew and I are going to try to set it up and do most of the work ourselves. Thanks!

-
Back