8-71 alky blower on the street ?

-

604B1duster

Reaction score
I have an 8-71 that has teflon stripped rotors and a coated case. Can this be run with gas ? Will the teflon strips create too much heat ? If so will it still make boost with them removed from the rotors ? Thanks

I wouldn't remove the teflon strips. I have a hard anodized case and rotors on my 8-71 with 6 point teflon strips. I think the alky ones run nylatron strips and my even use 18 point strips. Can you check the rotor end clearances to case? Was this blower originally setup for alky?
I say run it as is.

Between case and rotors ? I will check. Not sure if it was original or redone for alky. It came off a 498 Indy head motor with two 950 alky carbs. It has a Littlefield sticker on it and EP on front cover.

Between case and rotors ? I will check. Not sure if it was original or redone for alky. It came off a 498 Indy head motor with two 950 alky carbs. It has a Littlefield sticker on it and EP on front cover.

I believe alky blowers run tighter clearances because of the cold intake charge.Gas blowers require more clearance because of the extra heat.

My 10-71 has strips but the speed that you spin the blower and clearances create more heat than the Teflon.

604, the answer is: It depends. If the blower was originally set up for alcohol, then it was set up with tighter clearances than a gas blower would normally use. However, if it's a used unit with much time on it at all, then the blower is probably loose enough to use with gas.

Just as a footnote, all of the blowers I've purchased over the years had teflon stips, and units built for gas will have a notable amount of drag until they get warm. An alcohol unit will have significant drag and I was unable to turn their rotors with one hand.

Therefore, if you can spin the blower with one hand, and it still has some drag, it will work fine on gas as a street unit. If it takes two hands, the clearances may be a little tight for a gas, street, setup...

Good luck and be sure to put some pics up once you've completed it.

Southernman

-
Back