8 3/4 Axle Drilling for BB

-

olddog12

Reaction score
So I took my axles to two different machine shops today and both have told me that they dont feel there is enough of the flange on the axle to change it from 5 on 4 to 5 on 4 1/2. Can someone who has had this done chime in and perhaps if someone has a photo of one done they could post it.
Im very limited for machine shops close to me and only have one left to go and see, he told me 60 bucks on the phone which I think sounds way to cheap to do this. I never get that lucky.

So I took my axles to two different machine shops today and both have told me that they dont feel there is enough of the flange on the axle to change it from 5 on 4 to 5 on 4 1/2. Can someone who has had this done chime in and perhaps if someone has a photo of one done they could post it.
Im very limited for machine shops close to me and only have one left to go and see, he told me 60 bucks on the phone which I think sounds way to cheap to do this. I never get that lucky.

It surely can be done. It is not recommended though.
Not sure what it will cost these days but you'll need to use the screw in studs. This axle flange picture had the 4-1/2" BC drilled and tapped for the 1/2"-20 screw in. The 4" holes were welded up and ground flush with the flange faces.
MAKE SURE you get the pattern spacing exact or you may have issues with getting some wheel lugs on. The drum isn't quite as critical as it registers off the axle.

Attachments

• redrill1.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 301
  • redrilled2.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 280
Thanks Daves69, much appreciated!

Can you tell me what kind of vehicle screw in wheel studs would have came on? And out of curiosity, why not the pressed in ones?

Can you tell me what kind of vehicle screw in wheel studs would have came on? And out of curiosity, why not the pressed in ones?

The screw-ins are an aftermarket item such as these............

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/msr-8000

As you can see in the picture the screw-ins are already close to the OD of the flange. A 5/8" press in knurl is going to be even closer yet. Better to keep as much meat around the stud as possible.

Once again, it is possible to do although not recommended.

I bought a set of axles from Strange a few years ago, I would recommend pursuing that. I drilled my axles once back in the day, and under acceleration one day, the studs broke. No more of that!

I bought a set of axles from Strange a few years ago, I would recommend pursuing that. I drilled my axles once back in the day, and under acceleration one day, the studs broke. No more of that!

And given the cost of machining vs. new axles. Yet another reason to do it right the first time

Doctordiff sells Big bolt axles (I think Yukon) with new bearings already pressed on for 295.

Pretty good deal if you ask me.

Mine have grade 8 capscrews. Been that way since 1993 and 80K miles ago. They were done locally by Sutton Engineering who is a mopar guy. So I had no shipping costs.

I think Moser will redrill yours. With back and forth shipping from Nova Scotia, what is cost effective for you may be different than others.

There are two brothers near Greenwood in Kingston N.S. Their business is called A & J Automotive. They are very very good at what they do. Not sure how close you are to them. A friend of mine had his small bolt axles changed over to large bolt and these are the guys that did it. They did not redrill the axles. From what I understand they cut the small bolt flange off the axle and welded the large bolt flange on in its place. My buddy has had no issues at all and no vibrations. Give them a try. Bobby

There are two brothers near Greenwood in Kingston N.S. Their business is called A & J Automotive. They are very very good at what they do. Not sure how close you are to them. A friend of mine had his small bolt axles changed over to large bolt and these are the guys that did it. They did not redrill the axles. From what I understand they cut the small bolt flange off the axle and welded the large bolt flange on in its place. My buddy has had no issues at all and no vibrations. Give them a try. Bobby

Never thought of that.....I'll put that one in my back pocket.

Thanks QWKSLVR for that, they are about 4 hours from me. I had discussed that option with one shop and he didnt like that idea at all lol, said he would never be able to guarantee it to run true. At the cost of a machine shop as well to cut these off 4 axles and the weld it back on Id b close to the cost of a set of the axles mentioned above, and Id have to buy the BBP axles as well.

-
Back