'74 Swinger brake lights issues!!!!!

-

GermzD74

Cool Member
Reaction score
Hello, I've just bought my first muscle car (always wanted one) a '74 Dart Swinger. I'v been working on little things on the car untill I have the funds to do other fun work. (My knowledge is not too professional with my car)

My first problem is with the brake light solonoid wires. I put in a new solonoid and for some reason I got spaked on the metal solonoid detainer/thing =P I plan on replacing the wiring harness but for now I want to fix this. I do no get sparks on the wired any more so the brake lights dont flash. What do i need to do? Its not the fuses because I replaced them and are working fine. Did I burn the wires nd if so how do I fix this??

!!!ALSO!!!
My left brake light will not flash/blink when I put the turn singal, the right side will though, whats the cause of that? wires? How can i fix this?

THANK YOUUUU!!!

By the way Im 18 and new to this awsome hobby, I always wanted a hobby like this so please if you would, please help me if you have an Idea of what the problems to these minor issues are, thanks.

Well since no one knows or wants to help then I guess I'll try my best to do it myself and if that doesnt work, I'll be heading over to TIJUANA, MEXICO they can do lots of cheap miracles unlike down at SOCAL USA haha

Check all of your bulbs first, then check the flasher unit itself. When you activate the turn signal arm you should be able to hear the flasher unit clicking. If not, that is probably where your problem starts.

Well all my rear bulbs were replaced with new ones, the right stop light works and flashes too when i put the turn signal, the left bulb works but does not flash and I do hear the clicking sound on the flashing unit.

I put the emergency lights to work but only the front lights flash.

I would pull the lens off and look at the socket. You indicated that it illuminates, but does not flash, providing it is the correct bulb, if memory serves it is an 1157, assure that the larger of the two internal elements is illuminating and not the smaller of the two. If it is the smaller, get a short jumper wire and touch the metal frame of the socket and run it to a known good ground and see if this makes a difference. While you're at it, pull the bulb and make sure the contacts are not corroded off, sometimes wiggling the bulb in the socket will reveal a poor connection. Give it a try and see if it gets you anywhere.

check grounds on front bulbs . that is what was wrong with my 1970 buy the way welcome to the site :thumbup:

GermzD74 said:
By the way Im 18 and new to this awsome hobby, I always wanted a hobby like this so please if you would, please help me if you have an Idea of what the problems to these minor issues are, thanks.
Give us a littel time And I am sure some one will help . :thumbup:
You sound like a ambuisus Young man with a great hobby. =D>

Good to see the Young'ens are on the rite track oldvart:drinkers:

lawndart360 said:
I would pull the lens off and look at the socket. You indicated that it illuminates, but does not flash, providing it is the correct bulb, if memory serves it is an 1157, assure that the larger of the two internal elements is illuminating and not the smaller of the two. If it is the smaller, get a short jumper wire and touch the metal frame of the socket and run it to a known good ground and see if this makes a difference. While you're at it, pull the bulb and make sure the contacts are not corroded off, sometimes wiggling the bulb in the socket will reveal a poor connection. Give it a try and see if it gets you anywhere.

Aaaahh! I will give it a shot and see what's the oucome, hopefully to my advantage ;) Well thanks alot lawndart360 and sheets55 I will try both ideas and hopefully I can fix this HUGE problem my self, specially the brake light wires not having elecricity runing in them, I know Ive scared a few drivers on the freeway who are behind me haha they dont know when im stopping, and CA driving is packed.

Mr Mike I was in a little hurry since I was about to go to my dad's house and hes the one with the tools, everytime I want to work on somethin i have to drive aaaallll the way down to his spot haha! But it sure is nice being welcomed by my senior mopar forum friends hehe. Im sure your and the rest of you guy's experiense will be a great help to my restoration!!!

Ah a youngin like myself haha. All of them are correct and never forget a test light when working on electric, cause it can help in so many ways. Welcome to the sight man and enjoy. Take it slow and easy on the old guys cause well, they are old and sometimes forget haha (no offense).

Dont forget the chat room, lots of fun and intelligent things are brought up in there as long as RPM isnt in there haha.

If I remember correctly the brake wiring circuit is routed through the turn signal switch in the steering column. Your problem may be arced contacts in the turn signal switch. I found this on a 72 dart one time, 74 Dart may be the same.....

You may need to take the housings off and clean them and even run a ground wire from the mounting bolt to a ground else where. The park and tail lights ground through the housing. So it may just be coroded enough over the years to not set a good enough ground.

Oh! Check for pinched/crimped/broken/grounded/bare wires from front to back!
That also means under the carpet and rear seat.

(Sometimes replies take a bit. Sit back and have a drink, relax. I know how you feel.)

SAH WEEET! More info haha I have'nt taken time to fix this since I haven't really driven the car...Ive been busy with other family matters first =/ But ummm we'll see what the problem is...today when i came back i found out my new battery wouldnt turn the car on!!! Another problem there! Something somewhere is draining the power out of the battery lol I'll post this problem in abother post. Thanks everyone!!! :toothy7:

-
Back