8.25 will it hold up?

-

dodge69hemi

Reaction score
OK. big block- check, rebuilt trans with TCI internals and 3grand stall- check, rearend- still needed. So I have an 8.25. I'm not sure what gear. Questions are, are 8 and 1/4 rearends are good enough for a predicted 11.51 run. (used wallace racing online calculators to est. the run time) More so instead of buying a $2K Strange rearend already built and ready to drop in, if I buy some really decent parts from Randy's R&P and just rebuild it myself would the 81/4 hold up? I'm not looking for a drag car setup. What I have is every other weekend or so over summer take to strip and do a few runs. It is mostly for the street type of scenario. I'm just thinking of ways to get around finding a 8 3/4 and redoing that, because that'll just add up to the same price as the Strange. BTW, when the engine dynoed, I was pushing 453hp 437tq at the fly with tiny manifolds (now have 2inch primes and 3 1/2collects). I also will be spraying a 100shot eventually down the road (spray not dynoed). Thanks for the help.

Generally 450hp is the accepted limit for the 8.25, but it needs to be built properly. You can probably get more out of it going to a spool/anti C-clip set up and good axles. However, by the time you do all that, you are right back to an 8.75 cost range.

Why not get a b body housing and move the spring perches inboard 1''?
They are only a bit wider overall than the a body ones and you will save hundreds of dollars if you are on a budget......

Swap to the 8 3/4 or Dana now.The 8 1/4 is good for about 400hp,but when you add sticky tires it just won,t cut it.
I,ve snapped an axel in a 8 1/4 and the axl and wheel past me LOL I was lucky to not have done any damage to my 1/4 panel.Lesson learned.

ok thanks. now what about doing the 8.8 swap? i know there's a bunch of threads on them in here, but just looking for opinions on quality and ease of 8.8 swap. not looking for "how to's" since there are so many other threads.

-
Back