750 vs 850 vs 950 Holley

-
Along with 4-5-6 emulsions...
FWIW.... That is 'for real' useful engineering, that has been going on for over 60 years, at least. Weber had a lot of different emulsion tube patterns for their performance carbs by the 60's... the DCOE sidedrafts that I messed with in the early 80's had at least 10 different emulsion tube patterns to choose from. Changing them makes a big difference in how the carb mixes the mains AFR up through the RPM range. See here and the old emulsion tube page that shows 14 different ones:
TheSamba.com :: Performance/Engines/Transmissions - View topic - Emulsion Tube Break Down.. F-7's/F-11's

I find it encouraging that the American hot rod market carbs finally caught up to this idea.

FWIW.... That is 'for real' useful engineering, that has been going on for over 60 years, at least. Weber had a lot of different emulsion tube patterns for their performance carbs by the 60's... the DCOE sidedrafts that I messed with in the early 80's had at least 10 different emulsion tube patterns to choose from. Changing them makes a big difference in how the carb mixes the mains AFR up through the RPM range. See here and the old emulsion tube page that shows 14 different ones:
TheSamba.com :: Performance/Engines/Transmissions - View topic - Emulsion Tube Break Down.. F-7's/F-11's

I find it encouraging that the American hot rod market carbs finally caught up to this idea.

I have dicked with emulsion more that I care to admit and I can say I've never seen more that 2 emulsion holes have a benefit, unless you need to trim the fuel curve in a specific area. I may add a .022 hole in the bottom to clean up a rich spot at WOT.

I would expect that if anyone worked with some Webers, and started changing choke sizes (yes, the main venturi's are changeable) and such, and put them on 10-20 competely different engines types, then the different emulsion tube designs get really necessary. And the one-carb-throat-per-cylinder setups, with no common plenum, may make them even more necessary. I can remember changing between 2 quite different tubes, and the fuel curve, as judged from driving, ear, and plugs, was also quite different; it sure cleaned up a dead mid-range bog.

I know the feeling.... My advice to the younguns is get your stuff done by age 55...
LAMO! Danm true!

I myself feel like I got about to the half way mark on that. I’m not yet 55, but, I’m not getting anymore experimental play time in. I have the parts but not the cash to throw away on the toys. I’ll save that for later.

I can retire in 3 years. Everything will be good. Not great, but good enough to continue playing around.
Luck wasn’t exactly in my side. Just danm glad bad luck wasn’t pestering me to much.

Interesting.... What do you guys think causes this? Maybe too much air above the emulsion holes? (Oops the idles may not have a real 'tube'..)Or something unstable in the airstream higher up? Just curious....
The higher locations allows air to get on the other side of the IFR when manifold vac is low enough.
I don't know what the reasoning is behind the high IFR. Part of me thinks its just monkey see monkey do engineering.
Does seem that way. I've seen a few of these builders occassionaly post explanations. Maybe I'll find them and start a thread just on that.

I have one of the queer applications because every time I lower the IFR the car doesn't idle nearly as well. I have spent enough time on it that I gave up and moved them back up and let it go. Everyone I know moves them down, but for whatever reason, mine want to be up.
One use of a high idle position is providing a shot of extra fuel from the idle up-well. When the throttle is opened wide flow changes direction and goes from the idle upwell into the mainwell. This seems to be the reason secondary metering plates have the restriction up high. Maybe you have a situation where that extra shot is just what is needed. Mark Whitner's mentioned this, and Tuner explains it in post #23 here: Secondary metering plate vs Secondary Metering Block?

edit: Mark mentions it here, but in reference to the emulsion well.

Last edited:
The higher locations allows air to get on the other side of the IFR when manifold vac is low enough.
I like pictures. :)
Possible idle feed restriction locations are marked as follows:
H High position (at the junction with the air bleed passage)
P Below the plug in the metering block.
L Low position.

Fuel is shown at bowl level. That is, engine not running.
When the manifold vacuum is pulling pretty steady, even with the High position, the fuel will move up the well and through the restriction.
But when the pressure difference is strongly pulsing, the fuel in the well may easily drop back to the bowl level.

4150-Metering-block-ID-wells-fuel-IFRs.jpg

Last edited:
Flow tested a few carbs the other day, thought I'd share my findings. The Ultra HP carbs are the older design from around 2005 they are no longer sold.

Holley Ultra HP 750 part#80675
1.375 venturi / 1.687 base plate
819 cfm

Holley Ultra HP 950 part#80676
1.375 venturi / 1.75 base plate
825 cfm

Holley 850 "old style main body" part# 9380
Choke horn milled off, slabbed throttle shafts, annular boosters
1.58 venturi / 1.75 base plate
945 cfm

I'll be replacing the 1.375 main body of the 950 with a 1.45 main body and retesting in the coming weeks.

This test backed my suspicions about the true flow of the 950, as it was only able to make about 5 more HP than the 750 on an upper 500 HP 360 motor. 950 my *** lol, I know Holley took a lot of **** over that carb and the new XP950 has a 1.6 venturi because of it.

Whooah buddy....you can't just throw out cold hard facts that disrupt the "bigger is always better" crowd, LOL!

For some reason whenever I tell folks that I run a home built "750" Holley I get SOOOO much crap from the bigger is better folks (sure I would love a bigger carb, but I don't want to drop $1000 for a few hundredths of a second)....Kudos to you sir.

Last edited:
Whooah buddy....you can't just throw out cold hard facts that disrupt the "bigger is always better" crowed, LOL!

