8 3/4 goes boom

-
I'm definitely not anti Dana. I'm anti spending right now. I agree Dana would be better.
So do I just go to a junk yard and buy a complete rear axle from a truck, then put the good axles/gears/spool in it, or would you recommend I buy a new unit from someone like Moser and have them narrow it for me?

I'm definitely not anti Dana. I'm anti spending right now. I agree Dana would be better.
So do I just go to a junk yard and buy a complete rear axle from a truck, then put the good axles/gears/spool in it, or would you recommend I buy a new unit from someone like Moser and have them narrow it for me?

I am fixing to do just that myself. I have a local junkyard that has a dana 60 with a 4:10 open gear in it, I can buy compleat for 150.00 My plan is to cut the ends, shorten to A body width, install a spool and a set of 35 spline axles. I will do all the work myself, as I do have a narrowing jig, and should get out for about 600 I think.

I am fixing to do just that myself. I have a local junkyard that has a dana 60 with a 4:10 open gear in it, I can buy compleat for 150.00 My plan is to cut the ends, shorten to A body width, install a spool and a set of 35 spline axles. I will do all the work myself, as I do have a narrowing jig, and should get out for about 600 I think.
Man, I wish I could do that kind of work myself, I'm gonna have to lay out big bucks to get this done!

Okay guys, you've convinced me. I'm going with a Dana 60 rear end. Gotta have it narrowed, spring perches relocated, replace diff. with spool/etc.

If you can't do it yourself, buy a complete unit. It's easier and not much more money than having to source everything yourself and finding a place to do it.

Okay guys, you've convinced me. I'm going with a Dana 60 rear end. Gotta have it narrowed, spring perches relocated, replace diff. with spool/etc.

good choice.... You won't regret it, especially at your power level. as I mentioned before, DR. DIFF can have the axle made to order. It'll show up at your door with the axles you want, spool, gear ratio, width ready for your mounts... and he's a phone call away if you have questions/concerns.

look at a complete new modern Dana 60, 35 spline, any length from Strange for about $1900.
I looked, I guess that would be what they call S60?
More like $2050.
About $100 cheaper than Moser though...
Calling Dr. Diff, Strange and Moser tomorrow....

I ordered my S-60 directly from Strange, it was $1940 to my place of work.

I looked, I guess that would be what they call S60?
More like $2050.
About $100 cheaper than Moser though...
Calling Dr. Diff, Strange and Moser tomorrow....

what spline count are your axles now? if you have 35 spline axles now you can use them in your Dana and save from having to buy new axles. after i blew up the 8-3/4 in my 65 Plymouth. I sent a Dana 60 housing to moser here is what it cost me.

$90 dollars to ship with UPS
i think it was $150 to have moser cut down and weld new housing ends on my Dana 60 that i got out of a mid 70 3/4 ton ford
Moser 35 spline spool,4.56 gears ,all the bearings etc to set the rear-end up,billet 1350 yolk,chrome diff cover. This was about 6 years ago, but i had around 800-900 dollars in the Dana 60 not counting the moser 35 spline axles that came out of my broke 8-3/4. so the prices i posted might be higher. like you said i would call doctor Diff, Cass is great to work with and will help you get what you need to make your car safe to race with.

What gear ratio was you ruining? i blew up a set of some what new Richmond 4.10 on my 5th pass of racing my dart fro the first time with its 600 HP 440.I say 600 becasue my 73 dart weighed 3520 with me in it and my best time that day before the rear-end went boom was a 10.66 at 125.00 in the 1/4. also my 8-3/4 has a back-brace. do you have a LBA valve body? if not i would get one. well like you i dint have the money to put the Dana in the dart at the time so i installed a set of used Richmond 4.30 gears and after 25 passes they are still going strong, but my car is not making the power yours is, so my advice probably wont do you any good. Got any pics of the tore up 8-3/4 gears? well hope you get the car fixed and are back out there racing soon.

what spline count are your axles now? if you have 35 spline axles now you can use them in your Dana and save from having to buy new axles. after i blew up the 8-3/4 in my 65 Plymouth. I sent a Dana 60 housing to moser here is what it cost me.

