750 vs 850 vs 950 Holley

-
Once again, the case for bigger is better is blown out of the water yet again.

So true, Rumblefish.
Remember the days EVERYTHING was seat of the pants? and the only gig around was The Carb Shop, and you couldn't afford it.. ? :) lol
You literally had to find publications with a hint of scientific value, just to glean one sentence of any importance.

The carburetors are bigger than each other in successive order. That's the difference.

The carburetors are bigger than each other in successive order. That's the difference.

Yep no real surprises. They flow more as the diameters get larger. Just wanted to satisfy my curiosity as to what the differences would be on the bench. Gonna hit the track this Friday and see what the 1.45 body carb can do.

Yep no real surprises. They flow more as the diameters get larger. Just wanted to satisfy my curiosity as to what the differences would be on the bench. Gonna hit the track this Friday and see what the 1.45 body carb can do.

Ever get to the track to test ?

Car doesn't 60 ft as well with the 1.45 carb. MPH is just slightly better. Probably going back to the 1.375 body.

Car doesn't 60 ft as well with the 1.45 carb. MPH is just slightly better. Probably going back to the 1.375 body.

Thanks. You're confirming a problem I'm having with my main body too. (1.450)

I have a healthy, all iron 440 in my super heavy (5300lb. with me aboard) '76 Gran Fury station wagon, that I was running a 4781 Holley 850DP on. I thought maybe it could stand some more airflow, so I bought a ProForm 950HP center section to try on it. The choke tower removal alone was something I wanted, but upon inspection of the venturis, I was dismayed at their smaller size/area. MUCH smaller on the 950, what?? I tried it anyway and BINGO, over .1 reduction in ET!! I think the velocity from the smaller venturis really complimented my overweight application. Now I would use an HP950 over a 750 in a stroker small block street/strip application, or on a mild big block without hesitation.

Thanks. You're confirming a problem I'm having with my main body too. (1.450)
Glad its not just me. I don't race until middle of next month so I'll have plenty of time to sabotage my self in other ways too.
Fix it till its broke.

Glad its not just me. I don't race until middle of next month so I'll have plenty of time to sabotage my self in other ways too.
Fix it till its broke.

Well, take courage. Giving what I'm experiencing, you've got the fastest 950 on the planet.
But I just found out today, my ProForm 950 body was shipped with the wrong air bleeds in it. (32/73)
I'm having an enormous transition problem, even though I've got it really fat.
But, I've got a plan.. once the new air bleeds show up.
Yet, in the back of my mind, I should have got the 750 body instead.

I have a healthy, all iron 440 in my super heavy (5300lb. with me aboard) '76 Gran Fury station wagon, that I was running a 4781 Holley 850DP on. I thought maybe it could stand some more airflow, so I bought a ProForm 950HP center section to try on it. The choke tower removal alone was something I wanted, but upon inspection of the venturis, I was dismayed at their smaller size/area. MUCH smaller on the 950, what?? I tried it anyway and BINGO, over .1 reduction in ET!! I think the velocity from the smaller venturis really complimented my overweight application. Now I would use an HP950 over a 750 in a stroker small block street/strip application, or on a mild big block without hesitation.

Smaller? really? They don't measure 1.450 ?

Well, take courage. Giving what I'm experiencing, you've got the fastest 950 on the planet.
But I just found out today, my ProForm 950 body was shipped with the wrong air bleeds in it. (32/73)
I'm having an enormous transition problem, even though I've got it really fat.
But, I've got a plan.. once the new air bleeds show up.
Yet, in the back of my mind, I should have got the 750 body instead.
I started with 26/71 as mine shipped with 32/73 also. The AFR was very erratic with the 26HSAB, went to the 32 and the AFR was dead nuts stable. Also went to the 73 IAB because with the 71 I only had the mixture screws out about half a turn. I can't say much about road manners as my car is track only with open collectors, but I'd venture a guess that it would like some T-slot restrictors as most double pumper carbs run off that circuit at light throttle.

I started with 26/71 as mine shipped with 32/73 also. The AFR was very erratic with the 26HSAB, went to the 32 and the AFR was dead nuts stable. Also went to the 73 IAB because with the 71 I only had the mixture screws out about half a turn. I can't say much about road manners as my car is track only with open collectors, but I'd venture a guess that it would like some T-slot restrictors as most double pumper carbs run off that circuit at light throttle.

Well that's encouraging... What metering blocks are you using? I set mine up like the RED Quik fuel blocks.. Maybe that was the wrong way to go.

Primary blocks off of 3310 750 vacuum sec carbs.
2 .026 emulsion holes with a .026 kill bleed in the upper angle channel.
.062 power valve channel restriction.
.035 idle fuel restriction.

-
Back