For some reason whenever I tell folks that I run a home built "750" Holley I get SOOOO much crap from the bigger is better folks (sure I would love a bigger carb, but I don't want to drop $1000 for a few hundredths of a second)....Kudos to you sir.
I hear ya. Always a gaggle of “know it all you don’t know **** don’t you read the internet and car rags!”

Flow tested a few carbs the other day, thought I'd share my findings. The Ultra HP carbs are the older design from around 2005 they are no longer sold.

Holley Ultra HP 750 part#80675
1.375 venturi / 1.687 base plate
819 cfm

Holley Ultra HP 950 part#80676
1.375 venturi / 1.75 base plate
825 cfm

Holley 850 "old style main body" part# 9380
Choke horn milled off, slabbed throttle shafts, annular boosters
1.58 venturi / 1.75 base plate
945 cfm

I'll be replacing the 1.375 main body of the 950 with a 1.45 main body and retesting in the coming weeks.

This test backed my suspicions about the true flow of the 950, as it was only able to make about 5 more HP than the 750 on an upper 500 HP 360 motor. 950 my *** lol, I know Holley took a lot of **** over that carb and the new XP950 has a 1.6 venturi because of it.

I suspect the blade angle was goofy on the 950. Maybe opening too far?
My 950 flows 1011cfm after adjusting blade opening...

I understand. But you will find they flow better when the throttle blade is arked over the shaft about 7° or so. Depending upon the shaft width, of coarse.
Do the primaries and secondaries separately. vary throttle opening and watch the manometer.

I suspect the blade angle was goofy on the 950. Maybe opening too far?
My 950 flows 1011cfm after adjusting blade opening...
What are the venturi and base plate bore diameters of your 950? Is it an HP Holley or different brand carb? Part #?

I understand. But you will find they flow better when the throttle blade is arked over the shaft about 7° or so. Depending upon the shaft width, of coarse.
Do the primaries and secondaries separately. vary throttle opening and watch the manometer.
I'll give that a try when I get the 1.45 main body carb on the bench.

skrews,
That's the funny part. The baseplate is an 850 Ebay knock off. (china)
And the body is a ProForm 67108C

But, it didn't flow that overnight... I had buyers remorse with the knock-off. (I wanted to try it, curious) I ended up completely redoing the baseplate, cause it was basically a anodized copy of a OE Holley baseplate (no big deal, I had the parts)
The usual deal, machined the shafts, button screws, and straightened the pump levers.
Then, all I had to do is find the optimum opening angle. This is by default, I do this on every carb. This is how it was shipped:

20180124_103057.jpg

Gross, huh?
Below is a pic showing my 'stop' for the primaries. 6/32 screw with the top ground down, center of pic.
20180124_122429.jpg

Also too, Holley throttle blades are oblong, (you probably know that..) but these were not.
If it were not for cam I'm running, this would be a major problem, because they do not seat completely. (a stockish motor would idle too high) I entended to idle off, both pri and sec, so no foul. In the end, it worked out fine.

Note to readers: DONT BUY THE CHEAP EBAY HOLLEY KNOCK OFFS

So you're opening the throttle blade to about 7° before 90° ?
I have used the China base plates, and they are poor quality. The last one I used had different length transition slots, and the vacuum port nipples were so crooked they looked as if Ray Charles put them in with his feet. I won't use the China knock off base plates anymore, too many issues to fix for little money saved.

So you're opening the throttle blade to about 7° before 90° ?
I have used the China base plates, and they are poor quality. The last one I used had different length transition slots, and the vacuum port nipples were so crooked they looked as if Ray Charles put them in with his feet. I won't use the China knock off base plates anymore, too many issues to fix for little money saved.

LOL Exactly..
The 7° figure is approximate, but close. It varies by the area the shaft takes up. Trial n error.
It's kinda fun, really. You never really know what you're going to end up with.
Let me know what you find. Is the SF1020 yours, or borrowed?

The engineers 50 or 60 years ago had the holley style carbs right.
Anyone ever flowed a 650 or 750 Mighty Demon?

I did a 650 a while back for a rules class that had to maintain the OE look. So the air horn had to say on, but the choke valve was removed. Flowed 709 that way, otherwise stock.
I swapped out the OE boosters for AED dog legs, 850 base plate = 792cfm

The bench is at the shop I used to work for.
The QFT/ProForm 1.45 main body carb wound up consisting of one of the aforementioned "fixed" China 1.75 base plates, 3310 primary blocks, and scrounged fuel bowls. So far it has ran the best of any carb to date at the 1/8th mile track. Still has some fuel curve issues to iron out. The best way to describe what its doing is the A/F is chugging back and forth about a little over half a point . Gonna try different main air bleeds next time out.

I have heard of people swapping boosters and pictures coming up 40-50hp on the dyno.

I did a 650 a while back for a rules class that had to maintain the OE look. So the air horn had to say on, but the choke valve was removed. Flowed 709 that way, otherwise stock.
I swapped out the OE boosters for AED dog legs, 850 base plate = 792cfm
Thanks for the info. The Mighty Demon I have came with downlegs, no choke and 1.69 throttle plate.

I have heard of people swapping boosters and pictures coming up 40-50hp on the dyno.

Can't confirm the power increase, but I did that on a 3310 atop a Weiand Excellorator for a 383..
EGT's were VERY close, cyl to cyl. It actually made more power than a NASCAR 830 Holley.

Once again, the case for bigger is better is blown out of the water yet again.

-
Back