$90 dollars to ship with UPS
i think it was $150 to have moser cut down and weld new housing ends on my Dana 60 that i got out of a mid 70 3/4 ton ford
Moser 35 spline spool,4.56 gears ,all the bearings etc to set the rear-end up,billet 1350 yolk,chrome diff cover. This was about 6 years ago, but i had around 800-900 dollars in the Dana 60 not counting the moser 35 spline axles that came out of my broke 8-3/4. so the prices i posted might be higher. like you said i would call doctor Diff, Cass is great to work with and will help you get what you need to make your car safe to race with.

What gear ratio was you ruining? i blew up a set of some what new Richmond 4.10 on my 5th pass of racing my dart fro the first time with its 600 HP 440.I say 600 becasue my 73 dart weighed 3520 with me in it and my best time that day before the rear-end went boom was a 10.66 at 125.00 in the 1/4. also my 8-3/4 has a back-brace. do you have a LBA valve body? if not i would get one. well like you i dint have the money to put the Dana in the dart at the time so i installed a set of used Richmond 4.30 gears and after 25 passes they are still going strong, but my car is not making the power yours is, so my advice probably wont do you any good. Got any pics of the tore up 8-3/4 gears? well hope you get the car fixed and are back out there racing soon.
I have 35 spline axles, which Moser says are good to 1000 HP. I didn't know they used the same bearing size, thanks! Current ratio is 4.56, yes I have a LBA valve body.
I might just go ahead and get new axles anyway. I'm thinking it might make the 8 3/4" easier to sell as a package if it included axles.

I bought my 340 duster/4 speed in 1981 with a schaefer 5.38 gear set with 3 teeth broken off the 8.75 ring gear. the sure grip had cracked gears, set up with a spool and 5.13 gears and new bearings-$600. narrowed it for 11" wide tires with C body axles, $250, snapped the driver side axle end off on 3rd pass first time to Epping. new race axles and bearings-$400. 2014-on the street 3 teeth off the ring gear and the driver side axle twisted and bent-replacement cost-$500. GO 35 spline Dana 60

UPDATE:
Dana 60 installed! Rear end is Moser with 35 spline axles and spool and Richmond Gear drag race only 4.56 ring & pinion. Next step: driveshaft needs to be shortened. Will take it to the local guys Monday. Meanwhile, the tranny is getting pulled and will have it gone through. If there is no damage I'll still have new clutches/bands/etc. put in. The tranny has been raced for 2 years so it's prob. about time for a look inside.
going to Ennis to watch NHRA fall Nationals tomorrow. Wish I was racing instead of just watching.....

9" or Ford 8.8 on a budget. The 8.8 can be built to handle low 8's maybe even better. Dana's are for your tow rig IMO

Dana is more efficient than an 8 3/4, and really only about 30 pounds heavier if you use a spool in it. Even less if you spend the $ for nice aftermarket brakes.

Dana is more efficient than an 8 3/4, and really only about 30 pounds heavier if you use a spool in it. Even less if you spend the $ for nice aftermarket brakes.

Spool yes, same breaks
I'll start my own thread

UPDATE:
Dana 60 installed! Rear end is Moser with 35 spline axles and spool and Richmond Gear drag race only 4.56 ring & pinion. Next step: driveshaft needs to be shortened. Will take it to the local guys Monday. Meanwhile, the tranny is getting pulled and will have it gone through. If there is no damage I'll still have new clutches/bands/etc. put in. The tranny has been raced for 2 years so it's prob. about time for a look inside.
going to Ennis to watch NHRA fall Nationals tomorrow. Wish I was racing instead of just watching.....
Driveshaft is now at the shop and tranny is pulled, will take it in tomorrow. Things are coming together....

UPDATE:
Tranny is back from the builder and installed! Just need to break in new gears and I'm ready for the track next weekend, if it ever stops raining here in Central Texas!
UPDATE: Got the gears broke in and car is in the trailer waiting for a rainless weekend to go racing!!

Excellent to hear this. Did the trans need any big work? On the rear, what's the details? Cost, equipment ... (You can nut shell it...)
Thanks and good luck.

-
Back