8 3/4 axle upgrade question

-

Butch67

Reaction score
Hey,
I am going to be changing my 8 3/4 rear axles from SBP to BBP as I have moved the springs inboard and mini-tubbed the 71.
Anyone have suggestions for rear axle replacements?
I haven't decided on if I should shorten the rearend or just go with a larger offset rim. I am looking to put 29" x 12.5" tires on. Or something around that size.
I have 15" x 10" ralley rims already, but what do you think about 17" ralley rims instead?
Thanks,

If you're mini tubbed you might as well narrow the housing. Dr. Diff will make axles to whatever length you need.

When I did mine I used the yukon cut to fit axles. The ones they advertise as A body length were actually shorter than original A body axles and didn't work with old style sure grips (with two piece side gears). I also used big bolt pattern brake assemblies from a '74 A body 8 1/4. They bolt tight on. I would suggest chatting with Cass at Dr.diff. he has excellent prices, knows mopars, ships fast and is honest. I can't recommend him enough.

-Plan ahead.Drag slicks are available in 50 series 15s. Autocross kinda demands a lower profile, and sticky tire; Slim pickens in 15 inch.
-Brakes. If youre gonna need big brakes the often require larger diameter wheels.Plan ahead.
-For Street, it doesnt really matter.Personal preference or whatever shows up in your price range.
-Pick wheels that make you all tingly inside, put tires on em, and stuff them in the tubs. Measure up what you need and get it built.
-Or, Have your diff narrowed to fit a common backspace to keep your options open for later.I hate doing things twice.
-Opinions are like..........everybodys got one.In the end "you got to please yourself".

-Since you asked for an opinion on wheels, here it comes.
-295/50-15s on 10 inch rims with 4.5 bs look great;IMHO! Stick with 15s,unless you cant find a 15" tire for the competition that may interest you.
-The hands down bestest looking wheels for As are the polished aluminum slots of the muscle car era. Indy, Ansen, ETIIs; Theyre so beautiful. JMO. There it is.

I'll end up hong the same route, mini tub.
I picked up axles from Dr.Diff. Stock A body size for the 8-3/4 in a '71 Duster.
I just asked for the larger 5 on a 4-1/2 and it wasn't a problem.

I put 35 spline Moser Axles in mine, they work great....and I beat the crap out of my car on a regular basis.

Edit: Also mini-tubbed, stock width, 15x10 rims, just changed the back spacing to make the tires go under the car. Added a pic of each end of the car just for grins.

Attachments

• Cuda, rear.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 173
  • Cuda wheels UP, IMG_7535.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 187
-
Back