$75 to calibrate a torque wrench?

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
Holy crap...bought a used Snap On torque wrench off of FleaBay. It is,not the kind where you rotate the handle to set it, it has a knob on the side...anyway when I got it it was turned up to 175 ft.lbs. Stumbled onto a Snap On truck...he told me $75 to calibrate...plus shipping...Ouch...he did tell me that this type of torque wrench generally doesn't get out of whack by leaving it turned up...still want to make sure...but holy hell...

They can get out of whack if you leave them set for along time with tension on the spring. I hook 2 torque wrenches together with a funny looking socket and if both torque wrench click at the same torque and the same time it is within specs and your good to go and it's a cheap test worse comes to worse your could weld to cheap sockets together

Yep, that's the going rate. If I send one in to MAC or drop one off at the local Gauging company they run $50-75 depending on what model, repairs needed, or whether it needs certified. And you're correct, The Precision Instruments wrenches don't require that you zero them for storage.

They can get out of whack if you leave them set for along time with tension on the spring. I hook 2 torque wrenches together with a funny looking socket and if both torque wrench click at the same torque and the same time it is within specs and your good to go and it's a cheap test worse comes to worse your could weld to cheap sockets together
That is a neat idea! That would at least tell you if there in the ball park.

If your working aerospace, get it calibrated and buy the cert. If your wrenching cars, couple it parallel and opposite a beam type torque wrench and set it to 100, pull the 2 down over your bench vise flat and have someone look at the beam and note when it clicks. There you go. There is a nut at the bottom of a clicker that can be turned against a very stiff spring that alters the click tension. Look up even cheap torque wrenches, most are pretty accurate, like +-5% at 100.

>>>HF has these for like $29 now...

If your working aerospace, get it calibrated and buy the cert. If your wrenching cars, couple it parallel and opposite a beam type torque wrench and set it to 100, pull the 2 down over your bench vise flat and have someone look at the beam and note when it clicks. There you go. There is a nut at the bottom of a clicker that can be turned against a very stiff spring that alters the click tension. Look up even cheap torque wrenches, most are pretty accurate, like +-5% at 100.
Micrometer style only. The Precision instruments wrenches operate with a tuning fork design and have no tension spring.

yes, that's why I said clicker as there are a few styles out there.

Those particular torque wrenches are not required to be turned down. Leaving them set at the last torque rating they were used on does not affect them one iota. Not one.

That said......and not trying to be a smartass........how much is that same Snap On torque wrench new? That would make a calibration seem a little more worth it.

Those particular torque wrenches are not required to be turned down. Leaving them set at the last torque rating they were used on does not affect them one iota. Not one.

That said......and not trying to be a smartass........how much is that same Snap On torque wrench new? That would make a calibration seem a little more worth it.

Not my brand but I agree 100%

yes, that's why I said clicker as there are a few styles out there.
Yes you did. Many of the click type wrench adjustments are leaded in and a older wrench may be well worn inside. The spring, the torque rod, and the breakaway block and socket can all be worn. It may be accurate at lower torque but a long way off from half way to it's upper limits.

Outside the box....If you happen to be close to a locknut mfg., stop in and ask them about calibrating. They may just have the calibration equipment required and be willing to help.

Send it to CDI they make them for snap on usually 25 or so.

cditorque.com
While in the air force I ran the Avionics shop and we had to calibrate the dam things every 90 days. 100's of them usually.

Send it to CDI they make them for snap on usually 25 or so.
wow, that sounds like a bargain. I could drive mine up. its only about 30 minutes from here. I have a crazy Snap-On 3/8 drive without a ratchet head.

cditorque.com
While in the air force I ran the Avionics shop and we had to calibrate the dam things every 90 days. 100's of them usually.
Thank you. I have another clicker type torque wrench. The rotate the handle type..have never left it cranked up. Torqued a lug nut on my truck, Snap On one clicked as it was busting loose so it is probably pretty close. I will contact CDI about,sending it in, want to make sure. Thanks again...

your talking about the beam style torque wrench with the knob on the side. It is rectangular? Does not require to be zeroed.
Yes they do require calibration but not as often as the micrometer style. (screwing handle to adjust). Sorry, I just thought about what you said. Yes by design, The Precision wrenches (flip lever and adjust) don't have to be zeroed after using. They don't use a spring inside to adjust torque.

Last edited:
WoW. I had an old Snap On 1/2 inch "Dial" type torque wrench, given to me a couple of months ago. Caught the local Snap On dealer truck at a local shop, last week. Asked him about getting it checked. He had a "tester" bolted to the wall of his truck. Put the wrench on it, pulled, and compared the digital readout to the dial reading on the wrench. It was within a couple of pounds throughout the range. Did not charge anything, for checking it.

How about the 1/2" Snap On digital tech wrench torque wrenches?
I just inherited one, not a cheap tool, was wondering about accuracy, no idea how old it is , or it's history. Fired it up for the first time today, but no set value available to verify accuracy.

How about the 1/2" Snap On digital tech wrench torque wrenches?
I just inherited one, not a cheap tool, was wondering about accuracy, no idea how old it is , or it's history. Fired it up for the first time today, but no set value available to verify accuracy.
Those probably need to be sent into Snappy for calibration and that charge would be from $75- $100 . Compared to the click style wrenches, the charge to calibrate should be similar The Electronic wrenches are advertised as "very accurate to within a 10th. of a foot/lb."

click style wrenches are not accurate and are not really worth calibrating IMHO. The reason is they only tell you a minimum torque was applied and not the true torque on the fastener. The click wrench is also going to depend on how you the individual pulls the wrench for the release. I would say see if someone around you has a external transducer and pull the wrench on a joint with the transducer in the middle. This will give you an idea of where the wrench is at. For home use and car use that is good enough. If you were doing something like air craft mechanics or something that you require to be dead nuts accurate then there are better solutions. For me I use to take my click wrench into my works calibration lab and verify torque every once in a while and it was never far off but I would never pay for a calibration that can be so easily changed by human control.

FWIW I just used Angle Repair in West Virginia to repair an S-K 3/8 drive torque wrench.
They were listed as a repair/recalibration service and still were in business.
It also happens to be one of those listed by CDI (see link in Halifaxhop's post)
Hardest part was making up packing box to ship. Shipping cost more than the repair. They fixed it and only charged me for recalibrating. Total, including shipping both ways, was roughly $55.
Well worth it to me.
I liked that wrench and even though I bought a digital to replace it, wanted a click type to take to the autocrosses and as backup.

-
Back